->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:48 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Forum rules

Post subject: PB Mahseer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:43 am 
Fishaholic

Hi folks!

I've been fishing a bit of freshwater lately due to the travel restrictions and the monsoon on the west coast. Haven't been taking a lot of pics lately, but I'm hoping to do so in my upcoming trips. A lot of times I've had hooks and split rings open up on my lures, but I think I am getting better with it every time I get out and fish. Last week I caught my personal best mahseer that weighed six pounds on a tiny popper. I know it's not big by any chance for a mahseer, but I'm hoping that it'll better :-)

Cheers,

Maruthu

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: PB Mahseer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:22 am 
Enlightened

@ Maruthu

great job on the masheer ...i have been following ur vids and they have been really inspirational in me wanting to take up some freshwater fishing .Keep up the good work and keep us in the loop with ur posts here

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:12 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Maruthu,

Yes, saw that on YouTube ..... congratulations!

Just what is the issue with the split rings and hooks? Is it on a particular brand of lure? I have seen you change to single hooks on some lures, are they also opening up?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:13 pm 
Fishaholic

@Websinner

Thank you and will do!

I can't wait to get to the saltwater though....

@Kingfish

Thank you! Those were stock split rings on the Sure Catch and Zerek Lures. I have now upgraded the split rings to Mustad saltism split rings on the lures. Even those single hooks are getting straightened out with Mahseer. I am planning to go with assist hooks from now or use a braided line to tie the hooks to the lures instead of the split rings. Here's a video on doing that to avoid the leverage the fish gets....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLNJUthjL5E

Maruthu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:08 am 
Fishaholic

That's a nice picture Maruthu !!

Get the bigger ones, and if I am coming to fish with you next time I am throwing only the larger lures- halco roosta poppers, and 6 inch bombers, mag minnows of course hooks upgraded to saltwater grade, and not mess around with the smaller fish !!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:44 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Maruthu,

I do not have any Sure Catch fishing gear, so cannot pass judgement.

However, I am surprised at the Zerek hardware failing..... they sell quality products and are expensive.

I have bought some Zerek Manic Vibes here in Sydney, after seeing their all around fish catching ability on your YouTube channel. I hope that these are not the one's that are losing their rings/ hooks!

Regards,

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:28 am 
Fishaholic

I recall losing a large fish when I went Mahseer fishing in Pancheshwar, Uttarkhand, a couple of years ago.

I was using a Sebile Vibe with single Owner or Decoy hooks and these were easily opened up by the Mahseer.

The recommendation by the outfitters was to use BKK Diabolo hooks in lieu of any others but I was

unable to get hold of any prior to the trip.

I may go with the BKK single hooks on the Zerek Manic Vibes, rather than assisted hooks or braid.

However, I will keenly watch how Maruthu does with his modifications!

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:24 am 
Fishaholic

Maruthu,

It looks like Zerek have heard of your complaint and my recommendation!

I notice that the recent Zerek Manic Vibes that I bought a couple of weeks ago come with BKK hooks.

They may have had feedback that the original hooks were weak and upgraded to BKK.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:05 am 
Fishaholic

Binu, for some reason I thought that the Mahseer preferred smaller lures around 3.5 inches, even the larger fish. I've seen huge mahseer trying to attack those little lures I threw at them. I understand what you are saying with bigger lures and I am also planning to throw bigger lures for at least the first half a dozen casts before switching to smaller lures. Hoping to land a big one sometime soon.

Maruthu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:16 am 
Fishaholic

Kingfish,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the mahseer in Pancheshwar. I will try the upgrades I was talking about earlier first before buying more tackle that may not even available in India (I think). But if it comes down to BKK hooks, then I'll have to get them anyway but I'll try a couple of different things first. Who knows how it turns out.

I'm glad that Zerek upgraded the hardware on the manic vibes. I've had both the split rings opening up and bent trebles separately on the Zerek manic vibe on multiple occasions. Can you please share a pic of the manic vibe (with the packaging if possible) you have the stock heavy-duty hardware. Sometimes, these lure manufactures might have different versions for freshwater and saltwater. Eitherway, I'll let the guys from whom I buy these lures about the heavy-duty hardware on these lures that they might need to look into the next time they're stocking them.

Maruthu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:25 am 
Fishaholic

In the meanwhile here's a large single hook on a z-man original chatterbait opened up by a good size mahseer a couple of days ago. Will upload the video by today or tomorrow at the latest.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Maruthu,

I tried to download pictures of the Manic Vibe packages several times today, without success.

I keep getting a message to the effect that I do not have enough words to incorporate the images.

Anyhow, the package reads :

.Hook: BKK 6066 4X NP #6

These are treble hooks.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:37 pm 
Fishaholic

I was also told to bring smaller sizes of spoons for Mahseer when I went to Pancheshwar.

In this case, I was told to use the small size Lil Cleo spoons in 3/8 oz and these certainly caught more Mahseer than the larger 3/4 oz ones.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank you for the info on the spoons and the size. I think with Mahseer there's something to do with the size of the lure that even the big ones prefer. I'm still experimenting and always will be....

Regarding the image, once you get the error after you upload the image, you can just type the text in the editor and click post and it will come through with the image. Happened to me as well when I tried to post the pics in this thread.

Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:35 am 
Fishaholic

@Maruthu, I've been following you on YouTube man Facebook man. Those are some epic catches in water one would not expect to have such big Mahseers. You're doing some good work man and I am learning a lot.

I hope to fish with you someday and learn more.

Keep these catches coming, cheers...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:19 am 
Fishaholic

@Ulygun,

Thank you and I'm glad that you like watching my videos.

Yes, looking forward to meeting you in person and fish with you when you're around here.

Cheers,

Maruthu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:21 am 
Fishaholic

The rivers are flooded at the moment and it's going to be while before I get back at it, but when I do, I am planning to fish properly for Mahseer in places that hold the giants. Until then, I'll be heading to the west coast for salt water fishing once the monsoon passes. Keeping fingers crossed....

Cheers!

Maruthu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:12 am 
Fishaholic

Nice Maruthu, I think my best Mahseer may have been just 2LB, a 6 lb one would make me very happy :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank you Bobby!

The rivers are flooded now and I think it's going to be a while before I get to catch another Mahseer.

How are things on your side with Corona and the situation in Hong Kong?

Cheers!

Maruthu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:08 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Maruthu,

I think I saw the video of this fish on Youtube, quite enjoyed watching it.

Hong Kong was into her 3rd Corona wave and it was the worst, for the first time wearing masks in public was made compulsory However over the last week there has been a steady decline in new cases daily. Hope you are are well. This virus is that it affects different people differently and a lot of the people take it lightly, only when someone close is serious does it hit home of how deadly it can be. My friend from Melbourne was on the Diamond princess, they were all quarantined on the together, all were infected, his son showed no symptoms at all, his daughter showed very mild symptoms, his wife was a little worse and he almost died. They were infected in Dec/Jan his wife has recovered but lost her sense of taste and smell since.

Bobby

Bobby

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:12 pm 
Fishaholic

@Bobby,

I'm glad that you enjoyed the video and it's nice to hear that the new cases are going down where you are. Things are getting worse day by day here and with the population we have, I'm not sure where this is going to lead us. We have to wait and see at the same time try to be more careful as well. Sorry to hear about your friend's family and losing taste and smell can be a lot difficult. Stay safe!

Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:12 am 
Fishaholic

Controlling Corona in India was always going to be difficult, next to impossible really and when it hit here first I kept warning all my friends in India. Given the level of education (of the masses), the lack of discipline and just the sheer volume of people, the only way out of it is a vaccine or if the virus just goes away. Lets hope the world is done with this menace as soon as possible.