->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:31 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:04 pm 

Hi

Sorry to bother you all but I was hoping that someone who had fished on the Ramganga near Corbett might be able to answer a couple of questions I have about fishing in that area.

I am going to be spending a week fishing in that area at the end of May start of June and am looking at accommodation options – there seem to be two options one is being based in Marchula and then using that as a base for fishing, I believe there are beats within walking distance from he residence and the other option is staying in Ramnagar and then using that as a base to go fishing from every day.

I appreciate there are rules about what can and cannot be recommended on this forum but I had a few general queries – would people recommend basing myself in Marchula or Ramnagar and would people recommend using a fishing guide or is it not really necessary? I will be fishing both for mahseer and for goonch and I was wondering whether it is allowed to fish two rods at once (I will be using a pod/alarm for the goonch rod), or is the rule one rod per angler? Finally, how easy is it to obtain bait for goonch – I was intending trying live baiting so obviously that will not be a problem, but I have also heard that goat stomach / chicken organs can be successful and was wondering how easy these are to obtain?

I have also heard about the infinity pool on the Kosi River, I appreciate that this does not sound like fishing in the conventional sense, but I would quite like to see it and maybe spend one afternoon of easier fishing at the pool – is it possible for anyone to fish here or do you have to be a guest at infinity resorts?

Any comments or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:06 pm 
Fishaholic

You can base youself at Ramnagar, KMVN Guest House. The same place has air conditioned rooms now if required. For license you can call the CNP HO at Ramnagar (05947-251489).

Beat Nos. 1 & 2 should be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:48 am 

Hi ashokpkl,

Thank you very much for your response, it is greatly appreciated. I have noted the points about beats one and 2, I have also heard that there is an area in Corbett at Domunda where the fishing is good but an extra entry fee has to be paid – have you ever fished this area and do you know if it is worth the extra fee – to access beats 1 and 2 is it best to catch the bus from Ramnagar to Marchula?

Tight lines

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:30 am 
Fishaholic

Well, its all "extra fee's" these days! Focus on the area with max potential and call up the Ramnagar HO for the fee structure.

If you are spinning remember to take a few Rapala (or equivalent) plugs with you. Spinners and spoons seem to be working a lot less with Mahseer.

Best wishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:33 pm 

Many thanks for your help; it does indeed seem that there are a lot of extra fees. I am a bit surprised at how expensive fishing is in Corbett but I suppose if people are willing to pay then they can charge what they want. I hope some of the money is going back into looking after the fish and ensuring their future and I will take your advice and call Ramnagar HO for the fee structure prior to my arrival.

I was going to take a few lures with me I had heard the rapala jointed minnows were quite good but that I should change up to stronger hooks than those they come with – I am not a fan of using trebles unnecessarily and was therefore thinking of going with two single strong barbed hooks instead – I have also read of the phenomenon you note with regard to less takes occurring on lures than used to be the case and had heard that this was due to the amount of bait that now goes into the water for the fish coupled with their getting more used to angling pressure – I had heard that bread is working very well this days, but that is always a difficult bait to use for any length of time on a fast running river, so imitation bread might be the way to go but I was also looking forward to trying to catch with the more traditional approaches of chilwa and ragi.

Thank you for your help best wishes and tight lines.

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:48 am 
Fishaholic

After my visit on April 27-29 some suggestions are - Beat No.1 upstream of Marchula bridge is the least productive and will cost Rs.1600/rod/day. Beat No.2 is closed. Beat No.3 (Vanghat) is good and will cost Rs.1900/rod/day. Beat No.4 should be good too.

Jointed Rapala are working good but so it bread/buns which seem to outfish other baits/lures. Spoons no longer seem to work and spinners are poor performers too.

Looks like very clear water and "educated" Mahseer are to blame!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:19 pm 

Hi thanks for the update, it is very useful did you catch many?

It is not long now until I am there now - I will be fishing from 2 June through until 8 June - I have booked into the resort in the end because it was beside the river - I am taking a couple of Rapala jointed lures with me from the research I had done J-11s and J-13s were suggested as effective lures, so ahve gone with a J-11 in silver minnow and a J-13 in firetiger - I had heard bread was fishing well and I am going to try a little trick we have here involving a bread bait, which allows you to fish the same piece of bread for a very long time without it coming off even in fast river conditions - if it works well I will put up some pics. Fingers crossed I will manage to bank one or two.

I was also wondring whether you livebait much with chilwa and if so how easy are chilwa to catch - do you just take them on light tackle and bread?