->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:24 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Gear for Mahseer- spoons
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:25 am 
Fishaholic

Continuing my topic on Mahseer gear, I did some further digging on the various types of spoons needed to catch Mahseer in India.

The outfitters whom I will use for my fishing and forum members ( Indian Angler),as well as a lot of scribes on the internet, had recommended the usual Acme Lil Cleos and Kastmasters spoons as must haves for Mahseer .... good advice and I got a supply of these.

Interestingly, I have come across a new manufacturer of spoons while going through an Internet site , whose products have received good reviews.

It is a Chinese firm trading as "Highseas". Their spoons are shown below and are quite nice although I have yet to use them. Another plus point is that a set of 6 lures of different colours cost only US$17, with free postage!

At this price, one can afford to try them out and not be too disappointed at losing a few to snags etc.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:51 am 
Fishaholic

The hooks and rings on these lures seem ok for fish that are not as strong as Mahseer. However, I will be replacing the split rings with either Halco or Owners.

The treble hooks will be discarded and a barbless Gamakatsu single hook fitted, to comply with the outfitters instructions.

These lures have a good heft to them and are not flimsy, unlike cheap lures that are copies of well known brands.

Kingfish

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:47 am 
Fishaholic

A correction.

The firm selling the above lures is " Hisea".

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:30 am 
Fishaholic

Feedback time.

The gold Chinese spoon cast extremely well and enabled me to reach deeper waters which were at a distance from where I was standing , when I fished the Ramganga river in India recently for Mahseer ... it also had a good action in the water and was the only spoon on which a hit was registered.

I will probably order some more of these, as they are every bit as good as the Lil Cleos.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:39 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Feedback time.

The gold Chinese spoon cast extremely well and enabled me to reach deeper waters which were at a distance from where I was standing , when I fished the Ramganga river in India recently for Mahseer ... it also had a good action in the water and was the only spoon on which a hit was registered.

I will probably order some more of these, as they are every bit as good as the Lil Cleos.

Kingfish

Thank you for the feedback Kingfish!
Not that I am looking to buy fishing or go Mahseer fishing anytime soon, but a follow up post/feedback is something that'll help fellow anglers/the community a lot!

Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:54 pm 
Fishaholic

You are right Maruthu, it is nice to receive feedback from fellow anglers so that one has a better understanding of the conditions and equipment used.

Hopefully, it may help those planning such a trip in the future.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:40 am 
Fishaholic

Kingfish,
I haven't fished for Mahseer, but these spoons look great. Did you have any luck with the spinners?
I usually fish slab style metals like the Kastmaster or the hopkins. I have fished different sizes of kastmaster from a 1/12 oz till 3 oz. I have probably caught more than 200 fish on a single 1/8 oz kastmaster mostly small bluefish. Give the hopkins shorty a try, they come in different sizes as well and are well made.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:05 am 
Fishaholic

Binu,

Nothing worked on the recent trip to the Ramganga for Mahseer. We tried spoons, plugs, spinners and soft plastics. Some halfhearted hits on the Chinese gold spoon and the soft plastic which did not convert into a fish.

I have some Kastmasters here in Sydney and will try them on our tailor (bluefish).

We tend to use the Australian Halco "Twisty" metals a lot as these are readily available and reasonably priced, it is one of my go to lures around the world. Caught a large variety of fish on them.

See if you can get hold of some in the States, I highly recommend them.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Sorry to hear about the Mahseer trip, better luck next time.
I haven't fished the halco twisty yet, but see it available here online. I have heard good reviews about the twisty, I will buy one next time at cabelas.

Regards
Binu