->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:50 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:32 am 
Fishaholic

I must have spent countless days and nights agonising over what rods and reels I should take for Mahseer fishing on the Ramganga.

The outfitters had made general recommendations advising the length of rods(6-8 ft) for the Ramganga, with a medium-fast/fast action, rated for 12-25 lb line and a 3lb test curve.

This is ok if you have a rod of this type or can purchase one especially for this trip .However, in my case, I had plenty of rods but I try to take travel rods only for ease of transport.

Reels had to be of " good quality.Good stopping power,and precise,smooth drags with LOTS OF LINE
( ideally 200-300 yards)."

The reels were not a problem.

So I have wound up deciding to take two rods ( Shimano Beastmaster and Exage, as my heavy and light rods respectively) and a Saltist 4500h and a lighter Pflueger Salt 50 reel.

See below:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by kingfish on Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:36 am 
Fishaholic

With these important items decided upon, one is left with the nitty gritty of choosing lines, leaders and lures.

The outfitters do provide a comprehensive list for these items.....perhaps too comprehensive! You have to sift through the list and put together items that you decide to take , being ruthless is an advantage!

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:55 am 
Fishaholic

Lines for Mahseer.

The outfitters suggest 30-50 lb braided line in a low visibility green colour.

So I will either have to replace the Hi Vis Yellow line on the above reels, which will be time consuming and costly, or innovate.

Am thinking of simply top shotting the last 50-80 yards with the required low visibility green line, joining the two lines with a double Uni Knot. Should work and would save a lot of work and braid line.

Leaders.

They recommend fluorocarbon leaders and I will carry the excellent " Black Magic" brand, available Down Under, in several different test weights.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:30 am 
Fishaholic

Black Magic Fluoro Leaders

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:24 am 
Fishaholic

Feedback time.

It turned out that with the lower water levels and slower currents in the Ramganga in November, the guide at the lodge decided that the lighter Exage rod would suffice for all spinning.

I had installed a Shimano Symmetre 4000 reel on it, loaded with 30lb camouflage braid from Suffix and this was an ideal outfit for the fishing.

A slight amendment was made to the fluoro leader. The guide said that due to the gin clear water, the Mahseer would be very spooky and he then changed the leader to 17lb, instead of the 30lb leader that I had tied on. It would mean that the fish would have to be played very carefully if caught.

Just something to keep in mind if you fish these waters late in the year.

Kingfish