->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:43 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Miri Inshore CR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:45 pm 

Hello Friends my first CR ... pardon my writeup ....

7th April –

Started from docks at 7am – first stop about 15nm –

3 roads started trolling – rapala magnum sardine – mann deep diver and rapala minnow – no strike in 1 hrs.

Spot two a a reef/coral nearby - try the above ones – no go…changed to the new ones I got some laser eye – and bluerunner/silver bottom . after trolling for about 30 mins got a big hit and my reel was Geeeezzzzzzzz
The music we all love – I held the rod and started tighting the drag …the fish got a good hookup now but was still making short runs ... by this time my drag is now full and fish pulling my line from around 80~ … being I try giving the thump hold on the line but still gzzzzzzzz . finally manage to lock the line somehow but then the worst – BOOM .. line bust.

Meantime my other mate also line bust 2 times… what the heck .. power pro braid 50ld though a year and half old ..used probably 20 times..line bust and leader(80lb) bust.

Total lost 5 Trolling lures –
Fish : 0
8th April :

Went to a store in city name – Xgear I guess they had all the goodies got a 50 lb braid spolled on one of my reel .
Spolled 50 lb mono on another conv reel .

Start at 10 –

Same spots – no luck for around 2 hours then my mate caught a small tingeri a humble one of just about a 1kg.. after 2 hrs of trolling I got a huge strike again …the fight went well and this time I could pull it much closer aroung~30 feel and suggenly the line felt nothing.. confused what happened ? this time it was my killi which was got open straight – 50lb test killie how come …no clue.

This time went home 1 fish.

12th April –

Meet a local friend who is regular - but he does do hand line only …. This time 4 of us went ahead –I seen a new technique which I was not aware of …

A fresh fish is rigged with 3 hooks mouth belly and back .. a float is tied ~1 feel and cast it in direction it will float away from boat on anchor… one it went ~150 feet or so u just give small jerks…I know popping with poppers but here its was fish –local name Gambong seems tingiri like it … while I was casting my poppers and trying the same the new buddy on boat got 1 fish on boat already ~3.5 kg.. after a while another one on boat same size abound 3 kg.. I was depressed and gave my rod to other friend to try ..

2 Fish total Catch – 6.1kg

13th April –

I was completely lost – no catch for days straight – is it the skill or my gear – I think both my gear is not branded the only reel with a good name is okuma ~17lb drag and 5.1.1 .

Finally made my mind and told everyone I will go one more time and if I don’t make a decent catch then no tak fish for next 6 months….

Last night I thought to try the fresh fish – got 3 Kg Gambong 19 fishes . got help from mates in doing the wire rigs for the fishes ..and we were out in boat at 8.15 am – the water was good again went same spot ..

Started with trolling ….4 people, Non First in just 15 mins with trolling lure … looking at this I changes to a smaller lure of the size he used but no go…

Non :
Ujang
Abang
ME

I gave up the hard baits and took the rigged gambong – tied to a L and boom let it go … first strike in 30 mins…excited but also scared for disappointment …Started to reel in fast … again small reel it was full to hear the music of the line peeling off .. finally got it in the boat ~3.5+ tingerri …

Same time while this fish was being pulled into boat my other buddy abang also got one in boat…

We anchored at one spot - the kampong stryine casting the gambong and chumming the water … in next 3 hrs each of us were on count of 2 fish each and the size smallest will be 3kg…

All even then ujang got a strike ..and he started saying basar …big one ..but about 10 mins the fish in boat looked like 5+ kg only ….

Now Ujang was leader – me feeling happy but little envy too ..someone using the rod for 2nd time got 3 lol ..he was quite skill full I guess , they way he prepare the rigs and play the fish wah…

Just when we were planning to head back I got a strike .. and it feelt big and good… folks my biggest one so far was 3.7 kg sail fish ..so anything above that is big to mee loll….

When near the boat the fish just moved to other side of the boat I had to pull my rod over the boat cover and move to other side….it was a good fight about 10mins I guess…fish in boat I was happy that it look bigger then my previous catches I think about 5kg …. With this we ended the day…

Total Catch : 10
Missed and Bust : 6 + 1

I market the fish ujang and I caught just to check how much it was … ujang fish came to 5.9 KG and mine 6.2 KG
So finally I had a good day saving grace …..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:11 pm 

Image[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:12 pm 

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/152/p4130252x.jpg/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:15 pm 

sorry didnt know to upload pics but here are few

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/341/p4130253.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/p4130256y.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/205/p4130257.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/806/p4130258.jpg/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:12 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats Syed.

You've got yourself treated with some nice specimen of narrow barred mackerel. I will upload the pics for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:21 pm 

thanks teritex for adding the pics ... not knowing how i did struggle to upload...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Congratulations :)
Thanks for sharing...

Saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats for a successful days fishing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Syedhu,

congrats.. good catch.. we had similar incidents last year...but dont go too technical.. just find out which is the weakest point in your gear..be it the Rod, Reel, Line, swivels, mono, knot strength, leader line or wire, hook.. set the drag to the weakest point.. if you have a strike.. the fish is yours as long as you keep the line tight..

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:19 pm 

Hey bro im from kuching and come to miri once a month , maybe we can meet Up. nice pictures . i used to work there in miri in 2008