I am still a beginner when it comes to angling, and so have a lot more to learn. I wanted to learn about trolling, and so had some basic questions.
1. Can trolling be done with a spinning set up? yes, but a trolling rod with conventional reel (non levelwind model) is ideal.
2. What leader should be used? depends on target species,heavy mono for bill fish, wire for surmai,barracuda.
3. What should be the length of the leader? when I troll clarks spoon, it's mono to trolling sinker to at least 25 ft of heavier mono then 3-4 ft wire to spoon.
4. How to start, i.e., when the boat reaches the spot, is that the time to let the lure in the water? experience will tell you
5. How much line should be left out, I mean from the tip of the rod to the lure when trolling? depends ,trolling 2, 4,6 rods, outriggers, down riggers..
6. Can spinning lures be used for trolling? yes, but trolling lures are designed for trolling, spinning lures can be trolled but tend to skip since they are not designed for the job.
7 Can trolling be done with small lures? halco laser pro 120 very effective but remember big lures big fish...
8. How do we know the speed of the boat? I mean, the boats here are just basic without any speedo meter. again experience wil tell you....trolling is done from 1-2 knots (live/dead bait) 4-10 knots artificial lures and also some lures are desigend to run at 15-20 knots
9. What are good places to troll? trolling is a blue water game but you can troll over reefs also depending on the lure.
10. What is the good time to troll? morning, evenings, all day depending on sea conditions
11. How to troll in rocky areas and avoid snags? run shallow divers and be well versed with the terrain (depth, structures)
There is so much more I wanna know. :)
For now I will stop here.