->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:16 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Self Regulation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:09 pm 
Fishaholic

While meeting different members and discussing about Indian Game fishing, every one has of the opinion that there should be some regulation to define this sport.

In absence of any such regulation, as the only forum, dedicated to game fishing, it is up to all of us to define the frame work for such regulations and try to implement the same through creating awareness and self implementation.

Through this thread, lets all ponder and share, what should be the basic sprite of such regulations.

Defining endangered species and considering them all release category will be an obvious choice.

Releasing the female (Brooder Stock) should be considered.

Fishing etiquette and spot management can be defined.

As for as this forum goes, posting of dead fishes, gory pictures and discussing the fish as food may be discouraged.

These are my personal opinion but if all of us join hand in drafting some regulations and implement them ourselves, Indian Sport Angling is bound to improve.

Please share your views.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:14 pm 
Fishaholic

amen and again i say amen.. i am compiling some data on the above and will have it posted shortly.

today im a very happy angler. :D [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Post subject: Re: Self Regulation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:36 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:

Defining endangered species and considering them all release category will be an obvious choice.

As for as this forum goes, posting of dead fishes, gory pictures and discussing the fish as food may be discouraged.

but if all of us join hand in drafting some regulations and implement them ourselves, Indian Sport Angling is bound to improve.

Ali.

[smilie=coolup.gif]

Good initiative Ali..

We all have been guilty of some wrong doings in the past, hope with so many good anglers on the Forum we should draft some regulations based on our experiences for betterment of the sport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Good initiative Ali Bhai,

I think first step should be defining the seasons for all the fishes found in INDIAN waters. There is lot of confusion regarding that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali, please move the topic to Forum rules - Important Announcements

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Ok Santosh, moved as you suggested.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:10 pm 
Fishaholic

kanwar76 wrote:
I think first step should be defining the seasons for all the fishes found in INDIAN waters. There is lot of confusion regarding that.

The thumb rule is that one should not target any fishes in the months which does not contain "R", that is May, June, July and August. This spectrum of month covers breeding season for almost all the fishes found in India.

This rule is for the places where fishes are breeding but does not include lakes and ponds where fishes are stocked.

I think government of India also put a ban on commercial fishing during this period.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:14 pm 

hamour wrote:
amen and again i say amen.. i am compiling some data on the above and will have it posted shortly.

today im a very happy angler. :D [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

hi . can i get in touch with u on phone/ mail ? my email is drsandeep@suryaprabha.com. i stay in satara. would like to meet u and other anglers in nearby areas. i need info on skills/tackle/ etc. please help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi drsandeep,
please do not post personal contact details in posts... you can use personal messaging for that...

Hi ali bhai,

awesome initiative... :D :D :D fishing etiquettes, more like Angling etiquettes ! An angler is one who cares for the fish, treats and handles them properly and releases them back (depending on the species rare and endangered)... Seeing pics of people not properly handling fish and posting bloody pictures does make my blood boil ! :x

and thanks again for the thumb rule for the seasons ! I think there are government regulations for not fishing during the breeding season... aren't there ?

So lets spread the word ! and create awareness amongst ourselves ! [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali Bhai, all the oldies and the noobs,

Long time... hope all you guys are doing well...

I recently logged on to IA after a while and saw this post and had to give my 2 cents to the whole exercise... I wish to make it clear beforehand that these comments are not targeted at any one person, but are just food for thought.

A long long time ago, on a forum far far away, I had put up the following post... http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight= and what did it get us... a lot of back biting bullshit which hurt a lot of old timers on the forum... In essence, the exercise was not appreciated... and a lot of learned anglers have moved on... you know who all I speak off...

For a very long time I have been harping my lungs out about our very own IGFA (read INDIAN game fish assocation)... I will come to this later...
Furthermore....

By Default, keeping in mind factors such as population pressure, pollution etc., all WILD fish should be considered endangered. We have absolutely no justification to say that its okay to take this species and not okay to take that species... All species are a part of an ecosystem, be it in a river, lake or pond... how can we justify disrupting a part of the eco system? Its an intricate web which needs to be managed and balanced in a bio dynamic manner. How can you save the tiger and kill the deer?

Absolutely... I agree with you on this and there are no two ways around this... But lets face a few facts out here... many anglers cannot identify the fish they have caught, let alone be pros at sexual dimorphism in species... To add to it, fish handling tech. for a a safe release need to practiced... it no point mis-handling a fish and then releasing it back in the wild, just to let it suffer and die...

All hook ups in fishing are different, and there is absolutely no certain manner in which to tell how deep the hook set is going to be. Some can be safely removed with minimum harm to the fish, while others require surgery. So if one is squeamish about hurting fish, then DONT FISH... if you catch fish, you will hurt them... one way or another.

Please refer to earlier post.... IA Etiquette.

Why? What ever happened to freedom of speech and all that jazz. To add to it let me ask a very basic question: Why does one go fishing? Most anglers on this forum, I'm sure, enjoy a nice curry or tikka once in a while... whats wrong with that? It is your choice as an angler to do as you wish with your catch. By not posting pics or not talking about it is just pretending that all is well. Should all of us stick our heads in the sand... Talk about it... thats how its done... Gandhi beat the colonial empire by talking about it... not by hiding... There are better ways to discourage anglers from killing fish than by removing pictures and chiding people for killing fish... people will still kill fish... they will just do it quietly and we will not know about it.

With reference to an angling association, I would like to inform every one that work is on to setup an association and about 600 odd anglers from across the country have offered their support. I will be happy to share the details with any of you regarding this. Please pm me your email ids if you wish to know more. I will gladly email you the info.

At the end of it, I regret if anyone has been offended by my post in any manner. That was not my intention. I mean well and hope that more of go out there and catch monsters and that our kids too can catch monsters one day... No offence meant to ANYONE on this... just a few points to ponder...

Cheers,

IG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:22 pm 
Fishaholic

here here!! IG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:50 am 
Fishaholic

Very thoughtful of you guys. I am in full support. When do I sign this document :)