->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:51 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:13 pm 

There was a time whenever we hit upon some new, apparently unexplored, fishing spot, we had to wait a full few days to know if there was anything at all to pull out of that goddawful place. Today, we hit a few keys on IA and behold, before you know it, you have at least one expert jumping in with a list full of easy-to-understand dos and don’ts. Now consider the scenic route: changing lures, bait, line, retrieving action, interviewing reluctant, often, hostile locals, et al. However, we never miss a chance to cheat at our game and flash our pearls with the catch of the week. Having typed that out let me affirm shortcuts are a way of life. Ingenuity has been born more of man’s laziness than sweat.
Texting language came top of the pops at a time when we had to punch in an entire keyboard on 12 keys. If not for SMS, we would be unable to call in ill on a lovely day for fishing. If it weren’t for SMS, you would not be able to do tons of things. Like keeping tabs on the missus’s shopping expenses. We should be grateful for this aberration from the Queen’s lingo, rather than condemn it as the language of the uneducated or uncouth.
The youth, far from being uncouth, prefer this short lingua franca for its speed, ease and total disregard for grammar. So do a lot of us grown-ups. It simply does not make sense to invite carpal tunnel syndrome when you can easily punch in: “Rchg in 15.”
I personally find people who dislike texting language as nothing like us anglers: there are old-fashioned, grumpy, pseudo perfectionists and teacher’s darlings. I find they have bequeathed all the bad qualities of their English marms including the poor dress sense. They are snobbish and often times know few things beyond their Wren and Martins or even less. They think they are perfectionists and brandish invisible rods and rap the knuckles of the unfortunate.
I admit, I am a perfectionist too. But, as a communication and marketing consultant, I am required to be an expert on the English language among others. India’s top corporate houses depend on me for my skills. Ditto with tourism departments of many states.
As for the posts on this website I see so many instances of total disregard for the English language, I wonder why we bother telling people to stop using SMS when our own English sucks to kingdom come. For every post I can see in good English, I can also see ten even twenty that are worse than bad Hindi.
These are just my two bits.
Disclaimer: The above argument is just my personal opinion. People are welcome to debate this. Moderators, please note, this is just an argument with references to no one individual in particular. This case does in no way belittle the forum, its members and owners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:09 am 
Fishaholic

i cant agree more !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Case of too many moderators with varying understanding of what goes and what dosent ...... there is no rule book or la process laid out on what you can and what you cannot and that i feel is the reason for each with his own interpretation .........

But i dont fully agree on the SMS argument though....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

The rules are laid out only too clearly. Maybe you interpret it differently?

There is no need to debate this issue. The rule against use of SMS language stays.

Not everyone that fishes has had access to a good education. Go easy on those people who cannot always form proper sentences for lack of a better exposure to the English language.

This forum encourages anyone who likes the sport of fishing to participate and is not meant only for the elite.

IA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:49 pm 

Well, hopefully, someday Indianangler will move to the mobile platform. We will see then.

I still don't understand how we can tolerate bad English yet ostracise a totally practical and time saving solution. I guess I am ahead of my time. LOL.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:14 pm 
Fishaholic

bobtheangler wrote:
Well, hopefully, someday Indianangler will move to the mobile platform. We will see then.

I still don't understand how we can tolerate bad English yet ostracise a totally practical and time saving solution. I guess I am ahead of my time. LOL.

Bob

I use proper English even for sending text messages, but I'm a bit old school.

Cheers, Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:38 pm 

Nice one, Maruthu.