->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:24 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Re: Goodness, Goa!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:51 am 
Fishaholic

Ulygun

No fears, we appreciate your input and get an insight into the world of flyfishing through your articles and comments.

It enriches the forum.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:28 am 
Fishaholic

I have an interesting story about VMC, over 20 years ago, I had bought Yo-Zuri lures in bulk (they had just come up with the iridescent lures and I loved them I wanted about 4 boxes of every type of them) I knew I could catch a whole new range of fish with these lures, so much that my stock has still not run out! A lot of these lures had fresh water hooks on them, at that time most Japanese lures that were floating were for freshwater and came with those bronze coated hooks, the sinking lures were for salt water, these came with VMC Vanadium Trebles. I only fished in salt, so I wrote to VMC in France asking them to sell me a few boxes of varying sizes, I wanted them in the 100's each. VSM France told me that they cannot sell me the hooks and referred me to their agents in the US, so I bought them through the agents. However after a month or so I was pleasantly surprised to get the same hooks in a larger quantity complimentary from VMC France Directly. So you guessed it, I have these trebles to last me a life time and more.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

What a nice gesture from them ..... lucky you!

Can you remember if the action on the Yozuri lures changed after you replaced their freshwater hooks with the VMC trebles ?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 am 
Fishaholic

The gesture was awesome, having said that I have had similar experiences with Penn/Penn International. This is what I miss now a days, that personal touch as gone. I have had great service from European and American tackle manufactures, Zilch from the Asian ones, one of my Shimano Tiagras, has a screw gone bust and I wrote to them several times but got no reply not even a mail pointing me to where I could purchase it.

The lure action did not change, the strike rate was the same and to my eye the lure action was as good. A slight difference in the hook weight does not really alter the action of the lure, especially good quality lures. I noticed with minnow type lures the "twist" have a better strike rate than the ones that "wag". They catch a wider range of fishes too. Also the ones that wag may perform better at night on a slow retrieve, but in daylight the twisters will win hands down. This in my experience, others may have a different view.

Though I have personally never experienced this, but my brother who is a very experienced angler has several times; he has told me that quite a few times when fish have stopped taking plastics, he has used a spoon to great effect he has experienced this several times with redfish and silver trout.