->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:21 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Amazing Goa
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:15 pm 

Hi Guys,
After my last posts about not fishing the dirty, rough water off monsoon in Goa, i would like to update my last weeks events.
With only 3 days left in south Goa before flying to Sri Lanka for a new visa, there had been a couple of calm days with low swell and wind, and the water had surprisingly cleared up. My 8 year old daughter was hounding me to take her fishing and i had seen a nice safe spot down the corner of our beach.
The recent heavy rains had created a small storm water run off from the corner of the beach out to a deep channel along the edge of the rocks. This had created a distinct line between the fresh brown water and the blue sea water which would be perfect for larger ambushing predators. How big, I was about to find out!
The sun was moving towards the horizon and tide was reaching high. After ten minutes of casting soft plastic and letting my daughter, Ruby jig and wind, we had a strike. It was clearly too big for her to handle as she passed the rod to me with the exciting sound of line screeming of the reel. I brought the fish in quickly as there was some nasty unexposed rocks around and one barnacle covered rock which i had to slide the fish over to get it to my feet 3 metres below the rock we were standing on. At this point we all screaamed with excitement as we saw a 60 cm red snapper below us. i held the leader out clear of the rock with my hand and lifted, Snap! Leader was chaffed badly. xxxx!!!! Thats ok dad, lets catch another one.
I cut off the lower half of the damaged leader and tied on my favourate halco max lure. Within ten minutes Ruby had hooked on again, this time a lot bigger fish. After a couple of long runs, and one big leaping headshake, Snap!. A Barramundi well over 1 metre dissappeared into the water with my lure in its mouth. The leader was obviously not 100% but it was all I had with me at the time. I could not explain how i was feeling, but Ruby and my wife were more worried about the poor fish with the lure still in its mouth. Understandable
The following early morning had the same tide and conditions as I proceeded to have more bad luck. I was defeated by 2 more large barramundi.
That evening with my last chance, one more smaller barramundi jumped and spat the hook as i sadly watched the Goan sun set over the ocean for the last time. For Now!
Truely one of the best fish experiences of my life.
I am sitting writing this in Sri Lanka now, as i contemplate what might have been. I have learnt some valuable lessons of fishing for barramundi as i have not yet targetted them in Australia, (i live in the south.)
I will return to India next month but will be travelling the north, so maybe some mahseer or trout fishing will be on the cards.
I am trying to upload photos but am having trouble.
Scully

Post subject: Re: Amazing Goa
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Man, that is heartbreaking!

But you did well to catch such good fish in what most people consider to be the off season for fishing in India ( monsoon season).
I think the Mahseer fishing would be closed in the North but there may be some trout fishing possible, depending on how high the rivers will be if the rains are around.

Check in the forum on how to add pictures to your narratives, I know how difficult it can be.

Where abouts are you in Australia?

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:55 am 
Enlightened

@Skully, it was painful to hear that, I'm sorry that it happened. At least you got more than just strikes and connected with what sounds like a behemoth. Post some pics when you can and best of luck for your future visits to India. Hopefully you catch a trout or two or even a Mahseer.

Cheers.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:38 am 

Thanks guys,
Kingfish I live in Denmark, 5 hours south of perth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Scully,

Long way from my place in Sydney!

Nearest I have fished to you would be Dirk Hartog Island !

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:05 pm 

Wow, lucky you
been to steep point and quobba, one day will get to DH island

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:05 pm 

Wow, lucky you
been to steep point and quobba, one day will get to DH island

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:07 pm 

finally photos

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:10 pm 

photos

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:12 pm 

One that got away

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Scully,

Nice job with the pictures .One can see the leaden, rain filled clouds in the sky .... no doubt the monsoon is here!

What soft plastics did you use for the mangrove jack?

Regards,
Kingfish

P.S. Will you be fishing in Sri Lanka? Understand they have good Barra and mangrove jacks there and possibly GTs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing your fishing report. It's nice to know that the fishing is still good this time of the year when it's raining in most places.

Excellent pictures too. Where in South goa were you staying? That looks like an island in the background.

Cheers
Bopanna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:57 pm 

Canacona area

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:02 pm 

kingfish wrote:
Scully,

Nice job with the pictures .One can see the leaden, rain filled clouds in the sky .... no doubt the monsoon is here!

What soft plastics did you use for the mangrove jack?

Regards,
Kingfish

P.S. Will you be fishing in Sri Lanka? Understand they have good Barra and mangrove jacks there and possibly GTs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the soft plastics info/pictures.Presumably TT jigheads in 5/8 oz.

Sri Lanka any good for fishing?

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:20 pm 

kingfish wrote:
Thanks for the soft plastics info/pictures.Presumably TT jigheads in 5/8 oz.

Sri Lanka any good for fishing?

Regards,
Kingfish

Just done some popping of the beach but nothing as yet.
Have heard good jacks and Barra in a estuary close to Columbo, but not sure I'll make it
You can have some great game fishing this time of year out from Trincomole. Big GTs and tuna.
Scully

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the information, Scully.

Good luck in Sri Lanka and India, hope to hear more from you.

Kingfish