->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:24 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Bhimtaal / Sattaal
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Any idea what the fishery holds in these two lakes? Im assuming they'll be stocked with Carp...any idea about Mahaseer or other species? I'd appreciate any info/help...thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Don't know about sataal but bhimtal has Mahasheer, but since the locals consider them a delicacy, few reach the size to give you a thrill. Poaching via handline is rampant, fisheries don't care once you pay for the Rs.50 license.

Don't waste your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:11 pm 

Bhimtaal has Golden Mahseer, and Local fishermen are experts in using an empty bottle of Sprite and a line to catch thm... Pls also visit Garud taal (3 Kms from there) tht has Carp, Catfish and Mahseer... The best bait are the minnows, that the locals will happily catch for u. U can hire a boat from one of these guys and go fishing into the middle of the Lake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:14 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks guys...i'll be there in any case...so will give it a shot...good to know there's fish in the water to start with....im assuming lures/plugs/spinners/spoons won't work and its best to go with corn-atta etc...is that a fair assumption?

Post subject: Con carne
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:54 pm 
Fishaholic

bobbychyma wrote:
thanks guys...i'll be there in any case...so will give it a shot...good to know there's fish in the water to start with....im assuming lures/plugs/spinners/spoons won't work and its best to go with corn-atta etc...is that a fair assumption?

Yup corn is the most preferred bait.

Regards,

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:07 pm 
Fishaholic

I was at Sattal some time back. They claim to have Mahseer, though I did not see one.

Carp is definetely there and per locals corn or atta is the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:20 pm 
Fishaholic

ok...3 days, 3 lakes : no fish caught...but thats not the whole story.

We Saw schools of mahaseer in Bhimtaal , who were groundbaited by a local boy with Haldiram's Aloo Bhujiya. The boy had an atta hook setup in the middle of the bhujiya floats. the 'seer ate up ALL of the bhujiya. only to ignore the atta. Next we improvised and floated kurkure and cheese balls. Same results...the fish loved it. I then got a boat and trolled with a spinner and a live fish bait ( 2 rods)...same experience: no bites. But there were boils everywhere..probably grass carp.

Bhimtaal has an active fishery program, the department being right next to the lake. Seeding includes Grasscarp, Mirror Carp, Silver carp, Mahaseer.

Saattal is a network of 5 lakes ( 2 dried up).There was plenty of top water action/boils through the evening in main sat-tal lake. There were plenty of insects being taken along the tree-lined shoreline...wind making the insects fall in the lake. There is a "ghat" which the locals groundbait daily and take out carp, mahaseer for dinner. small sizes, but consistent catch.

Garud-tal is more cutoff from the tourist rush, but i didnt see any boils/top water action. It was raining, so maybe that affected the fishing. The guide told me a "firangi" fishing party had camped there for three days, with no bites...but im sure they must've saw some fish to be camped for three days!!

Naukuchiatal was dead...no boils whatsoever.

There were river systems across the tals, in the surrounding valleys. There was talk among the local guides/shikaris about mahaseer in the river systems. They also proudly talked about bleaching the river for the catch...to their dismay they got a sermon that lasted 15 mins, about the ills of wiping out entire fish bloodlines, with the bleaching powder. Don't think I would've made a dent, but what the hell...

Licenses are rs 25/- per rod for shore fishing and rs 50/- per rod for boats. row boats can be hired for about rs 200/- an hour. paddle boats are cheaper, but make hell of a racket!

we reached there in 6.5 hours door to door....that ain't half bad for a weekend fishing trip....now only if i knew how to catch :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:45 am 

One thing that my dad taught me when fishing in the Mahabaleshwar lake for Masheer, is channa.... You float the channa on the surface (like the alu bujia) and then when the fish start to take, drop a line with a small hook in a piece of the channa. Some prep for this is rubbing down your line with Vaseline...... leave abour a meter of line from the hook clean so this can sink(or else it leaves a tell tale line on the surface of the water right up to the hook).. the Vaseline helps the line to float and keeps your bait out. If all of your line sinks then the channa cannot hold its weight and sinks as well. use really light tackle and light line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:34 am 
Fishaholic

thanks man...thats an interesting solution..will try it when next there!