->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:39 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:20 am 
Fishaholic

Certainly this would be my first post in Indian Angler with a very little experience. I am very lazy to put my energy in writing a post but finally though this might help someone to start with his passion towards angling which is perfect blend of science & art as far as I have experienced.

I still remember those days when I was madly looking for someone who can guide & teach me the basics. I joined Indian Angler and started extracting from other’s experience – at the same time requesting other to take me fishing and help me in buying my tackle. I would like to thank everyone who welcomed me and replied to my PM and thank to those who thought of replying but could not managed to get time from their busy life - at the same time I found myself fortunate to have Sayed Bhai’s (Mr. Lion Heart) blessing hand on me. Sayed Bhai spent lots of time to guide me over phone and also explained me the science & affect of logical thinking behind this sport. I simply just don’t have enough word to thank you Sayed Bhai. I hope all our Pro-Angler in this forum help a new comer like Sayed Bhai as we all know that “help is a good thing – probably the best thing”.

Finally, I bought my tackle and started exploring the new world with my buddy Sagar who recently hooked a Barramundi and gave me a chance to feel the pleasure of unhooking my dream fish – Thank you buddy for coming only for me to show the place & teach me casting – I will never forget that moment.

After that I started exploring the places - some time with Sagar and other time alone with no luck which I call Experience -“Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want.” :D Me and my brother did fishing for continuous 14 Hrs just to discover feeding time, Tide effect etc.
I would like share my little experience summary to all new Anglers –

First – JUST START EXPLORING & DON’T WAIT – After studying a lot through internet on ‘what to do & what not to do etc.” I realized there’s no substitute for experience – So I would say “Just start spending your time on fishing instead of waiting”.

Second – NEVER GO CRAZY – Like most hobbies, fishing can get expensive. Learn through internet and from our fellow angler and create your own list of rods, reels, lines, Lures and other equipments before you spend money on these. Like to recommend the stuff from IA store (Please Contact Bopana through IA Forum) as well.

Third – NEVER LOOSE PATIENCE – Fishing requires lots of patience and perseverance. Remember, you might not get any single fish for many days but what you gain is more valuable than your catches. I would like to recall one of my all time favorite quote here – “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, and the lesson afterwards.”

Forth – ENHANCE YOUR KNOWLEDGE – Keep studying time, water, current, birds, tide, flow inlets etc. whenever you find a spot and logically try to link the fishing affect – This will enhance your knowledge I believe.

Note – These are all my own experiences and might differ person to person. So please debate and correct me if you would like to and make this post very useful for any new comers like me.
Please have a look at my few catches –

My 1st catch at Marve –

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Spent 14 Hrs (10PM – 12AM) in Marve dreaming about catching a big Barramundi but got only 5 Cat fishes & one puffer fish –

My Goa Tour Catches - Could not spend much time on fishing as I went with my family for a weekend - but met with an awesome angler (Merwyn Tiger). Sorry Merwyn, I could not spend much time due to family constrain but let’s hope for the best next time.:) – Will visit Goa soon, I guess. (Our catches were 3 Ells) – Could not take the pictures as we were not ready to unhook and cut the line without taking pictures. Picture With Merwyn -

Goa – Nerul river (Beautiful Spot) – Please ID the fish -

Goa Picture -

Madh Catches – Two Cat fishes and two unknown fishes – Sorry could not take pictures - Sagar, can you tell the fishes name please?

Lonavala Pics (Sorry No catches but memories remain) My Brother -

Lonavala Pics - Looks like a good spot to settle down -

Badlapur Adventure - I could not manage to get into Powai as people are very busy at their work, so I decided to explore the fresh water fishing spots closer to Mumbai. Me and my uncle (Came for a week vacation in Mumbai) went to Badlapur (Almost 2.5 Hrs from Kandivali) and found a spot in Ullhas river - Not much luck as usual – but happy discovering the new place – it was truly an adventure. We could have gone to Barvi Dam as suggested by Amod. Don’t worry Amod next time we will go together and explore more – let the water level go down little bit. :D :D . Amod can you please ID my catch below from Ulhas river –

Ok. Enough talking now!!! - Letz go for fishing again – game is on.

Thanks for your time.
Thanks,
Sandip (“Believe in yourself”)

Last edited by sandip_ghosh on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:03 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Sandeep,

A very nice report and some amazing pictures. Looks like you are on the right path to achive angling nirvana.

There is no substitute for spending your time beside water, if you really want to understand the angling lore.

sandip_ghosh wrote:
I could not manage to get into Powai as people are very busy at their work, so I decided to explore the fresh water fishing spots closer to Mumbai.

If by above, your intentions are to provoke us to invite you to Powai, you might have suceeded :lol: :lol: .

Just one thing for you and every one who is not a member of MSAA, invitation to fish in Powai is only a privilage and not a right so no complains please.

Heartiest congratulations on landing some good fishes and spending some quality time with fellow IA members.

On the closing note, you as a new member have received the support and guidence of IA members, so extend the same to others who are taking there first step on the path of angling.

Wish you tight lines in future.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Sandip! nice post nice pics, too bad I still can't find an Id for the fish at nerul. You've found the best people to be with. You've found the best sport to indulge in. I wish you lots of luck and god willing we will be by a water body together soon.

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Hearty Congratulations to you Sandip :D
A very nice first 4 in 1 fishing report { Marve beach, Goa , Lonavla and Badlapur } in just a month you managed to hook 5 different types of fish [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] now what more can any angler want ?? keep it up Sandy

All Good Things Come to Those who Bait n Wait 8) { will be my next signature :wink: }

sandip_ghosh wrote:
My Goa Tour Catches - Could not spend much time on fishing as I went with my family for a weekend - but met with an awesome angler (Marwin – Tiger). Sorry Marwin, I could not spend much time due to family constrain but let’s hope for the best next time.:) – Will visit Goa soon, I guess. (Our catches were 3 Ells) – Could not take the pictures as we were not ready to unhook and cut the line without taking pictures. Picture With Marwin -

psst Sandy its Merwyn Tiger and not Marwin please correct the spelling of his name or [smilie=shake.gif] :twisted: next time in goa you will be chased by a Big Fat Angry Tiger :lol: :lol: :badgrin: {@ merwyn thats a compliment :lol: }

With Sagar Mane targetting the Mother of all the Barras at Marve Beach :P
You are now left with the only option to hook the Father of all Barras :P
May you both succeed :roll:
Best of Luck for the future hookups [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Sandeep wanted to write some thing long and nice but then got pissed off right way seeing some faces :twisted: :twisted: talk to you soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sandip,

Whats the Puffer fish doing on the kitchen platform (atleast looks like it is on kitchen platform)?

Hope you or anyone else didn't eat it.

Sanjay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Whats the Puffer fish doing on the kitchen platform (at least looks like it is on kitchen platform)?

Hope you or anyone else didn't eat it.

I was just thinking the same thing. There are a couple of species that are non toxic but the majority are lethal - and death by tetrodotoxin isn't pretty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:35 am 
Fishaholic

PUFFER FISH ARE VERY TOXIC, IF IT IS IN THE FRIDGE PLEASE GET RID OF IT ALONG WITH ANY FISH YOU MAY HAVE PACKED WITH IT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Anhydrotetrodotoxin 4-epitetrodotoxin, or Tetrodotoxin, as it is more easily referred to, is 10000 times more lethal than cyanide.

reference : puffernet.tripod.com/tetrodotoxin.html

If this is true then I must let you know noone has ever been able to determine the taste of cynide, if its salty or sweet as the person who tried it out, wrote an S and died.....

I'd say don't even touch the fish mate!

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm 
Fishaholic

How did the puffer fish found his way into the kitchen :?:

BTW it is nice reading your post :P

Thanks for sharing

Regards
Arish :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Omesh.Moorjani wrote:
Anhydrotetrodotoxin 4-epitetrodotoxin, or Tetrodotoxin, as it is more easily referred to, is 10000 times more lethal than cyanide.

Regards,

Sandip!!!!! SAndip!!!!!! Sandip!!!! ARE YOU THERE???
HOPE YOU ARE OK??? DID THE PUFFER TOXIN GET YOU??

:) Just kidding mate. Hope you got that piece of advice from the above posts.

Cheers and awesome report,

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:38 pm 
Fishaholic

i have heard that meat of the puffer fish is a delicacy in japan and there are certified chefs who cook them. the liver, ovaries and the skin contain the nerotoxin and there are trace amounts of it in the flesh. many years ago i went sea fishing and hired a boat . we caught small sharks and the boatman caught a puffer fish which he kept for the pot. he was obviously blissfuly ignorant about the poison and on enlightening him about its lethal qualities he said that he and his family have been eating this fish since generations. maybe some fish are not poisonous but its not worth taking a chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:45 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats for the fish caught. Happy fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catch there. The pics are superb too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:13 am 
Fishaholic

Yes its true that puffer fish has a highly poisonous neurotoxin: tetrodotoxin (TTX)
and till date hundreds have died around the world after consuming it
here is the A-to-Z about this bugger called puffer :P
http://a-z-animals.com/animals/puffer-fish/

Interestingly the puffer's killer toxin will someday be used as medicine to save lives
http://www.imagequest3d.com/pages/gener ... /index.htm

Puffer has the ability to inflate its body much more than double its size by inhaling air . This is a protective defense that Puffers have which prevents them from being eaten by other fish. When it expands and inflates itself, a predator finds it difficult to swallow or get its mouth around the fish. When inflated, this Puffer's body has a soft prickly texture
Many people keep them in their fish tanks but Puffers are fin nippers so its not to be kept with other kinds of fish

Puffer fish are regarded as pest fish by the fishermen as they migrate in very large numbers and invade the shoreline for several weeks and being omnivorous they voraciously eat up almost everything thing that comes their way , they even eat up the fish caught in the nets and damage the nets with their strong teeth ,

Once in a year when the water gets a bit warm they invade the murud coasts , most of the fishermen then pull out their nets and stay at home , handliners too have a hard time dehooking it when the hook is a bit deep :p

I think Sandip is a scientist doing some kinda research on puffer fish :wink:
Omesh.Moorjani wrote:
Tetrodotoxin, as it is more easily referred to, is 10000 times more lethal than cyanide.
I'd say don't even touch the fish mate!
Regards,

@ Omesh :P 23 years back, Lion with his friends use to play football with bloated puffer fish on the beach in front of the Mahim Church :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:00 am 
Fishaholic

Thank you everybody for spending your time and putting such good comments.
I got to know lot many things about the Puffer fish - very good informative discussions. BTW I did not cook the Puffer fish (I actually wanted to show this beautiful fish to my family) :D :-) - Every time I catch a fish I call Sayed Bhai after coming back home and that time also he told the same thing about Puffer fish and I put that in dustbin. Next time onwards I will just release them – Thank you all for your advice.

Mr. Ali, Thank you for your nice comments and I completely agree with your closing notes that we all should step out and help any new comer.
Just to clarify regarding Powai stuff, My humble intention was to simply post my experiences and not to provoke anyone. As per my realization based on facts that Rajatda were super busy during those time and could not materialize our plan and that's why I mentioned "People were busy" in my post - It was always my request and never shown any other attitude of right. At the same time I understand your concern too – It should not be right for everyone. In fact I am glad that "Not getting response quickly" helped me to explore many other places - This gave me courage to do lot more adventure in future and I am thankful to Admod (AMD) for that.

Sayed Bhai,
Your response truly inspires me a lot. From Day 1 your hand holding guidance is very rare in this realistic world and I just don’t know how to thank you - I can only say that you are a FISHING GURU. Your words and ignoring challenges attitude sets yourself as a living example to all anglers. Waiting for the day when I will get a chance to go for fishing with you. BTW, I have corrected Merwyn’s name… :D Hope Tiger will control his anger now. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Glad to see you're still with us Sandip.

Post subject: Puffer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats Sandy,

Looks like the Angling bug has bitten you well. We used to regularly hook Puffers on the Anjarle Bridge . Prawn on a small hook with weight, floated down would get you a bite from one. All were released based on their fearsome reputation. Very pretty fish with lots of spines on its body.
Regards
Cavalier.

Post subject: Puffer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats Sandy,

Looks like the Angling bug has bitten you well. We used to regularly hook Puffers on the Anjarle Bridge . Prawn on a small hook with weight, floated down would get you a bite from one. All were released based on their fearsome reputation. Very pretty fish with lots of spines on its body.
Regards
Cavalier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:20 pm 
Fishaholic

lionheart wrote:
@ Omesh :P 23 years back, Lion with his friends use to play football with bloated puffer fish on the beach in front of the Mahim Church :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

hahaha I can imagine! would've been a fun thing to watch in reality a bloated puffer fish being kicked around!

Regards,

Post subject: Very Bad
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:16 pm 

Seems like Mr Sandeep takes all the help and fishing locations he requires and forgets about the people who actually helped him.
Now he prefers to go fishing with his brother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Steve,

How can I forget you man? You are one whom I learnt the easiest way to tie hook and you were with me when I caught my first catch in Marve. My brother stays in Hyderabad - So in Mumbai only Sagar and you are my companion so far. I am sorry I missed your name - Hope you will forgive me. FYI - Now I have taken couple of days off from fishing as I need to complete couple of my personal work before I go for a vacation for our greatest festival (Durgapuja). I will call you soon.

Thanks,
Sandip