->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:46 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:54 am 

Not a report more a request for information.

Will be heading to Sikkim and the north eastern states end of March for 3 months and will pack the fly gear if there are options out there. I don't have a set plan other than flying into Kolkata (I reside in Thailand).

I have searched the web and struggling to find details of anyone that caters purely for angling. Does anyone come from these parts or has fly fished for trout in this region that can point me in the general direction of a local contact?

I realise it's a huge area I am referring to but with 3 months if there are options to fish for trout in pristine areas we will be there. Will not be packing spinning or mahseer gear just a couple of fly rods as being complete novices with just one trip to Pahalgam under our belts we are keen to continue. I have plenty of time before heading out so any sort of lead welcome. Will be travelling with the missus who also enjoyed our rudimentary version of fly fishing.

Thanks lads

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:57 pm 

I've managed to locate what looks like an interesting lead for Sikkim and have been concentrating on Arunachal Pradesh which just may be my next best bet but havn't managed to come up with anything. Can anyone help out for a contact specifically in Arunachal?

All leads welcomed.

Thanks lads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:33 am 
Fishaholic

In Arunachal, you might get some trout in the upper reaches of Subhansiri, Siang and its tributaries. The best one are the big mahseers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:41 pm 

Much appreciated Apoo. I will certainly look into these.

Tempted to pack the mahseer gear as a Sikkim contact advises targeting these also but this trip I'll stay with trout as want to travel light but certainly will look into a return trip to tackle the mighty mahseer.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:06 am 
Fishaholic

Even in Sikkim, the best places to fish are mahseer waters. The confluence of Rangit and Teesta is the best place to fish for mahseers. You might find trouts in small streams and tributaries of the Teesta.

In Assam and Arunachal you may not find the brown and the rainbow ones but the indian trouts only.

All the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:11 pm 

Hi Apoo, are you talkng fly fishing for mahseer in these waters or lures?

I have to buy a second rod as I was stupied enough to sell my 4wt to the manager of a hotel in Sonamarg and see that I can get an 8wt travel fly rod for same price as a 4 so I will consider buying the 8 and have the option of targeting both species as I still have a 6wt.

Thanks very much for the information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:50 pm 
Fishaholic

I was referring to lures. In Teesta (Sikkim) we can hardly cast out our lures as the local bait fishermen puts 5-6 lines per person in the water. Assam, one of our member Salmo did try to fly fish but was unsuccessful. But that was for a day only and you cannot judge it in a single day of fishing. Though he hooked a golden mahseer on lure. Arunachal will be the same too.