[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Jetty Fishing Tales - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:21 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
 Post subject: Jetty Fishing Tales
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:00 am 
Fishaholic

After several failed attempts to catch anything at these formidable jetties using the fly gear, not to mention the shoulder to shoulder combat fishing style preventing one from swinging line, I finally bit the bullet and ended up with some saltwater spinning gear. This was back in mid-2018, since then it has been a bumpy road to recovery to say the least.

Life has changed in more than one ways, with more travel domestic and internationally, and if that wasn't enough, the introduction of the first and brand new mini-me! yay... Life has more meaning now. With the spirituality of it all on the side, I wasn't getting enough time on the water like in the past where I could just get up and leave at a moments notice. Being on/by/in the water, be it freshwater for trout/bass or saltwater for anything that bites, it was my way of being one with the nature, and lately I wasn't getting enough of it.

Of course, none of the above stopped me from hoarding presumptive tackle for the eventuality. I knew somewhere, somehow, I'd get back on the water to do what I love, hopefully sooner than later. This later happened earlier in the spring of 2019, I finally got to go fishing, undisturbed for a full 8 hours and I enjoyed every living minute of it!

It was a magical day at the jetties that day, not because I happened to be on the water after a long time, but because of several events that happened right in front of my eyes. I've fished this exact spot numerous times, but never ever have I encountered such conditions. Water had cleared up after week long rain, it was new moon and boy were the big boys hungry!

Huge school of hungry Jacks chasing mullet, glass minnows on the top of water column. The Spanish Mackerel jumping out of water several feet high chasing glass minnows, the sight was just surreal. I'm going to now invest in some good action cam setup!

I was so excited to try out the new 9' Okuma Nomad mated to a 5000 Daiwa BG and the new 7' Ugly Stik with a 3000 Daiwa BG. Popped the cherry on both setups and I lost count of how many Mackerels I caught that day, safe to say that I limited out and took the 21in and bigger home. After a slip and fall breaking the handle off the 5000 BG while I was landing a Jack, I had to swap out to the 3000 BG on the 9' rod. I caught several Jacks that day on the smaller setup, lost most of them to bent hooks, all of them almost the same size. The big one in the picture however was caught using the 5000 BG, it took forever to land the Jacks on the smaller reel on full drag.

Without further ado, here's the results.... Mackerel on 3/4oz silver spoon and the Jack Crevalle on 3oz Baitfish pattern Halco Popper

I'm impressed with the BG, great reels for the money about $75 for the 3000 and $95 for the 5000 on sale.... I've been fishing with both of them every chance I get, other than their limited sealing capability, they are very well made reels. I would however choose different class of reels going forward on the backup 9' surf rod and the 7' inshore rod. Already looking at investing in a good sealed offshore reel for jigging and lures, I'm leaning towards a Penn Slammer III after comparing several others in the market. May be a Saltist for the inshore rod , I'm just leery of servicing the Mag-sealed reel. I'll be waiting for some good deals to prep for an overnight offshore trip later in August, let's see.

Until then, tight lines and screaming reels fellas...

Cheers....

Post subject: Re: Jetty Fishing Tales
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:46 am 
Fishaholic

Great report and pictures, Ulygun! One could almost feel the sizzling action.

By the way, we call those as "Spotted Mackerel" in Australia( as distinguished from the barred, Spanish
Mackerel). I have caught these spotties from a boat and they really are full of beans ... great action on lighter outfits.

Good luck with your choice of sealed reels. I agree that Mag sealed reels are difficult to service, I refuse to buy new Daiwa reels for that very reason.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:41 am 
Fishaholic

Here is a Spanish Mackerel caught some time ago by me. You can see the bars going down the side (no spots) .... it grows much larger and is very good on the table.

If I am not wrong, it is called " Surmai" in Kerala and further South in India.

Kingfish

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:35 am 
Fishaholic

Nice Report Ugyan, as Kingfish pointed you caught a spotted mackerel, you get two types Indo Pacific and Caribbean-Atlantic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:23 am 
Fishaholic

@Kingfish, thank you and yes sir, they sure are fun on light tackle. Toothy bastards will slice through 50# mono like it's butter. I've noticed one thing though, is easier to catch them if you're just hauling the spoon through the top water.

Pretty sure these are called Spanish Mackerel, so much so that they're fondly called Smacks or a Poorman's Kingfish by the locals. There might be a slight physiological differences between the Spotted versions, not entirely certain.

@Bobby, Thanks and just like Kingfish, you're probably referring to "Scomberomorus brasiliensis

The best quick research and references I could find. But yes, there are possibilities that one can find similarities between the two. Nevertheless, I enjoyed catching each and everyone of these guys. One of the 24 incher was especially memorable on the light tackle!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:40 am 
Fishaholic

Glad you had great action, Ulygun! Always wanted to catch those Jack Crevalles, but never had the chance....
I thought that Mackerel looked like a siarra Mackerel, but then again I do not know anything about Mackerels.

Cheers!
Maruthu

PS: I would get into trouble at the house if I wore a nice clean white shirt on a fishing trip. lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:49 am 
Fishaholic

Just to confuse everyone more, I believe that the Spanish Mackerel we have around Australia/ Indian Ocean is called Kingfish in India and the Orient?

Whereas in Australia the kingfish is an entirely different species closer to Amberjacks!

Better end now before we all get totally lost in nomenclature.

Kingfish
(Of the Australian species)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:22 pm 
Fishaholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:35 am 
Fishaholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:44 am 
Fishaholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice report and good to see you catching fishes. The GT looks very different.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:47 pm 
Fishaholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Ulygun,
Great report mate, the fish gods have blessed you. You were at the right place at the right time!!
I hope you were alright with the slip and fall. It could be dangerous on jetties and one main reason I don't like to fish rocks much.
If you are fishing the rocks more, you should get a pair of korkers or some footwear with better traction.
Learnt from my mistake- have a game plan on where you would land the fish before making the cast. It's no fun trying to figure where to land a big one, while fighting the fish.

I would love to catch those Jack Crevalle sometime. When is your next trip. I hope this is not very far from where you live to make this trips more often.

Cheers
Binu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:03 pm 
Fishaholic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:22 am 
Fishaholic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:30 am 
Fishaholic

@Binu, I'm okay. Other than a bruised ego I'm doing great. A kid came in to help me out and I have him a spoon which I caught several Mackerel with.
Yes, I need to invest in a shoe with a metal cleats. I have a Korker which I use for wading river for trout on fly, with a felt sole at the moment. The sole can be easily changed with a metal studs, but finding the right sized ones is turning out to be a nightmare.
But generally yes, when you come to the jetties, make sure you're prepared. I'll post a pic of my jetty setup someday.

Cheers....

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable