->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:49 pm

All times are UTC+05:30




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Some famous Bass lures
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:13 am 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Sydney, Australia
As some of our fellow anglers in India may not be familiar with bass fishing, which is a huge sport in North America and also has die-hard fanatics in other countries,such as Australia, I am taking the liberty of printing below pictures of some bass lures which have universal appeal and ,more importantly,
catch bass!

Although we do not have bass in India, I think these lures would have success if used in our fresh waters for fish such as murrell and others .... I would be pleased to hear if anyone has used any of these lures in India and what they have caught with them.

Kingfish


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:02 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:39 pm
Posts: 755
Location: UAE
Caught murrels& mulleys on spinner baits. And my son got a hit from masheer on a jitter bug. The spinner bait is probably on all our ( indians ) taklebox.



Jeen


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:55 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Sydney, Australia
Hello Jeen,

Thank you for your reply. It was an eye opener for me to learn that spinnerbaits have been used commonly in India and to good effect.

I had not previously come across any articles in this forum which mentioned this lure and the Jitterbugs.

Kind regards,
Kingfish


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:30 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Bangalore, India
Kingfish,

I didn't fish much for large mouth bass when I was in the Pennsylvania. However, I fished for them in a couple of spots that were more relaxing and the fishing had to do with other things... Spring time, all that snow melted away, grass is greener and the days are getting longer, and everything is looking more colourful....

I mostly targeted small mouth bass (when it came to freshwater) during the late spring though early summer days with lures like the rebel crawfish and mostly soft plastic jigs. I still have those lures here in Bangalore but I haven't been fishing freshwater here. I am starting to have a craving for freshwater fishing these days and will be doing some fishing in Cauvery.

Thanks for the post!
BTW, I never fished a buzzbait though. Don't have one either....
Let me see if some of my old lures can catch some fish here in the tropical.

Maruthu


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:53 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Sydney, Australia
Hello Maruthu,

Time you had a go at the freshwater scene in India !

Apart from your old lures, what bait casting outfit will you use ? I know you are not a spinning outfit user!

Kingfish


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:04 am 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Bangalore, India
I'll get to do some freshwater fishing soon Kingfish!

Now that you asked, I'll mention all the baitcasting setup I have :-)

Currently the lightest I have is an Abu Morrum SX3600C reel paired with a 6'6" Shimano teramar inshore rod (TMC-66M). I bought a Shimano Chronarch 50E reel for the TMC-66M rod, but it is still sitting at my sister's place in the US. Then I have a 7' St. Croix Avid Inshore rod (AIC70MHF) paired with a Shimano Calcutta 200GTB reel (I recently bought this rod and haven't put it to much use.... yet :wink: ). I have also recently bought an Abu UC4600C (Ultracast model) and an Abu 5600C5 Magtrax reel that are also still lying in my sister's place.

Then comes my most favourite bait casting setup for inshore fishing from the rocks in the west coast. A 7' G.Loomis Pro Blue rod (PBR843C) paired with a Shimano Calcutta 300E reel loaded with 50# power pro braid. I use this a lot and have caught plenty of MJs and some Rawas on it. It is a lot of fun to use and can cast a variety of lures with pretty good accuracy. You can also get your lures out there if you want. Also this set up has the power to land some decent fish. Though I've lost plenty of groupers with this setup as there were plenty of submerged rocks between me and the fish in the place I fish and the fish always managed to cut my line across the rocks. I'm working on the groupers though :wink: However, I never had a problem with MJs and Rawas though.

For the surf, I use a 9' and a 10' Lamiglas Surf and Jetty rod (XS9MHC, XS10MHC).
I pair the 9' rod with Abu 6500 reels (listed below) and the 10' rod with Abu 7000/7500 reels (listed below):

Abu 6500 CS Rocket
Abu 6500 CS Pro Rocket
Abu 6500 C3 CT Mag Elite
Abu 6500 C3 CT Premium Mag Elite (Orange)
Abu 6500 Blue Yonder
Abu 6500 C3 CT Chrome Rocket

Abu BG7000
Abu 7000 C3 (Silver)
Abu 7500 CT Big Game
Abu 7500 C3 CT

I also have three Penn reels (Listed below) that I pair with my surf rod for fishing from the jetty rocks.

Penn Squidder 140L
Penn Jigmaster 500L
Penn Jigmaster 505HS

Cheers!
Maruthu


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:25 am 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Sydney, Australia
Maruthu,

You are the man! I,and am sure a lot of other anglers, can now show your list of rods and reels to our better halves and be pardoned for our collections!

That is one heck of an impressive arsenal ..... dare we ask about your lures?

Regards and good luck with your freshwater fishing trips.

Kingfish


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:40 am 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Bangalore, India
Kingfish,

There are members on here that have a collection of high end spinning reels.
Abu's were "relatively" cheap compared to some Daiwa/Shimano spinning reels.

Maruthu


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:33 am 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:20 pm
Posts: 523
Location: Bangalore, Kanyakumari
lure_fisherman wrote:
Kingfish,

There are members on here that have a collection of high end spinning reels.
Abu's were "relatively" cheap compared to some Daiwa/Shimano spinning reels.

Maruthu


Whenever I go to Maruthu's place, I have a feeling that I am entering inside a tackle shop. :P


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:00 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 340
Location: Philadelphia, USA
lure_fisherman wrote:
I'll get to do some freshwater fishing soon Kingfish!

Now that you asked, I'll mention all the baitcasting setup I have :-)

Currently the lightest I have is an Abu Morrum SX3600C reel paired with a 6'6" Shimano teramar inshore rod (TMC-66M). I bought a Shimano Chronarch 50E reel for the TMC-66M rod, but it is still sitting at my sister's place in the US. Then I have a 7' St. Croix Avid Inshore rod (AIC70MHF) paired with a Shimano Calcutta 200GTB reel (I recently bought this rod and haven't put it to much use.... yet :wink: ). I have also recently bought an Abu UC4600C (Ultracast model) and an Abu 5600C5 Magtrax reel that are also still lying in my sister's place.

Then comes my most favourite bait casting setup for inshore fishing from the rocks in the west coast. A 7' G.Loomis Pro Blue rod (PBR843C) paired with a Shimano Calcutta 300E reel loaded with 50# power pro braid. I use this a lot and have caught plenty of MJs and some Rawas on it. It is a lot of fun to use and can cast a variety of lures with pretty good accuracy. You can also get your lures out there if you want. Also this set up has the power to land some decent fish. Though I've lost plenty of groupers with this setup as there were plenty of submerged rocks between me and the fish in the place I fish and the fish always managed to cut my line across the rocks. I'm working on the groupers though :wink: However, I never had a problem with MJs and Rawas though.

For the surf, I use a 9' and a 10' Lamiglas Surf and Jetty rod (XS9MHC, XS10MHC).
I pair the 9' rod with Abu 6500 reels (listed below) and the 10' rod with Abu 7000/7500 reels (listed below):

Abu 6500 CS Rocket
Abu 6500 CS Pro Rocket
Abu 6500 C3 CT Mag Elite
Abu 6500 C3 CT Premium Mag Elite (Orange)
Abu 6500 Blue Yonder
Abu 6500 C3 CT Chrome Rocket

Abu BG7000
Abu 7000 C3 (Silver)
Abu 7500 CT Big Game
Abu 7500 C3 CT

I also have three Penn reels (Listed below) that I pair with my surf rod for fishing from the jetty rocks.

Penn Squidder 140L
Penn Jigmaster 500L
Penn Jigmaster 505HS

Cheers!
Maruthu


Maruthu thats one hell of a collection !!


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:04 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 340
Location: Philadelphia, USA
My favourite lure for Smallmouth bass was a Rebel Teeny wee crawfish.
For Largemouth in lakes when fishing over lily pads , I love using Scum frogs. In those waters they are very similar to fishing for murrel.
In open waters I had good luck with some jointed Rapala ..
Let me see if I can get some of those pictures.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:06 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Sydney, Australia
Hello binu,

It would be nice if you could post those pictures.

I have used the Rebel Crawdad for trout but never used the Scum frogs, the latter are used in Australia for catching a fish called Saratoga and also for large ,stocked impoundment barramundi.

Weed choked waters are fishable if one has either weedless spoons or weedless rigged soft plastics.

I attach below pictures of two weedless spoons I have used to catch bass and pike in Canada. These may be of interest to our anglers who fish ponds and other weed filled waters.

Kingfish


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:06 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Bangalore, India
binu wrote:
Maruthu thats one hell of a collection !!


Thanks Binu!

BTW, I know a guy that has 3 Van Staals and 2 Zeebaas reels :P

Maruthu


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:32 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 340
Location: Philadelphia, USA
Kingfish, I have not used a weedless spoon. But those looks nice, and should work for murrel.

This is the only pic I have of a bass on scum frog. I had caught a couple of bigger ones with scum frogs in the same place.

Attachment:
scumFrogNew.jpg


These ones were caught with a jointed Rapala. I had one of the best bass fishing that evening. It was during Fall season, and I was fishing in one of the Freshwater tidal waters in Philadelphia. It was dropping tide, and I caught some good fish that evening.

Attachment:
photo 1.JPG


Attachment:
photo 2.JPG


Attachment:
photo 3.JPG


Attachment:
photo 4.JPG


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:11 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Bangalore, India
Nice Binu!

Wish I have a change to fish for LMB/SMB again.

Maruthu


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:37 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Sydney, Australia
Binu,

Some really nice pictures there .... never thought of using the jointed Rapala in fire tiger colour for bass.

I plan to visit Canada next year for some brook trout fishing and may get some bass on the side. The jointed Rapala will work for both species.

Regards,
Kingfish


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:20 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 340
Location: Philadelphia, USA
Kingfish
I hope you have another great trip in Canada.
Another minnow type lure that I would recommend is a yo zuri pin minnow 2" for trout and 2-3/4" for bass.
I have caught a few good brown trout on the 2" pin minnows. And with lighter lures, tie direct to the split ring on the lure. Using snaps/ clips changes the action on these tiny lures.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:21 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 340
Location: Philadelphia, USA
lure_fisherman wrote:
Nice Binu!

Wish I have a change to fish for LMB/SMB again.

Maruthu


Can't beat those early morning trips in Fall to IBSP for Striped bass either..


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:22 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Sydney, Australia
Thanks Binu,

I do have the 2" Pins Minnow .... must try it on the local trout in the hill lakes near Sydney someday.

As an aside, is the fishing better in Chennai or the coast of Kerala ? Planning to visit this winter.

Kingfish


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:08 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Bangalore, India
kingfish wrote:
Thanks Binu,

I do have the 2" Pins Minnow .... must try it on the local trout in the hill lakes near Sydney someday.

As an aside, is the fishing better in Chennai or the coast of Kerala ? Planning to visit this winter.

Kingfish


Kingfish,

If you are already in Kerala and have some time in your hands, I suggest that you head further south to Tamil Nadu and slam some nice fish with your feet firmly on LAND. I heard that Tutucorin and Rameshwaram area has some decent fishing to offer too....

Maruthu


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:08 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Sydney, Australia
Hello Maruthu,

Time is too short on this trip, unfortunately, and I would rather concentrate on one area in Kerala this time and get to know the ropes.

This would help for the next time, hopefully for a trip to Chennai and the areas mentioned by you.

Any tips you may give on equipment and lures for beach and inland water fishing in Kerala ?

Kind regards,
Kingfish


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:09 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Bangalore, India
kingfish wrote:
Hello Maruthu,

Time is too short on this trip, unfortunately, and I would rather concentrate on one area in Kerala this time and get to know the ropes.

This would help for the next time, hopefully for a trip to Chennai and the areas mentioned by you.

Any tips you may give on equipment and lures for beach and inland water fishing in Kerala ?

Kind regards,
Kingfish


Kingfish,

I haven't fished Kerala. However, if I were in your situation I'd fish any accessible river mouth with a 9' surf rod throwing lures like Rapala X Rap 14 and such for Rawas. If you have a light inshore rod, try jigging those 3" squidgies lures on the bottom. That's something I'd try for the most part.

Maruthu


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:40 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Sydney, Australia
Maruthu,

Your recommendations mesh with my decisions ... got a 9ft travel rod mated to a Stradic 8000 FI for the land based fishing from shore and a 7ft with Symmetre 4000 FJ for estuary spinning.

Lures already being selected and culled.

See pics below.

Kingfish


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:10 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Bangalore, India
Nice!

I'd recommend that you carry another Roosta popper in white/red head.

Your 7' set up should be good to go for the most part, unless you are after GTs and Groupers.
See if you can use a good leader (40# Fluoro) with FG knot if you are fishing close to the rocks.

Maruthu


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:52 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Sydney, Australia
Ok.... fluoro leaders are already installed as a matter of routine in requisite strength.

So if one were to cast lures or metals from beaches in Kerala or similar beaches elsewhere in India, what sort of fish would one be targeting .... MJs, Barra, thread fin salmon (rawas), apart from a chance at grouper and GTs ?

Presumably, similar fish would be in the estuaries and river mouths?

If headed inland to Lake Periyar, would one have a chance for freshwater fishing? If so, for what species?
It would help if I could have some feedback on this from members.

Regards,
Kingfish


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:27 am 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 340
Location: Philadelphia, USA
Kingfish, your lure selection looks good, but as Maruthu mentioned carry a couple of more poppers.
And a few metal lures like halco twisty .
Fishing in Chennai is a hit or miss. Some of the popular spots are over fished these days.
So Kerala should be better, at least in my opinion they will be not as overfished.

Regards,
Binu


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:40 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:20 pm
Posts: 523
Location: Bangalore, Kanyakumari
binu wrote:
Fishing in Chennai is a hit or miss. Some of the popular spots are over fished these days.
So Kerala should be better, at least in my opinion they will be not as overfished.
Regards,
Binu


I have seen video of fishing in Kerala, and the situation is much worse compared to Chennai, too many anglers in a spot.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:36 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Sydney, Australia
Hello Binu,

Yes, I will take some more poppers and I don't travel anywhere without my Halco Twisty lures !

Hello Venkat,

I understand what you are saying. I will be fishing the Leela Kovalam beaches in the early morning,hopefully before the fishermen and anglers come out ..... I don't mind being on the water at 5am if need be.

In any case, this is a fun trip for sightseeing with my wife and we will fish whenever and wherever the mood strikes us.
As the Aussies say "No worries", if we do not do as well as others.

Kind regards,
Kingfish


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:42 am 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Bangalore, India
Kingfish,

I am planning to fishing a couple of spots that I've marked for some time now near Kovalam.
I've actually been to one, and heard it's a very good spot for Barracuda and GTs.
There is anther one that I've never heard any reports from, but believe should be very good as well.

I am planning to fish that area around Christmas. What time of year are you planning to be there?
With all the fishing pressure in that area I don't want to mention the exact location on the Internet.

Maruthu


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:05 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Sydney, Australia
Hello Maruthu,

I will be in Kovalam in the second week of Dec. before heading inland.Perhaps you may contact me by pm ?

Regards,
Kingfish


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:35 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 1044
Location: Bangalore, India
kingfish wrote:
Hello Maruthu,

I will be in Kovalam in the second week of Dec. before heading inland.Perhaps you may contact me by pm ?

Regards,
Kingfish


I shall PM you the location Kingfish. There are two nice fishing spots that you can fish.
It might be a bit tough fishing in these areas unlike a relaxed vacation fishing location.

Maruthu


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:31 pm
Posts: 36
Hi Friends,

There is good spot at Perumathura near kazhakkoottam which is a rivermouth. Getting GT's and Barracudas and small Groupers.

And also try at Vizhinjam which also a good spot.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:34 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Sydney, Australia
@rimpochey

Thank you, you are a gentleman and a good sport.

Kingfish


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:09 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Sydney, Australia
@ rimpochey

Can you please advise if motor boats can be hired at the locations you mentioned. .. would like to try some trolling if possible.

Thank you,
Kingfish


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:31 pm
Posts: 36
@Kingfish

Thank you..

I will let you know in a week regarding boat. And Kollam Thangassery also a good spot, less anglers in that area.

R!mpo


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:43 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:39 pm
Posts: 755
Location: UAE
Hi King Fish,

Touch base with me closer to your date of travel.


Jeen


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:05 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1169
Location: Sydney, Australia
Hello Jeen,

Thank you, will pm you nearer departure ..... most appreciated.

Kind regards,
Kingfish


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 

All times are UTC+05:30


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited