->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:12 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: "Kingfish" in India
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:47 pm 
Fishaholic

I reached India from Sydney a bit earlier than planned due to sorrowful circumstances...... let us leave it at that.

However, the trip to Kerala is still on in a couple of weeks.

The gear I had put together, with a lot of help on lure selection from forum members, reached relatively safely. I say relatively because my travel rods had an unplanned detour with Singapore Airlines but reached my home safe and sound a day later ...... good airline to deal with.

Will keep in touch.

Kingfish

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: "Kingfish" in India
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Good luck with the trip Kingfish!

Hope to see many big ones from you! Hope all is well now....

Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Maruthu.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:38 am 
Fishaholic

Chandigarh

For those of you who do not know about this city, it was planned by the famous architect Le Courbusier in the 1950s as a symbol of new India, with the blessings of Jawaharlal Nehru.

It lies at the foothills of the Shivalik Mountains and is half an hour away from my ancestral village. We built our house in Chandigarh in 1970 and it has since served as a focal point for all family members to meet and stay together on their visits to India.

For me, it was ideally situated for my previous passion for shikar until I shifted my attention to angling.

Although Chandigarh has a large lake fed by mountain streams during the rainy season, I have never fished it. It seemingly holds a variety of fresh water species but I have to check on this further. However, we are only a few hours away from Bhakra where forum members have caught Mahseer over the years, as well as the Sutlej River where I recall catching a beautiful silver scaled fish(carp ?) back in the 1980s
on a silver Toby lure.

Further Mahseer fishing is available at the Ropar head works, where distant relatives caught them on flies.We are also not too far away from Paonta Sahib and Pong Dam for Mahseer fishing and the steams near Shimla have trout in season.

These places need further exploration and perhaps I may be able to write some reports in the near future.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Good luck with your trip.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Venkat.

Will be in touch when I head south.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Chandigarh...

I had some spare time this morning, so I decided to check out the Lake and see if there was anything to interest the angling fraternity.

We are now getting into the winter season in North India and a light mist was lingering on the water. It was perhaps a bit chilly for the anglers who used to be sitting on the steps with a line in the water, so I did not see anyone I could have a chat with to see what was biting.

The policemen on duty told me that there was a Fisheries Dept. office at the far end of the lake, where licences are issued for angling and I may be able to find out the type of fish in the lake. I hope to visit them in the next couple of days.

Being winter in Russia, huge flocks of migratory birds reach this lake and spend the cold season here until the weather warms up ... we get mallards, pintail, teal and greylag geese besides other birds. It used to be very enjoyable watching them feed and groom themselves, just out of reach of shore based predators.

The mini forest surrounding the lake was home to wildlife such as sambhar deer, wild pigs and undoubtedly the odd leopard. I am sure some of them have still survived despite the growth of the city.

Kingfish

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by kingfish on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:24 am 
Fishaholic

Chandigarh contd.....

So, I am sitting here twiddling my thumbs.

I have no driver for the next few days and do not wish to drive by myself, thus I am unable to go to the Lake or visit the Fisheries Dept. to obtain information.

The pictures that we took on our iPhone cannot, for some weird reason, be emailed in India to my iPad so that I could incorporate them into this report.

I guess I will have to tackle each issue as it crops up and sort it out.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Chandigarh contd...

We are still in Chandigarh for the next few days, meeting family and friends and the going to the usual parties or social events ..... I am itching to get going and start fishing!

The weather here has turned dull, with the winter morning fog now rolling in and bringing cool temperatures with it . It is time to bring out the sweaters, shawls and other woollens. Undoubtedly, the fishing will have slowed down because of the cold.

Hot soups, wood fired pizzas and solid whisky drinks are the order of the day or evening.

I must say that I am looking forward to the warm weather in Kerala, although the long range forecast for Trivandrum calls for daily rain and thundershowers. I am not worried, we anglers take such things in our stride.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Keep the report flowing Kingfish!

Hoping to see some shore/blue water pics soon....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Kingfish,
Hopping soon you will post "the bingo". As I am angling in fresh water only can suggest in winter for fresh water fishes target the surface during the hottest part of the day and the bottom at evening and onward.
With regards,
Arefin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:59 pm 
Fishaholic

@ Arefin

Thank you, that is sound advice .... I may fish the Sutlej head works later in the season for Mahseer and other species.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Chandigarh contd......

I was rummaging through my drawers and chanced upon one of my first tackle boxes, dating back some 35 years, and spent some nostalgic moments looking at the contents.

Here is a peek at them.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Guys, are the pictures still upside down?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Chandigarh contd....

" Punjabi winter food"

As soon as the winter sets in, we Punjabis start preparing our winter dishes.
Do keep in mind our plains can reach a night time temperature of -3 degrees Celsius and with the wind chill it can hit -6 Celsius. The wind and fog and the rain also do not help.

The most famous dish is our " Saag and Makki Di roti", basically spinach and cornbread but each family has its own cherished recipe handed down from generations. It is always accompanied by butter or ghee to enrich its taste and calorific value.

Our winter dessert is "Pinnis", which are ladoos made from milk cake (khoya), flour, butter, almonds and sugar. Delicious but very fattening! The Sikh troops used to carry these as hard rations when they fought in Kashmir in 1947 and against the Chinese in the 1962 war.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Kingfish, that is a good collection of lures. Looking at them would have brought old memories. Interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:26 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Venkat,

Can you please advise if the photos are upside down? Will be in touch once I reach Kerala.

Take care,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:46 am 
Fishaholic

From the photos it is very difficult to identity your intended orientation. In the reel lube photo, the wording on the tube is upside down. Is it how it looks in your screen.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:25 am 
Fishaholic

Venkat,

It seems I still have the old problem as the tube is correctly oriented in my photo. Mind you, I have taken the photos in such a manner that it does not matter whether they are the wrong side up.

I guess the best way to know is whether the picture of my house has the trees upside down!?

Also, would you know why our iPhone cannot send emails in India although it receives them?

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:20 am 
Fishaholic

Kingfish,

Your trees seem to be growing in the right direction :-)
So, are the pics of tackle boxes and the bucktails look fine....

However, I think the rest of the pics came upside down, though it doesn't matter much in this case :-)

Maruthu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Maruthu,

Thanks for the input, so most of the photos are ok.

By the way, have you tried the bucktails/jigs in India? If so, did you catch anything on them? These seem to be an under-utilised lure overseas, whereas the Yanks use them for stripers all the time.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Chandigarh contd....

There is an abundance of bird life around the house, as the trees have grown large over the years and provide food and shelter for them.

From my balcony, I see striped squirrels chasing each other, while the Seven Sisters (thrushes) hop madly one after the other in the garden.I am visited regularly by the Indian long tailed bee-eater, which checks out the verandah ceiling fixtures for wasps. We are also very lucky to see a red crested woodpecker regularly visiting our garden for grubs.

Parrots are there in swarms and in the evening black crows go past us in large flocks to their nighttime roosts.

At night, there is a small owl that bobs and weaves on our mango tree whenever I step out to spotlight the rear of the house for security checks ( I still hope to see a leopard!).

The only bird that has not put in an appearance is the covey of grey (brown) partridges that lived in the wild growth behind the house .... perhaps the cover has been removed and they have moved elsewhere.
I do miss their cheerful, liquid calls ..... I trained my gundogs on them when they were young pups.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:40 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Hello Maruthu,

Thanks for the input, so most of the photos are ok.

By the way, have you tried the bucktails/jigs in India? If so, did you catch anything on them? These seem to be an under-utilised lure overseas, whereas the Yanks use them for stripers all the time.

Regards,
Kingfish

I didn't have much bucktails when I returned back home about four years back. I have ordered a bunch of them that are still in my sister's home in the US. I did acquire some from my friend Binu in September, and I am planning to use them in Cape Comorin when I get there. I lost my last bucktail (with pork rind trailer) in Cape Comorin to the only strike I had that day. Hard strike, bent rod, Zzzzz Zzzzzz ..... then the leader was cut clean through. Have caught a lot of stripers on bucktails and they are my most favourite lure to use where there is a nice drift. Hopefully I get to fish them again soon and report back.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:46 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Chandigarh contd....

There is an abundance of bird life around the house, as the trees have grown large over the years and provide food and shelter for them.

From my balcony, I see striped squirrels chasing each other, while the Seven Sisters (thrushes) hop madly one after the other in the garden.I am visited regularly by the Indian long tailed bee-eater, which checks out the verandah ceiling fixtures for wasps. We are also very lucky to see a red crested woodpecker regularly visiting our garden for grubs.

Parrots are there in swarms and in the evening black crows go past us in large flocks to their nighttime roosts.

At night, there is a small owl that bobs and weaves on our mango tree whenever I step out to spotlight the rear of the house for security checks ( I still hope to see a leopard!).

The only bird that has not put in an appearance is the covey of grey (brown) partridges that lived in the wild growth behind the house .... perhaps the cover has been removed and they have moved elsewhere.
I do miss their cheerful, liquid calls ..... I trained my gundogs on them when they were young pups.

Kingfish

Nice read Kingfish!

Would love to see some pics.
Doesn't matter if they appear upside down....

Is that a spotted owlet or do you have any scops owl there?
There are quite some spotted owlets and barn owls here in Bangalore.
Love to see them pick rats at night around dumpsters.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Maruthu,

I took out my copy of Salim Ali's "Common Birds of India" but could not find any mention of the owl species you mentioned .... I presume it was a spotted owlet because of its size.

Tough to take pictures of moving/flying objects with an iPad !

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:43 am 
Fishaholic

Kerala

We reached Leela Kovalam last night after a very long and tiring flight from Chandigarh to Trivandrum,
via Delhi and Bangalore.

Our room overlooks the ocean and we slept to the sound of waves crashing on the rocks below us ..it felt like we were on board a sailing ship. The skies are grey and it has been raining steadily since last night.
I got up at 5am to check the weather.

The rocks in front of our room looked like a good place to cast some poppers but of course they are wet and treacherous to fish from. In any case, at daybreak, out came the canoes and mother boat and netted the whole area!

We had a nice dinner of grilled pomfret last night, done in a Kerala spice paste ... delicious. Which makes me wonder, why has no one on our forum ever mentioned catching pomfret? Can it be caught on lures? I would like to hear some more on this fish from our angling friends.

We plan to fish this evening after getting our gear sorted out and possibly go to Kanyakumari tomorrow for another foray,apart from the sightseeing.

Will revert.

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:20 am 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
The views from our room of the rocks, which could be fished with the proper safety gear but our friends in the canoes and boat have beaten us to it!

Maruthu, please correct images if upside down...thanks!

Kingfish

I have edited the images, but I wasn't able to change it in your post.
Will check with Bops on that later. For now, I just deleted the previous post with upside down images....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Ok, thanks Maruthu.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Poovar/Nayyar River

We started the day by seeing the temples in Trivandrum and then visiting the temple for the ladies ....
you know, the Sari houses with Kanchipuram silk! I believe that one should get the shopping out of the way prior to the fishing, as this makes the trip more palatable for the wives and they do not complain too much.

After some discussion, we decided to fish at Poovar which is about half an hour from Leela Kovalam.
We reached there about 4 pm and organised a boat and negotiated a reasonable rate for 2 hours of fishing.

The Nayyar River was running high and fast due to the daily rains and it was muddy in colour.I decided that the best way to find where the fish are would be to troll the water and I attached a Gold Bomber lure to my line.

There were immediately two hits! However, these were by a Kingfisher !! Fortunately, the bird did not get snagged but it was a close call.

We changed numerous lures and also tried casting to snags in the hope of getting a Mangrove jack but to no avail.

Around 5pm, we headed to where the river enters the ocean ... this was a beautiful place and hopes were high. I tried a Halco redhead popper and then switched to a Laser Pro but could not get a hit. The fish were there as we saw mullet trying to escape by leaping out of the water, several swirls and small baitfish trying to escape.

No luck, even the soft plastic fished at the bottom did not work.
The place was popular with the tourists and there were boats constantly going past us, making it difficult to cast and I am sure the disturbance must have scared the fish.

We returned empty handed but happy that we were fishing, finally !

Tomorrow, we plan to visit Kanyakumari for sightseeing and fishing, will file a report.

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the report Kingfish!

Good luck with your trip tomorrow!
May the fish Gods bless you with some nice GTs :-)

You can also try casting SP minnow type lures from the shore there....

Maruthu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:59 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the good wishes, Maruthu.

Yes, I took your advice and have a Daiwa SP minnow with me and I have also remembered to upgrade the hooks on it, which are notorious for being too weak for saltwater fishing.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:34 am 
Fishaholic

The boating crew at Poovar were a sceptical lot! When they asked me what "meat" I was going to use to catch the fish, they were not amused when I said "plastic" and showed them the lures.

That is ok, I have faced similar situations in other parts of India and Iran where they have not seen lure fishing!

I always carry some pictures with me, now on iPhone, to show them previous catches on lures by me.
This breaks the ice and instills confidence and I find that they become willing partners in helping me.

Certainly, the boatman in Poovar was extremely helpful and tried his very best to put me in good spots and to manoeuvre the boat into areas that he would normally not have entered if he was on a cruise carrying tourists. He also went past the allocated time so I could get some extra fishing, for which I was grateful.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:57 am 
Fishaholic

Kanyakumari

It is only 83 km to Kanyakumari from Kovalam but it is the longest 83 km I have travelled. It took 3 hours to cover this distance by car .... can you imagine a road going through every single village and town enroute? All trucks and pedestrians share the same space and one crawls through as best as one can.

India Tourism has to develop new roads and facilities to encourage tourism in this area, it is still stuck with ideas and infrastructure that date back to a century ago and it does not pass muster in this day and age.

We did the whole sightseeing bit very quickly as it was extremely crowded and I guess our main purpose was to visit the most southern tip of mainland India and see the confluence of the Bay of Bengal,Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea from there.

A quick lunch of Surmai biryani ( which is the name for Spanish mackerel here) was enjoyed together with a rather potent Kingfisher beer, before we proceeded to our next destination.

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:10 am 
Fishaholic

GT fishing

We reached a beautiful area, thanks to a forum member, where a river emptied into the ocean and a rocky seawall gave perfect access to deep water . The boulders underwater gave cover for large fish such as GTs and grouper.

There were terns already diving into the water and the water was not too choppy, so I started by casting out with the Halco redhead popper and covered the water thoroughly for half an hour.

I then switched to the Daiwa SP minnow and repeated the same pattern without any hits.

I had a 7 ft 3in Shimano 3 piece travel rod rated 10-15 kilos, mated to a Stradic 8000 FJ reel loaded with 50lb braid terminating with a 60lb fluoro leader tied with an FG knot.The outfit worked beautifully and was well balanced. I could send out long casts and had no trouble working the popper as the rod was quite stiff yet supple.

I had noticed a clear defined line between the muddy river water (it had rained in the Kerala coastal region in the previous days) and the clean ocean water. From previous experience in Australia, I knew that larger fish such as barramundi lurk just inside the muddy water. They then ambush any fish going past them in the cleaner water.

I sent several casts through this area to draw out any lurking predators, without a hit. I switched to my tried and tested 40gm Twisty metal and cast for a while in this area but could not get any action.

I had started fishing on a sunny, warm day at 3 pm and the heat was reflecting off the rocks.By now, I was starting to feel the first onset of heat exhaustion. I had intended to carry on fishing into the evening so it was with a heavy heart that I had to stop.

It was a difficult decision as this was the best chance that I would have to get GTs from the mainland. It is not possible to do that safely in Australia as our GTs are in remoter northern areas, which are dangerous and crocodile infested.

When returning, I could not resist sending out the SP minnow into the slacker river water and was rewarded with a follow by what looked like a mangrove jack ... however, it did not strike the lure.

I cannot fully express my gratitude to the Indian Angler forum members who devoted so much time in giving me information to get to this location,as well as to what lures to use. Without them,I would have been clueless.

My thanks to you, gentlemen.

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:18 am 
Fishaholic

Great going kingfish. Hopping soon you will be rewarded. I am not much familiar with lure fishing but used some for snake heads. I also have noticed when water is muddy dip of cod liver oil on lures (specially artificial frogs) works very well for them. Cod liver oil is available on every medicine store as vitamin capsule. You can give it a try. All the best.
Regards,
Arefin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:40 am 
Fishaholic

Fish or no fish. Keep on trying I am sure you will be on to fish soon. I know how difficult it is to hit the areas at the right time, like early mornings and late evening and choosing ideal tide timings when travelling with the family.

Good luck

Jeen

P.S. Iam still in the UAE tied up with work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:01 am 
Fishaholic

As Jeen said, while travelling with family getting the right time for fishing is the biggest challenge.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:16 am 
Fishaholic

Arefin,

I thank you for your good wishes.As a fellow angler, I am sure you know that fishing can be up and down,so one can only keep trying.

We do use ready made scents on our lures in muddy or murky waters but these are very expensive. For example, a small tube costs about A$ 14 ( roughly Indian Rupees 700/-), so using cod liver oil capsules would be very economical and productive.

Kind regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:21 am 
Fishaholic

Jeen,

Thank you for your encouraging words. Yes, it can be a difficult balance with family and on a holiday in a different part of the world !

I was lucky that it was high tide and the wind was in my favour, which made fishing easier.

Kind regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:24 am 
Fishaholic

Venkat,

Many thanks .... someday the stars favour you and you catch the fish of your lifetime!

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:43 am 
Fishaholic

Thekaddey

So we have now headed inland to the hilly areas to visit the tea and coffe growing areas of Kerala. Our overnight stop is at Thekaddey, some 6 hours driving time from Trivandrum.

I take back my previous negative comments about Kerala roads. The road to Thekaddey was beautiful and wide, as good as any overseas. The scenery was beautiful and the tea gardens enroute, together with coffee estates and pineapple fields, were delightful.

I did not glimpse any wildlife enroute but we were travelling through the day... I am sure the hills and jungle hold various animals. If I am not wrong, did not the noted hunter Keith Anderson do most of his
shooting in these parts, getting rid of maneating leopards?

Just prior to reaching Thekaddey, there is a shop on the left side of the road that sells tea and coffee and has a sign advertising fishing. So I stopped and asked the owner the type of fishing available there.

He told me that they had a stocked pond on the property, which held carp and tilapia. If any fellow anglers pass that way and are interested in some pond fishing for these species, you should give this place a try.

We saw a magnificent display of the Indian style of karate last night and we will take in some classical
Kathakali tonight.

The daytime is for sightseeing the spice gardens in the area and a possible jeep safari in the jungle, weather permitting. There is fishing in the Periyar lake nearby but it may not be possible for me to check this out on this visit.

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Kingfish,

I am visiting my hometown this weekend, which is just down the hills.
Are you still there through the weekend? We have the Periar there and may be you could try to fish it.

Check out Spice Village in Thekkady. They have a nice bar with some nice vintage photos with description.

Maruthu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Maruthu,

What bad luck .... we leave for Kochi tomorrow early in the morning, via Munnar. I cannot change the plans at this late stage, I would have enjoyed meeting up with you and doing some fishing in your backyard.

Kind regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Periyar Lake

I decided to visit this lake and take the boat cruise. The trip around the lake was very pleasant and I was able to spot elephants, gaur, sambhar with the help of my mini binoculars. We also literally drove into a sounder of wild pigs when exiting the park ... also plenty of black tailed langurs, which are a rarity otherwise.

I wished to find out about the angling possibilities in Periyar Lake and was advised that it was not possible for outsiders to fish there.Only the local villagers have permission to catch fish.
Further enquiries from a knowledgable boat guide revealed that there were tilapia and catfish in the lake,apart from some unique species which were listed on a display board by the Park authorities.

I trust this information will be helpful for fellow anglers.

We also visited a spice garden and learnt of the various spices grown in the region, as well as plants used in Ayurvedic medicines. Fascinating stuff.

I questioned the guide about snakes in the area and he told me that there were about 15 species of snakes there, out of which 10 were poisonous. The deadliest being the King Cobra and presumably some from the viper family.

Interestingly, he showed us a plant with bright green berries, which he said was used to treat snakebite.
He said this plant was effective in treating the poison from the normal Cobras and he seemed very confident in his belief.

Quite a lot of pictures but unable to post them due to technical glitches, perhaps I may do so much later.

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:42 am 
Fishaholic

Munnar

We almost did not go there! There was a dense fog when we got up in the morning at Thekaddey and as Munnar was at a higher altitude, the hotel staff were of the opinion that it would be better to bypass it and go straight to Kochi.

However, I decided to take the chance and we were glad that it worked out.

The route took us through beautiful scenery, tall mountains, waterfalls and the sun came out! It seems that the maximum amount of cardamom is grown in this belt between Thekaddey and Munnar as entire hillsides were covered with their bushes. This gave way gradually to tea gardens and estates.

We visited a tea factory and learnt that there was green tea, black tea and would you believe it, white tea! Bought a small sample of the black.

In Kochi now, we have booked a backwaters day trip on a houseboat, with the proviso that I can fish from it.Looks a bit grim at the moment with thunder and forecast rain.

Will see what happens later on in the day.

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:30 am 
Fishaholic

Kochi

We reached here last night. Lovely harbour views .... but the waters are weed choked apart from the main channel.

Considered hiring a boat to try trolling down the main channel. However, PM Modi is visiting here and water activity is going to be curtailed due to security reasons.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:38 am 
Fishaholic

Kochi harbour views

Trying to download some iPad pictures ... maybe upside down, Maruthu kindly correct.

Thank you,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:49 am 
Fishaholic

Another view from the balcony.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Backwaters Cruise

Just came back from a half day cruise in a Kerala style houseboat. I did take a light outfit and some lures for fishing and as an afterthought, some hooks and a bobber for bait fishing.

We went to the backwater lake near Aleppy and it is vast in size.it has pearl spot (currymeen or karimeen in Malayalam) and catfish, no saltwater species.

It was not possible to do trolling in the water as it was full of weeds. The boat man asked me to rig up with a hook and baited it with atta, heavy enough to go to the bottom. Several strikes later, we boated a small catfish before pulling up stumps.

It was an enjoyable experience but the fishing opportunities are limited, if any anglers wish to know.

Photos below.

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Sorry, no photos as even the two iPads do not communicate with each other! Will have to post upon return in Sydney, unfortunately.

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.