->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:30 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Re: "Kingfish" in India
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Chinese Nets

We had a day in hand for sightseeing in Kochi, so we did the normal touristy jaunt of Fort Kochi area, taking in the Jewish Synagogue, Palace Museum and the Portugese Church.

I then went to see the Chinese nets and was most interested to see the catch of the day at the various fish stalls.It ranged from mangrove jack, red and white snapper,pomfret,small sharks including a hammerhead shark, mullet,Mahi mahi, kingfish, whiting, various trevally and............ finally, barramundi !

Unfortunately, there was no size restriction on netting the fish and it was sad to see so many undersized fish being caught and sold.

We leave for Chandigarh tomorrow and we will be sad to leave Kerala, we enjoyed the scenery and the people were warm and friendly.

Fishing wise, I did not get to do too much as it was primarily a sightseeing trip with my wife.However, I was able to see the angling scene first hand and it looks good but one needs local knowledge and time to be successful.

I feel that the rivers offer a lot of potential for trolling and casting lures for mangrove jacks and barramundi.However, it is the river mouth areas draining into the ocean that would give tremendous action for barramundi,grouper and giant trevally.

I am rather envious of the forum members who live in this state !

Regards to all,
Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:36 am 
Fishaholic

Pomfret

I have not received any feedback from forum members if pomfret is caught on lures. Is it possible to do so?

Venkat? Maruthu? Anyone else able to shed some light on this ?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:17 am 
Fishaholic

Lures

The lures used in Kerala.

The Halco popper and the Daiwa SP minnow were knocked around on the rocks quite a bit, surprisingly the lures held up quite well to the rough usage.

I was most impressed with the SP minnow, as it cast very well in the windy conditions and swam well in the waves. As mentioned, I had upgraded the factory fitted hooks and it did not affect the lure's action.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:47 am 
Fishaholic

Kerala lures

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:32 am 
Fishaholic

Finally got the pictures, after some technical mumbo jumbo, of the houseboat trip.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:56 am 
Fishaholic

Some more pictures

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:05 am 
Fishaholic

Houseboats in Kerala

My experience has been that a houseboat on the backwaters of Kerala is a great deal of fun with family and friends, as you can relax and eat in style.

However, from an angling viewpoint, the fishing is not going to be great as the waters are full of weeds. This would make it very difficult to spin fish and it is only our brethren who baitfish that will stand a chance of success.

The backwaters would have karibeen (pearl spot) and catfish as the primary species.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:42 am 
Fishaholic

GT fishing

Ideal waters to catch the big ones! Reasonably safe casting from the rocks although your lures will take a beating ....... you have to time your retrieve with the swells or you can say goodbye to your lure!

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:30 am 
Fishaholic

Poovar and the Nayyar River

There had been unseasonal rains in Kerala, so the river was muddy and high.

I am sure if the river was calm and with clean water, it would be good for mangrove jack and Barra .

The sand bar at the river mouth was a perfect place to catch Barra and other species. One needs more time to do justice to this place!

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:47 am 
Fishaholic

GT fishing from the shore in India

It was an interesting experience fishing for GTs from the rocks, a unique experience for me.

The primary concern should be for one's safety as the rocks are slippery and the ocean is unforgiving.
One can easily slip and twist an ankle or worse.

Lure retrieval is difficult as it can easily catch on the rocks and be lost ... one has to time it so that the lure comes in with a wave and can then be lifted safely from the water.

This was new for me, as in Australia we would have approached a similar area in a boat and cast towards the rocks and retrieved the lure boatwards.

The same water would have been covered but if there is a strike, one has a better chance of landing the GT as the boat skipper will use the engine to help pull the fish away from the rocks and into deeper water where one may fight and bring it in safely.

One still has to fight the initial surge of the GT, which is no easy task.

Furthermore, one then has to land the GT when it is still relatively "green" (fresh) so that it can escape the sharks which appear almost as soon as they hear a boat engine.

Different places, different techniques, I guess.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:50 am 
Fishaholic

This concludes my report.

We leave for Sydney this week with pleasant memories of Kerala.

Until next time, tight lines!

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:50 am 
Fishaholic

Gravity has played a cruel trick on us :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Bobby,

Thanks for your post but it has got lost in the translation ??

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:23 am 
Fishaholic

Some of the pictures are upside down :), was just having a laugh.

Looks like you had fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:31 pm 
Fishaholic

That's a good one !

Yes, I have had this issue because of using an iPad to format the pictures.

All the pictures appear straight on my iPad, perhaps because I live "Down Under " !

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes I heard those stories

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Kingfish,

Great report. Thanks very much for sharing your experiences. It looks like you had a great trip to India and specially Kerala. You're right to be a little envious of those fishers that live there! I was also there recently, and felt the same when I left. It would have been great to stay longer but I guess I will have to go back sometime :)

All the best, Scott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:51 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Scott, hope to see you in India soon .... did you get any fishing done on your latest trip here?

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:54 am 
Fishaholic

When revisiting this post, I noticed on page 1 that a lot of my pictures have been moved around, duplicated and do not fit the captions or narration?

Any idea why this has happened ?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Kingfish,

I wasn't there long but managed a few sessions and had a few nice fish. Actually first cast with a small soft plastic prawn I had a nice mulloway/black jew fish from the back waters around Kochi. The fish must have been around five kilos but while landing it the hook slipped so unfortunately I didn't get a photo. I'll always remember this fish's beautiful iridescent scales shining all sorts of colours through the water. It was a truly beautiful specimen.

I also had some good sized mangrove jacks and also a flat head on the soft plastic prawns from the backwaters. The jacks were very good fun. A friend and I also had a session on a rock wall but it wasn't too action packed. My friend had a small threadfin and I had a few small bites. That was all.

So not really too much fishing time but some good rewards had. I can see great potential with some proper time put in so I will be back.

I might write up the complete trip sometime when I have time. It's a shame because I also lost a memory card from the first half of my trip which held some good images of fish from other spots on the west coast. Still some nice memories are there :)

All the best, Scott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:00 am 
Fishaholic

Nice to learn that you did get some fishing during your brief stay, Scott.

I am intrigued that you caught a black jewfish in the backwaters around Kochi, as well as a flattie and MJs.When I visited these waters, I was told very emphatically by the houseboat captain that there were no saltwater species in the backwaters, "only karibeen and catfish".

I guess I should have had a go despite what he said, in hindsight. I am very keen to try out the Savage Gear 3D TPE Shrimp that I purchased recently, in such waters.

Hopefully, you may have the time to put in a full trip report in due course.

Regards,
Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:18 am 
Fishaholic

The Savage Gear Shrimp .... does good things in Australian tropical waters !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:58 am 
Fishaholic

That looks cool kingfish!

I guess it is used in skinny water for barramundi?

Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Maruthu,

Yes, the guy who fished this shrimp used it extensively in the saltwater creeks in Queensland, with a water depth of a few meters depending on the tide.

It was used to catch Barra, mangrove jacks and the occasional small grouper.

By the way, I sent you a pm which you did not answer ... perhaps it got lost somewhere.

Just wanted to say I will be at the Taj, Fishermans Cove, in Chennai from 15-19th of this month ... so if you are around let me know,so we get to meet and perhaps have a fishing session.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:28 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Hello Maruthu,

Yes, the guy who fished this shrimp used it extensively in the saltwater creeks in Queensland, with a water depth of a few meters depending on the tide.

It was used to catch Barra, mangrove jacks and the occasional small grouper.

By the way, I sent you a pm which you did not answer ... perhaps it got lost somewhere.

Just wanted to say I will be at the Taj, Fishermans Cove, in Chennai from 15-19th of this month ... so if you are around let me know,so we get to meet and perhaps have a fishing session.

Regards,
Kingfish

Kingfish,

The last PM I see from you was from Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:00 pm. Must have lost I guess....

I was planning to be there the following week. However, now that you are there the week before that, let me see if I can take a couple of days off and be there from the 17th till 20th. I shall confirm by the 14th though....

If I visit, I'll be staying at Mahabalipuram and will be fishing the spot in front the hotel every evening.
Do you have a surf rod with you for fishing that beach? Otherwise, please feel free to let me know if you want me to bring you a surf rod/reel for fishing that beach.

Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:43 pm 
Fishaholic

No fears, Maruthu.

I have all the equipment necessary for beach fishing. Just pm me your mobile number, so that we can coordinate matters.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:06 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
No fears, Maruthu.

I have all the equipment necessary for beach fishing. Just pm me your mobile number, so that we can coordinate matters.

Regards,
Kingfish

That sounds cool!

I'll send my phone number in a PM.

Maruthu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Kingfish,

How much do the savage gear prawns weigh? And do they come in different sizes? They look very good...I used similar made by Berkeley but each prawn was more or less destroyed after a take from a mangrove jack. I was fishing along-side a weed bed edge and strikes were pretty savage and my prawns suffered badly!

I was fishing in the backwaters fairly close to the sea . But I would think the fish I encountered will be far up in the network of water around Kochi. Barramundi, jacks, ox eye tarpon, milkfish, juvenile trevally and groupers will all certainly be far inland, even past where the water is saline. The black jew fish might be an exception. I don't have much experience with this spp. but I see no reason why they won't be fairly far into the back waters too. Maybe the guy you spoke to didn't have personal experience in these matters. I have often been told similar 'facts' but proved them wrong after fishing for some time in the areas.

All the best, Scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Scott,

The Savage Gear 3D TPE Shrimp comes in 3 sizes .. 2.5 inch, 3.5 inch and 5 inches.

I have the 5 inch and it weighs 15 gms., I don't have the weights for the other sizes unfortunately and I can't find it on the Internet.

They claim that the tail is "nylon mesh reinforced" and the whole thing is made of sturdy TPE (thermoplastic elastomer).

I have not yet used these shrimps so I cannot say how well these will stand up to MJs but the guy who fishes with it had several takes by MJs and I did not see the shrimp damaged.

You can see it on YouTube, just enter "Andy's Fishing" ... the guy is an Aussie fisho who does a lot of creek fishing for Barra, jacks etc. and is quite knowledgable and entertaining in a low key manner, quite unlike some of the US anglers on YouTube.

Good luck and if I can help in any further manner, let me know.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Scott,

I forgot to mention that this guy ( Andy) does rig this shrimp with a small bean sinker attached in front, so that the extra weight allows him to pitch it a bit further than the standard version.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Kingfish,

I will check out the vids. I like the fact that the prawns are reinforced :) I will have to get a few packets I reckon.

And that's a good tip regarding the small ball sinker. I've tried it a few times while using small shads and it works a treat in the right circumstances.

All the best and tight lines, Scott