->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:11 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello fellow anglers,

I'm in town for ~12 days on a sudden trip and I would like to spend sometime with my rod and reel and then fly back to wintry grips of USA. It's been a while since I've fished for anything back in my hometown. Most of the "secret" saltwater places where I used to fish now have a thriving human habitat and therefore un-fishable and almost all local paddy fields have disappeared as well.

I am seeking information on any serene and peaceful locations to fish, in and around Mangalore, Karnataka, India. I would love to get some location details for freshwater and saltwater and species to fish for. I have with me my trusty 5WT fly rod and a 6'-6" light travel rod for anybody willing to join me, I also have a couple of boxes filled with flies, streamers, nymphs, and lures.

If nothing works out then I'll head to the beach and some back water estuaries and try my luck over there. May be next time around I'll be better prepared.

Thanks all for the read and if this is supposed to be posted here, I would request the admins to move the post to a more appropriate section. I apologize if seeking location details and related information is against forum rules and if so, please do not mind.

Thanks all and tight lines fellas!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello people.

I visited an estuary spot I used to visit as a kid. A lot of sweet memories from this place. Started casting Mepps like 1/8 oz spinning lure and caught me a nice jack. Looks like a Mangrove Jack, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Looks like several other fish were chasing the lure when I was reeling it in fast on top water. Learned real quick to let the lure drop and reel it in nice and slow with an occasional jig like action.

I'm not sure what other species can be fished for from the shore. I have a top water lure, an underwater 3/4 oz no.2 silver spoon, another spinning lure and DOA shrimp soft plastic. Well try them all and report back.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:09 pm 

That is definetly a Mangrove Jack (Cavaj :))
Keep casting in around Malpe port area and island, chances are more to land Bigger mangrove jacks, barramundi, GT's, Groupers and Ocassionaly Threadfins (Rawas).

All the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:37 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks man, appreciate the info. I'm back in states now, had fun fishing back in places where I used to as a kid.

Found out a few places to fish in-land for some freshwater beauties. No proud catch to show off though.

Cheers.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Memories are more important.

I hope you had fun fishing and that is all that matters.

Nice pic by the way!

Maruthu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:55 am 
Fishaholic

@Maruthu, yup had tonnes of fun.

Fished a few remote places in the western ghats and found a couple of spots with Deccan Mahseer (Tor Khudree) but couldn't entice even a single fish. I didn't carry my conventional tackle over there as it was a light weight $20 El-cheapo outfit with a 8-lb mono line!

I also went searching for few lakes and ponds with snakeheads and found all but two of them with size-able piggy's floating around. connected with a couple but I snapped the line each time and lost all my streamers. All I had with me was a 5WT rod with 3/4/5/6X nylon tippet that I use for nymphing trout. I wasn't prepared and I was PO that I wasn't prepared, but next time I will..... in a couple of years or so! LOL

But looks like rampant development and unsustainable economical practices are causing a huge pressure on the environment. It was heartbreaking to see gillnets with quarter size openings and extremely small fish they had trapped in Mangalore port. Not a good sign. Hopefully things will change in the future.

Hope y'all have fun.

I'll leave you with some beauties I caught this season.

Cheers....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:27 am 
Fishaholic

That is a beautiful trout..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:44 pm 

Amazing trout that is,

I am having my vacation from 25th March to 12th April around mangalore region and have been stocking lures, lines and equips for this trip, most of these days wil lbe fishing between mangalore to malpe and all riverlets and river/sea joints.

If anyone around to plan and explore please do msg.

thanks and have fun.

Tab

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:59 pm 
Enlightened

tabreznet wrote:
Amazing trout that is,

I am having my vacation from 25th March to 12th April around mangalore region and have been stocking lures, lines and equips for this trip, most of these days wil lbe fishing between mangalore to malpe and all riverlets and river/sea joints.

If anyone around to plan and explore please do msg.

thanks and have fun.

Tab

Salaam tabrez.
Iam from around malpe.
It will be among my great days
If I got your company.
I don't think so, because on 3april is my niece's marriage ceremony so I could not be able to accompany you.
Anyway, contact me via moderators.

Have nice visit. [smilie=coolup.gif]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:46 pm 

Sure, I am available on the said time and we can catchup. let me know your contacts and i shall touch base.

regards.

Tabrez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:13 pm 
Enlightened

tabreznet wrote:
Sure, I am available on the said time and we can catchup. let me know your contacts and i shall touch base.

regards.

Tabrez

Visit my introduction page,
And thanx 4 ur response. [smilie=cool.gif]