->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:16 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Crocs and MJs - Goa 2018
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:02 pm 
Fishaholic

As usual, I took a mini break from work in India and went to Goa for some much needed change. It did not take long to organise a fishing trip after barra and mj's.

An early morning departure from the jetty saw us casting lures for the barracudas that were hanging around that area (no luck) and then a quick stop near a reef where we cast spoons and poppers to tempt some GTs, without any interest from them.

Onwards to our final destination, where we started our troll for Barramundi and MJs with some medium to deep diving lures.

We landed several MJs of a decent size and a lone barracuda, which was of a small size and obviously recently spawned .

There was a noticeable increase in the number of saltwater crocodiles sunning on the banks and we approached very close to a large specimen in order to get some photos. He was very cooperative and did not budge from his position.

We did not get any Barramundi, although we may have missed a couple of them that got off the hook before we could positively identify the type of fish.

The general feeling seems to be that more and more MJs are being caught in that area , with fewer barra. No idea why that has happened.

Pictures below of small size due to ipad inability to format larger sized ones when airdropped from our
iPhone.

PS. Sorted this issue of small prints, see larger pictures underneath. If you email too many pictures at one go to the ipad, it condenses their size. Do it one at a time and you are ok to go with larger size.

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Contd ..

If you troll deep, you are bound to snag your lure. If you are lucky you may get it out without too much fuss.

If you are seriously stuck, then you need a lure retriever.
This is one such gadget, custom made by my guide which helped save 3 lures worth some A$ 40 or thereabouts.

Kingfish

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by kingfish on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:17 am 
Fishaholic

The Storm Thunder Barra Deep11 is a recent lure replacing the famous Barra Magnum. I tried it for the first time on this trip and was quite impressed with it.

If trolled on 40lb braid line, it will go down to 11+ feet with a nice action. I have not yet tried casting it.
The hooks are very sturdy, as is the overall build quality, with a range of colours available.

Favourably impressed.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:27 am 
Fishaholic

Thunder Barra Deep 11

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:30 am 
Fishaholic

Testing resized images

Last edited by kingfish on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:41 am 
Fishaholic

More

Last edited by kingfish on Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:52 am 
Fishaholic

Apologies for the slight adjustments to the narrative.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:18 am 
Fishaholic

Some of the other lures that worked were the Halco Poltergeist and the Classic Barra +10 and the
+15 models.

A word to those trying to troll, be prepared to lose a lot of lures to debris at the bottom as well as to
long lines and pieces of netting.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Views

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Off the coast of Goa, casting to the rocky shoreline for GTs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Tried a change of scene by going along the coastline, casting for GTs at likely looking areas, as well as trolling for Barramundi.

The location looks promising and needs further exploring .... hope to come back sometime.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:32 pm 
Fishaholic

On the final evening, went upriver casting small bodied lures to all likely spots along the shoreline.

Had a savage smash on the Xrap 10 and the MJ gave a feisty account of itself.

All in all, not a bad trip.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:48 pm 
Fishaholic

I used the Daiwa BG SW reel in sizes 3000, 4000 and 4500 on this trip exclusively and on purpose, to test them out under different fishing conditions i.e. surf casting, spinning and trolling.

There was never any issue with them and they all performed flawlessly.The larger 4500 size was loaded with 20 lb mono line, the other two had braid.

I must confess that the FG knot failed again and I was lucky to recover the lure as the knot gave way near the shore. This was on the 3000 sized reel.

I reverted to the double uni knot which performed perfectly, although it did not pass smoothly through the guides.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice report and pics Kingfish! Thank you for sharing!

I'm curous about the lure retriever as it might work for me when fishing rocky areas.
Also, looking forward to tying the FG knot on my next trip and hope that it doesn't fail.

Cheers!
Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Maruthu.

Various types of lure retrievers are available in the market..... maybe worthwhile picking one up if lure
losses are a concern.

Good luck with the FG knot. If it gives way during a cast no lure retriever is ever going to get the lure back for you!

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Good report @Kingfish. Keep 'em coming....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:06 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Ulygun.

No news from your end?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice report and photos kinfish.

kingfish wrote:
A word to those trying to troll, be prepared to lose a lot of lures to debris at the bottom as well as to
long lines and pieces of netting.
Kingfish

With the amout of discarded lines and net I have seen around jetties, I wonder how fishes are still comming nearby.

Last time when me and Maruthu were in Rameshwaram, we noticed an entire beach covered with mangled remains or synthetic rope used to anchor boats.

Regards,
H.Venkatesan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Venkat,

It is a sad situation.....tough on fish and marine life, as well as anglers!

Kingfish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:24 am 
Fishaholic

Now the funny thing is the some govt super markets in India have done away with plastic bags but have come up with fine nylon net bags instead to hold groceries (the ones that stretch). Can you imagine the devastation this will cause to marine and bird life once this finds its way to the seas, rivers and outdoors. I do not understand what kind of Moron comes up with these kind of ideas, to do away with plastic bags and bring netted bags. Its like trying to cure the flu with anthrax!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:21 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Thanks, Ulygun.

No news from your end?

Kingfish

Work has been hectic and relentless man, a good problem to have to be honest. Haven't been out fishing as much as I liked to.

I'm thinking of quit hunting for an ideal kayak, jump directly to a bay boat option and get into some serious saltwater fishing. Couple of times that I've been out this year, the combat fishing on the jetties and surfs is strongly pushing me towards the boat option. Less outing with a boat = better and more chances at good fishing water.

Not to hijack this thread any further. But this is my current situation! But I am glad that you're putting in some fishing time and some good reporting right there, much appreciated. Some angler/ing goals you give us rookies.

Cheers...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:35 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Ulygun, good luck with boat fishing.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Great report Kingfish, you caught a lot of MJ!! I didn't know we had crocs in the backwaters in and around Goa. Maruthu fishes there a lot but never mentioned about Crocs.
I am getting ready for some trout fishing, that would open in a week. Will update here how it goes .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Binu,

I was also unaware about saltwater crocodiles in India. I think this is due to the fact that there have not been reports about attacks on humans by them in Goa .... there are regular killings by the same crocodiles in Australia and therefore greater awareness among the populace.

I have seen people casting nets from the shore and I also saw a person diving in the river to get oysters in the backwaters of Goa, activities that would be tantamount to suicide in Australia!

I was told that there seems to be a live and let live attitude between man and the crocodiles in Goa. However, I would not be taking any chances around them!

Good luck with the trout fishing.

Kingfish