->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:17 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:38 am 
Fishaholic

Forum readers may recall my earlier Sept. 2017 trip to New Zealand when trout fishing was closed for the season.

I travelled this year in the beginning of October so as to catch the start of the trout fishing, with a trip to the Marlborough region of the South Isalnd. This region is world famous for its wines ( Cloudy Bay, Stoneleigh are two of the famous vineyards from here) but equally famous for its trout rivers ... the
Wairau, Waimea, Matai, Motueka ,Pelorus, Rai are river names that roll off the tongue of any serious
Angler visiting this region.

Most of my fishing was done on these rivers with my spinning gear and despite the early start, it was tough going trying to catch any trout (both the brown and the rainbows share the same waters).

I had a glorious mix of Mepps, Blue Fox, Vibrex spinners ... Toby spoons... Rapala minnows of all sizes and patterns but the fish were shy. At best they would follow the lure but not strike, pulling away at the last moment, it was quite frustrating.

Contd.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:47 am 
Fishaholic

I tried almost all of the rivers listed above with no results for 5 consecutive days. Fellow anglers will
sympathise with me as they know how frustrating it can be.

However, there was a Bollywood ending to the trip.

On the very last evening, I fished a deep pool that had produced a lot of false hits and follows when I fished it earlier.. This time I was better prepared and started catching trout just on dusk.

All of the several brown trout were caught on a 10 Gm Toby spoon with a brown/red dotted surface on one side with a golden shine on the reverse. This had produced a 6lb brown on an earlier trip so I had confidence in this lure.

I caught several browns ranging from 1-3 lbs and could have caught a dozen more but I was satisfied and called it a day when the fish were still rising and feeding.

Pictures follow. Enjoy.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:01 am 
Fishaholic

The sedate river in the background and a small trout in hand, a very feisty fish that had ruffled the water with its aerobatic leaps.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by kingfish on Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:33 am 
Fishaholic

Some pretty wildflowers near the Wairau River bank.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by kingfish on Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:50 am 
Fishaholic

Pictures

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:00 am 
Fishaholic

Lovely brown trout caught right at dusk ..... safely released to live for the future.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:08 am 
Fishaholic

Another nice one on the Toby spoon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:13 am 
Fishaholic

As the fish were landed on a sandy bank (no net was used to avoid injury to the fish), they look a bit
dirty. Here one is being handled before a clean dip to wipe the sand off.

Last edited by kingfish on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:21 am 
Fishaholic

Angling on the Rai River bank..... tall lush grass but there are no snakes or poisonous spiders in New Zealand, unlike India or Australia, so one can fish without a worry.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:26 am 
Fishaholic

Anglers Access sign boards are prominently displayed for us, making it easy to find a location and
without fear of trespassing on someone's land ( a serious sin in these countries). The gates are kept on a latch, which you open and then close behind you to keep out stray cattle and sheep.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:31 am 
Fishaholic

Wairau River near the ocean.

Trying for sea run trout (brown trout that enters the ocean, goes and does what? no one knows, and
returns to the rivers again). It is a silvery fish and hits silver or white coloured lures.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:38 am 
Fishaholic

In between, we tried for some Kawahai( Australian salmon) that are prolific in New Zealand salt waters
and are spectacular fighters.

The rented car was a Toyota RAV4, perfect for our purposes as it had all wheel drive to cope with rough roads, as well as ample gear carrying capacity.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:44 am 
Fishaholic

When near the ocean, I could not resist casting lures for kingfish (which I have yet to catch and land)
although it was not the right time for them. I hope next year.

The metal lure is a Sniper, on which I hooked a kingfish in Sydney but it went into the rocks and I lost it.

The redhead lure is a Savage Gear mid-depth diver.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:54 am 
Fishaholic

I leave you some more pictures.
It was spring time in New Zealand and the trees and flowers were on show in abundance. A great time to visit and fish!

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:57 am 
Fishaholic

There are more pictures of the trout fishing but need to be resized prior to posting. Will try to get that done in due course.

Kingfish.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:21 am 
Fishaholic

This was the largest fish of the day, about 3lbs (1.5 kilos).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:25 am 
Fishaholic

Another closeup.

The Toby spoon had a single, offset replacement hook fitted by me, it worked perfectly with it hooking the fish in the side of the jaw. Minimal trauma for the trout when released.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:45 am 
Fishaholic

I was rather pleased to catch this fish after putting so much time and energy over nearly a week on the waters.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:47 am 
Fishaholic

It is dusk time and the curtain falls on this trip, a happy and satisfying ending.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:56 am 
Fishaholic

Enjoyed reading. It is good to know, this time you were able to catch trout.
The water looks crystal clear and landscape looks beautiful too. I wish our waters are also like this.

Regards,
H.Venkatesan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Venkat.

Some of the rivers in Uttarkhand are relatively clean in the upper reaches, such as the Saryu where I caught mahseer in some beautiful locales.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Beautiful report and lovely pics there Kingfish!

Looks like that 10 gram Toby spoon worked well for you.
Glad you managed to slam some nice trout on the last session.

Are there any Crocodiles there?

Thank you for sharing! Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Maruthu.

There are no crocodiles in New Zealand.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:38 pm 
Fishaholic

The only thing one has to be careful about when fishing near streams in New Zealand is the presence of midges, a small black fly that bites the flesh and can cause discomfort if you scratch the bite.

A bottle of insect repellent spray ( such as Aeroguard or Off , Bushman) is a must carry item. A soothing gel applied to the bites is very helpful.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:13 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
The only thing one has to be careful about when fishing near streams in New Zealand is the presence of midges, a small black fly that bites the flesh and can cause discomfort if you scratch the bite.

A bottle of insect repellent spray ( such as Aeroguard or Off , Bushman) is a must carry item. A soothing gel applied to the bites is very helpful.

Kingfish

With all the lush green in New Zealand, it is hard to believe that there is no danger lurking in the woods or the bushes. Must be an awesome place to live for someone that loves hunting and fishing.

By the way, there seems to be a lot of clearance in the back in the place where you caught those trout. I can't help myself think that it would be a paradise for fly fisherman as there is plenty of room to cast the fly.

Cheers!
Maruthu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:21 pm 
Fishaholic

@Kingfish,

Thanks for posting the pics of lush greenery and clear waters. Some really noteworthy catches over there. And most of all, it looks like you enjoyed a lot over there. Like they say, a bad day of fishing beats a great day at work.

Cheers....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Maruthu,

You are absolutely right .... hunting and fishing are well established in NZ and game such as mallard ducks, California quail, Canada geese have been successfully released into the ecosystem for the wing shooter.

The bigger game shooter is catered for by similarly introduced red deer from the UK and tahr from the subcontinent. Very popular with Australian hunters.

As for fly fishing, it is a dream location with ample space for casting and shallow rivers and streams for wading.

Give it a visit sometime.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:50 pm 
Fishaholic

@Ulygun

Thanks, really enjoyed the trip .... apart from the fishing, there is some fantastic scenery to look at and
some superb wines to taste.

You must be headed into autumn and the striper/ surf fishing must be good. Hope to hear from you on this!

Kingfish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:34 am 
Fishaholic

Very nice Kingfish..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:01 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Bobby.

I believe you were in New Zealand recently ? Get any chance to fish there?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:43 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Kingfish,

Did not go there, have postponed the trip.

Bobby