->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 3:56 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:01 pm 

Hello fellow anglers
I finally got a taste of saltwater fishing and the dangers of it.
Its good but can test your patience to limits you can't imagine(or maybe i was doing something wrong).

It started with me reaching Agonda in the afternoon and as soon as i had checked in, i picked up my tackle and left for the south side of the beach where there were rocks, looked like a potential spot. I reached and the huge boulders were a task to climb and since it was my first time i was super afraid of falling or slipping on these huge rocks. after reaching a flat rock i sat down assembled my 4pc 10ft Okuma Nomad, attached a Daiwa SP minnow and chucked in the thrashing water. cast after cast i was waiting for a pull but nothing happened and in desperation i started changing lures. Poppers, jigs, stickbaits,etc. nothing got any bite and since it started getting dark i climbed down and started casting from the shore. Even the bucktail jig didn't get a single bite. I came back and went to a boat guy, asked him if he can take me in the middle of the sea the next day and wrapped up my day with hopes for another day.
The next day i tried casting from the beach but got nothing so in the evening i went on the boat in the middle. The boat had a closed top so to cast i had to stand on the front tip of the boat to cast. Again i tried different lure and even lost my bucktail in of the rocks. Finally at a rocky shore i got a hit on a very slow retrieve on a jig and double hooked on two fishes at the same time. After that i tried the same technique at the same spot and got hits, but every fish was of the same size. got five in total and time got over with the boat guys so we headed back.
At night i tried fishing at the shore with a fish's head and had heard rays and sharks can be caught with such a rig. I had made a fish finder rig(YouTube video guidance). i could feel the fishes hitting my bait but nothing substantial hit my bait. When i retrieved, my bait was hollowed by small fishes which ate all the insides of my bait.
Overall it was a good trip and at the same time i expected more. I had put together a tackle that can pull big fishes but got just small ones.
The learning was,
1. for a beginner a guidance by a mentor is very important.
2. Go with low expectations and surprise yourself instead
3. Don't invest a lot, grow slowly

I am attaching some pictures. You guys can help identify the fish. Also i am attaching the jig picture on which these were caught.
Suggestions are welcome. NEED MENTORS desperately.

BTW you anglers are awesome. Hopefully someday i'll be able to catch something as big as you guys catch.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice report, Navodit, on your first trip to Goa.

Casting can be frustrating but one has to put in the hard yards and the rewards will come. It is good that you had to try all types of lures, this is valuable practice under real conditions which will help you in the future.

Rock fishing is very dangerous, you will need nonslip shoes and a life jacket if you continue this type of fishing. Countless people have lost their lives fishing from the rocks. Never go alone. Carry a flashlight and a phone with you at all times.

Try trolling when you hire a boat, although you will need a shorter, stouter rod for that. This can be very
productive and generally the fish caught are large sized. Again, always wear a life jacket when in a boat.

The fish you caught seem to be small Trevally, hope you released them to grow bigger.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:02 pm 

Thank you kingfish.
I had tried trolling but nothing hit. I had prepared very well. Had the head torch and good non-slip surfing shoes but still was afraid of taking risks on the rocks.
Life jacket is some thing i can definitely add to my artillery.

Fishes were released because i thought they looked like baby GTs but wasn't sure about it. The boat people wanted to keep some though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:09 am 

Nice report, Navodit on your agonda trip . i have been there a few times and i think u were at the right spot on the rocks ., the bite gets hot as the sun sets ...there is a huge rock in front of the flat rock u were fishing from ...its connected by smaller rocks forming a bridge to the big rock that is furthest out .....its a low tide spot as the water drops u can cross over easy ... sunset and sunrise are good times however lowtide period must coincide for you to acess this place ( you have to pack up and be back to the flat rock before tide rises ) .... be aware this is the back part of leapord valley .... after sunset if alone ... be cautious!!
u have done everything right , spend more time on the water and u will catch lots more ..... will be looking fwd to more pics and trip reports from you.Tight lines for your next session!
ps : ask around for sunset-point ...there is a path to the left from sunset point .... explore and see if you stumble across more fishy ledges ....google earth will help you lots .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:21 pm 

Thank you so much websinner.
Yeah, there was a big rock but with backpack and rod it was a little difficult to climb up. But your suggestions on the timing is a big help. And i definitely wish now that i should have had someone with me.Exploring alone just raises a lot of risk factors.
These are good inputs and this is exactly what i needed from this forum.
Thanks Again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice to see you catching fish on your first saltwater trip. Those fishes were black tip trevally, they grow around 10 kg in size. But personally i have seen them in sizes what you got.
Those fishes were generally found near the edge of the waves and can be easily got from the surf if you are using a sabiki or small baited hooks. It is fun to catch them with a ultra light setup.
I have seen them thrown out of the waves and getting landed in sandy beach lot of times.

Rock fishing can be extremely dangerous. The best thing to do is take someone along with you and even then extreme care should be taken as a simple slip can result in fractured bones and much worse. As websinner pointed out remember the tide when you cross over to a rock and do not get water locked. When ever in doubt better not to go there as it is not worth risking your life. I have lost lot of fishes just because it is little risky to go down to the edge of water and get the fish.

Enjoy saltwater fishing, I would say it is more fun than fresh water fishing.

Regards,
Venkatesan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:44 pm 
Enlightened

Awesome trip report,
Enjoyed every step of your trip.
As you said the excitement of hit by fish in imagination before reaching fishing spot gets dull when nothing hits even cast after cast. I've collected many lures spoons and jigs, but only three of mj's are caught. Recently I've visited near by spots for many day, but returned without any hit, tens of spots are surrounding me, but...
As senior anglers advised, alone for trip is not a good idea,
Thanx for sharing fish n jig images.
Waiting for more out comes.
Have fun in fishing.
Tight lines.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:50 am 
Fishaholic

@Navodit, welcome to the club and nice post! Looks like you enjoyed it!

As a recent entrant into the saltwater surf fishing myself, I would say patience and persistence is the key. Looks like you're doing the right thing. Great choice with the Okuma Nomad rod and the Penn B2 reel, I have the exact same setup. I loved the rod so much so that I bought a 9' and a matching Daiwa BG, and a 10' heavy setup.

Get a light tackle, 7' (1/2-3/4 oz) and a matching reel. It will help you when you don't find the big fish but the small ones are biting. If possible carry a backup rod as well. Been bitten once and shy since then. Okuma has a great replacement warranty for just $50 and you get a brand new rod!

Learn to tie the FG Knot well....... really really well, it's necessary if you're using braid, which is kind of preferred if you'd like to get distance out of your casts. It'll be frustrating in the beginning, but trust me, once you get the hang of it there's nothing like it. Learn to tie it with wind in your face, your back and everywhere in between. Helps you master it under the most extreme conditions.

One tip I'd like you to have is to never give up. There will be times when you question the rig up, the line, the leader, type of lure, it's color, and or even retrieve. Let it not bother you, be tactical in your approach and you'll find them fish. Learn from the old timers, they're are a treasure trove of information. Always if possible practice catch and release.

Tight lines and cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:49 pm 

Thank you so much guys.. all these tips are helpful. Fishing buds are hard to find, specially if you're living in Delhi but yeah this forum can sort out that problem.
Buying lures and tackle stuff is an addiction. I am looking for a lighter rod and reel, that can be my second setup for these kind of trips.