->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:43 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Some Crabbing Pictures
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi All,

I had gone to my parent's place this summer, the fishing was slow so decided to go catching Mud Crabs.
The Crabbing session was quite productive.

The technique we use is:
1. Tie some fish spares/heads to a rope and tie the rope to a pole.
2. cast near by and anchor the pole.
3. when the rope looks taut, slightly lift without spooking the crab that might be latched on to the bait.
4. slide the dip net underneath and lift.
5. The crab gets spooked and drops right into the net.

Some pics.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:40 am 
Fishaholic

so many crabs :) looks a like a fun time.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:04 pm 
Fishaholic

You have caught a good amount of crabs. In West coast I have seen kids throwing a loose ball made of discarded net with bait inside and catching good sized crabs in sea.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Good sized crabs there! Sounds like a lot of fun....

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:21 am 
Fishaholic

Brings back memories! Crabbing is great fun.....

We used to lasso them around the claws, the rig consisted of old umbrella spokes, where we used to use a stiff mono tied at one end into a lasso. Another spoke had some bait tied to it on a very short string, mostly shark skin or some dry fish (Bombay duck most of the time). We used to use find holes in the rocks or plants and dangle the bait slightly into the hole so that the crab would catch the scent and come for it. The trick was lassoing its claw when it went for your bait....was great fun.

My brother who did not have the patience to indulge in this fine art, used to lure the crab out and just make a grab with his other hand....fun days :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:21 am 
Fishaholic

h_venkatesan wrote:
You have caught a good amount of crabs. In West coast I have seen kids throwing a loose ball made of discarded net with bait inside and catching good sized crabs in sea.

I have never seen this technique in my part on the West Coast. Sounds interesting.
Did they catch the crabs from the beach? Also was it any time during the monsoon as I assume the Sea crabs come ashore only during the rains.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:24 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Brings back memories! Crabbing is great fun.....

We used to lasso them around the claws, the rig consisted of old umbrella spokes, where we used to use a stiff mono tied at one end into a lasso. Another spoke had some bait tied to it on a very short string, mostly shark skin or some dry fish (Bombay duck most of the time). We used to use find holes in the rocks or plants and dangle the bait slightly into the hole so that the crab would catch the scent and come for it. The trick was lassoing its claw when it went for your bait....was great fun.

My brother who did not have the patience to indulge in this fine art, used to lure the crab out and just make a grab with his other hand....fun days :lol: :lol:

Thanks Bobby for sharing the fine technique. I have seen similar style used here along the outskirts of Pune during monsoon for Rock Crabs.
But instead of bait, the people use a long grass blade. I am not sure how the grass lures the crab out, but it really works.
I might have some pictures of the catches. Will dig and post here when I have time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:52 am 
Fishaholic

That's pretty good harvest, they are good eating !! I would love to try crabbing sometime.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:36 am 
Fishaholic

We used this technique on both Fresh and Saltwater Crabs, we used to take freshwater crabs in the rice fields, even in Bandra where the Rizvi Colonies are now, those lands were old family properties that my Dads Cousin used to own/take care of. Some guys used earth worms to catch fresh water crabs, i never tried that.

We also used to catch large frogs in those rice paddies in Bandra, some of my friends loved those large frog legs, yummy. I like them too, those frogs were massive, the legs were as large as those of a small to medium sized broiler chicken.