->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:49 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:10 pm 

Here are some pics of a mix of species caught over last few weeks ...uploading the most kosher ones .all the fish wre caught on soft plastic baits , 30 lbs mainline ( braid) with a 50 lbs (mono) leader was used .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:33 pm 
Fishaholic

@websinner

Very nice mix ... the Mangrove Jack pictures are very good.

In Australia, that fish with the elongated set of teeth is called Long Tom.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:47 pm 

@kingfish glad you like the jacks ...they have been getting bigger as the monsoon comes closer ... got a few mixed opinions about the name of longish fish ..... it had a lot of bones and a very different taste ...never seen anything like it on a soft bait lure till now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:30 pm 
Enlightened

Excellent buddy.
Keep it up,
My elbow joint is paining, even though there is no catch.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:23 pm 
Fishaholic

That fish with the pointed snout is called a Longtom or a Toothed Garfish, they take lures readily. They often take off when hooked making spectular leaps from the water. I was once fishing in Phuket and in the shallows saw this longtom hunting it was swimming around in very shallow water and moving between rocks from crevice to crevice looking for smaller fish to catch, it was very methodical, I tried casting my lure at it would cold not land it correctly owing to the number of rocks and corrals that were jutting out of the shallow water, there was no way to make a proper retrieve.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice pics. Thank you for sharing!

I want to hot the west coast once before the monsoon arrives. Let's see....

Cheers!
Maruthu

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice mixed fishes on the soft plastics. Soft plastics have become the most versatile lure of all...
What reel is that in the mangrove jack pic. I have never seen that with you..

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:19 am 

@ h_venkatesan
sorry for the late reply , the reel in the pic is a kastking sharky 2 - 6000 series reel , its loaded with 50 lbs braid and paired with a 60 lbs mono leader , matched with a 10-60 grms casting rod i am currently using this as my heavy gear setup

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:47 am 
Fishaholic

@websinner

Your views on the Kastking reel, performance wise?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:41 am 

@kingfish
so far so good , i am very happy with the sharky-6000 , its a lightweight reel and it has a smooth and linear drag , have used this reel for over a year now and its held up really well , no complaints at all so far . I have managed to land quiet a few bigger fish with this reel and really happy with the perfomance , so far the water proof seals have held up great , i usually rinse my reels in freshwater after every session. my catana 4000 recently bit the dust planning to get bg4500 (daiwa) non-JDM model to run my 30 lbs line
((ps: yes the sharky-6000 is made in china , was not my first choice but was running my 50 lbs line on a daiwa bg-60 ( old model) since its heavy to cast for a prolonged period got the sharky to give it a try....lighter and cheaper!!!! ))

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:50 am 

@ bobby
thanks for clearing up the name of the pointy fish .... recently got back from a fishing trip where i tried to target the longtoms with a variety of small lures ...no luck at all ... even jerry-rigged a frayed rope into a lure in hopes of snagging a long tom...no luck ! speaking to the locals who fish the west coast i was told dec-march is the time for targeting the long toms .... they are called "TONDKYA" in kokani from where i fish from.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:57 am 

@ Maruthu
Another month before the rains , hit the coast asap ...... the water is churning up and starting to get choppy , wind is also picking up.... just got back from a small trip .
ps : fish are biting

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:54 am 
Fishaholic

BG 4500 is a good choice.
Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:47 pm 
Fishaholic

websinner wrote:
@ Maruthu
Another month before the rains , hit the coast asap ...... the water is churning up and starting to get choppy , wind is also picking up.... just got back from a small trip .
ps : fish are biting

Was planning to hit the west coast back to back the next two weeks, but something came up.... :(
Will try to make it at least once. Otherwise I'll have to wait till July and explore/fish some new places on the east coast....

Cheers,
Maruthu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:22 am 
Fishaholic

websinner,
Nice I see you have caught all the common target game fish in the West Coast except the grouper.
Good job !!