[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
trout magnet - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:06 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: trout magnet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Trout magnet is one of the under-rated soft plastics for fishing small streams and ponds.
These are by no means big fish lure, and I am not much into large mouth bass fishing, so when I am not fishing the ocean or for trout, I just want to catch anything that bites.
I am not particularly targeting any fish here and it ends up being lot of action packed trips.
I could reach most of these spots in 15 minutes from my place, so I can just go and make some casts any evening.
If there is one lure I could fish in streams that would be a trout magnet. Its very easy to work, just cast, and reel slowly and add a twitch in between a few cranks. Sometimes I attach a very small split shot to gain some distance.
The sunfish hit them hard, and they get hooked immediately and very less lost fish.
For about 2.00$ a pack, these are great. The jig head that comes with it is 1/64 oz so about 0.45 grams.
You need a light rod to get its best action so a 6 feet ultra light St croix premier with line rating 2-6lb works for me. I use a Shimano size 1000 reel and 4lb test line.

White and red are my favourite colors, but all of them catch but White is particularly good though. Some days I catch 30 -50 fish in a trip and that's the fun of fishing ultra light lures.

All these fish were released after a picture.

There are Bluegill, Red breast Sunfish, Green Sunfish, Rock Bass, Small mouth bass, Pumpkinseed, Large mouth bass and some chub in these pictures !

The carp was not caught on a trout magnet, but I just thought I would add to this post.

Post subject: Re: trout magnet
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Pictures

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Some more pictures

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:47 pm 
Fishaholic

The small catfish took the trout magnet too

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Some more pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:40 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Binu,

Really colourful pictures to brighten the day..... you are lucky to have such fishing so close to your home!

I have heard of the Trout Magnet lures and seen some videos on You Tube but to have a member of this
Forum prove their effectiveness is the best endorsement.

Unfortunately, this lure is not available in Australia or New Zealand. I will order some from the US and be
able to try them whenever international travel is allowed again.

If you catch any Trout on these lures, be sure to put up their pictures for us.

Tight lines,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank you @kingfish.
Yes, I catch a lot of trout with the trout magnet. I will lookup and get some pictures.
I hope you get these sometime and try it in Australian waters !

Regards
Binu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Awesome pics and thank you for sharing Binu :-)

I am yet to put them to test in the waters here. May be once the water clears up, I'll get my ultra light to cast these in the fresh and in salt.

Cheers!
Maruthu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:48 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Maruthu !
In Chennai around those small lakes it should work great for Tilapia, Pearl Spot, small snakehead, Climbing perch and knifefish(Chitala) .
I have also caught Flowerhorn, and all the fish I mentioned in one of the lakes close to Kolathur. Not using trout magnet, but regular earthworms, it was about 12 years ago though :roll: so I would'nt be surprised if those lakes are extinct now.

Regards
Binu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:57 am 
Fishaholic

Found the Trout Magnet locally and placed a small order .... should be with me in 7-10 days.

I can only try them out on local saltwater estuaries, so I hope to target bream and small flathead using these lures.

Will keep you posted.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:08 am 
Fishaholic

Nice Pictures Binu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:47 pm 
Fishaholic

That's great @kingfish. I hope that it works good in your waters!

Thank you @Bobby

Last edited by binu on Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:48 am 
Fishaholic

Wow Binu, nice colorful pictures.. Nice to see your daughter joining with you for fishing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:30 pm 
Fishaholic

@Binu, that's some number of species. I'll check out that spot in Chennai when I get to go there sometime.

@Kingfish, that should be interesting to see what you catch with trout magnets in Australia

Cheers,
Maruthu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank you Venkat .
I got to fish for 45 minutes yesterday evening, and since I had this thread started I thought of taking some pictures.
I was looking for a spot in the creek I usually fish and found a nice calm pool below some rapids. I attached a trout magnet and did not change it. There might have been larger bass though but I was just enjoying catching these smaller fish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Some pictures from yesterday's trip.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:47 am 
Fishaholic

Beautiful pics and thank you for sharing! Keep them coming....

Cheers,
Maruthu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Maruthu !
I went again yesterday evening and caught the usual. I know it gets boring at this point, so I tied a yo-zuri pin minnow and a nice Small mouth bass takes it.

Last edited by binu on Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:05 pm 
Fishaholic

I release the bass, and turn and see this large snake in the rocks. I jumped two rocks to the left, I think its a northern water snake and it is non-venomous.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:46 pm 
Fishaholic

@ Binu

I think the smallmouth bass is one of the prettiest fish ..... and gives a good, sporting fight.

Well spotted the snake, they tend to hang around the rock piles to soak up the sun. Pays to be careful especially with a child, because you do have some poisonous species in the States.

What model is the Shimano 1000 reel?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:58 am 
Fishaholic

What kind of snake is that?

kingfish - I have caught only about 3 Bass, but I think that Bass is an overrated fish, I think it is popular because it jumps when hooked and an entire industry built around it. Like so many things American, it is promoted and milked and milked.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby, I'd say that's true with large mouth bass, but the small mouth bass fishing is still not as big as the large mouth bass industry. SMB gives a much better fight than a large mouth bass though. Here's a good video of small mouth bass on whopper ploppers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1EkJANfoL4&t=321s

Cheers,
maruthu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:45 pm 
Fishaholic

@Kingfish I have a Shimano Stradic ci4 1000 which I use mainly for trout.
I also have a Shimano Nexave 1000 which I use mostly these days and it stays in my car so when I am out driving or shopping I could go make a few casts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:49 pm 
Fishaholic

@Bobby
I confirmed with an expert, the snake is a Northern Water Snake and it is non-venomous. There is also a Cottonmouth which is a venomous snake and lives in very similar habitat and looks similar. The Cottonmouth is quite rare though.

I agree with Maruthu about Bass fishing. Small mouth bass are a lot of fun to catch, and inhabit fast flowing waters and put a good fight on a light to medium rod.