->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:47 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a brief tutorial on how to resize photos for your forum posts. This does not require fancy editing software nor any special talent. This is the simplest way that I know to do this and I hope it helps.

In general a 640x480 (Small) picture will not require horizontal scrolling. This is the maximum size recommended for posts. Here is a hint, if you can make your photos vertical rather than horizontal you will have fewer problems.

There is a free program offered directly from Microsoft's website. If you go to Microsoft Power Toys there is a add-in program fifth from the bottom on the right side of the page called "Image Resizer". That is the one you want. Download, install, and proceed to the next part. (Note: The easiest way to do this is click on the link ImageResizer.exe and when the dialog box opens select Open rather than Save.)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... rtoys.mspx

Open the directory where you have your photos for example "My Pictures." If you see the Details View like below, you will need to change to Thumbnail View by right clicking on an empty part of the window and selecting Thumbnails.

After you do this you will see thumbnails like those shown below. Right click on any photo and choose Resize Pictures. (Note: Notice that Rotate Clockwise and Rotate Counter Clockwise are listed here. You can easily rotate your photo using these.)

You will have this dialog box pop up:

By choosing Small option and clicking OK the computer will automatically duplicate your photo but at the smaller size. It will not change the size of the original. (Note: If you want it to permanently change your photo size, that option is under the Advanced menu.) The new photo will have the same file name as the original with (Small) added to it. It is this file that you can upload to your photo sharing site like ImageShack.

That's about it. If you have any questions or suggestions let me know.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:18 am 
Fishaholic

When I see the pictures that I posted on the forum I see that despict the Kb used they are the same size in diamentions of length and breath.I have down loaded the image resized.exe. In the image shack I tried to resize but only got the Kb bigger. When I resize the same photo in my thumbnails in to small, lager and medium large they all seem to be the same.Which is the correct size to post on the forum? Any help will be usefully used.
Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Hi Michael

Paragraph two in the post above clearly mentions the largest usable size on the forum ie. resolution of 640x480

This means that the picture should not be wider than 640 pixels and taller than 480 pixels. The size of an image can be seen by checking it's properties. The Kb size that your are referring to is the size of the memory space the picture is using not it's dimensions. There is no restriction on Kb size on the forum only dimensions have to be adhered to.

Cheers
IA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:23 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the help, also saw your note on the image gallery to my post on Bhavani Sagar, will continue to do what I was doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Is there any way to avoid the text that now seems to be appearing at the side of images hosted on Imageshack ? This text makes the image to wide for the screen and means hat people have to scrol to read text.

BTW. To resize photo's, I just hotmail the images to myself. Hotmail automaticaly resizes them to a size suitable for forum posts.