->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:35 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:50 am 
Fishaholic

Sorry guys for the delay in 4th part as I got some urgent business ;)
Now let me continue....

When we got the glimpses of the fish, it was a very fine and well shaped mahseer and when it was near to get out of water the mighty little mahseer was not giving up, fighting bravely, running into the rocks and shaking strongly, displaying its true mighty power at such a young age :shock:. I was on verge of losing this beautiful Mahseer but thanks to Shadab bhai(who himself have the experience in Mahseer fishing and have landed few mahseers of 3lbs-10lbs ranges from kaveri) who directed me to go there then there then here, turn mahseer into this direction that direction etc. and finally we successfully landed the mahseer on the landing net.

Here is Shadab bhai and his Deccan mahseer(Tor Khudree) from kaveri

After we landed it, I and Shadab bhai took a nice big hi5 shot and to our surprise this brave little mahseer in net was still struggling and fighting the same way as it was in the water. Not able to give up, still struggling and shaking the net.

Then we took the net few feet away from water, I reeled the line properly, went to shadab bhai who was trying to calm the fish. After Mahseer calmed down we were greeted with another surprise that this manseer was not hooked in the lip but was foul hooked itself on the outside,as I said earlier, I neither given a jerk nor pulled the rod. Thank God, my tiny little hook made its best effort to ensure that the Mahseer doesn't get maximum damage as well as it ensured that mahseer doesn't escape from it either. It was well hooked an inch below right eye. We don't know how it got hooked outside, the only factor that I think is the irritating swimmer factor :lol: :lol:

We Unhooked it, I checked the watch and the time was 1:39pm and I grabbed my mobile to take the first ever snap of my Mahseer :lol:

Shadab bhai trying to calm My beautiful mahseer

Notice the line below the eye where it got hooked.

Now is my turn where I was eagerly waiting to touch my first fish and to pose with it in the best way, the first thing is how to hold the fish since this mahseer is shaking continuously and it getting hard to hold it in both hands to pose, so both Shadab bhai and Basharath convinced me to hold the fish by turning finger under the gill and keep it upside down, I tried my best not to damage and hurt the gill of mahseer by carefully watching the gill and turning the finger safely under gill.

By the time I took complete hold of the fish and the rod, I had given my mobile to Basharath to take the snap but somewhat he could not click the pics so Shadab bhai took the mobile and requested basharath to take out his blackbery to take the snap as well, Shadab bhai was trying to take the snap from one direction and Basharath from other direction, I was posing towards where Shadab bhai is standing but somewhat Shadab bhai too was unable to take the snap then Basharath comes near Shadab bhai to take the precious snap and Basharath did a damn good job by taking the pic in a nostalgic fashion :D. Thank you Basharath bhai I love you so much for these precious snaps :P

Then later I come to know that my mobile was locked for being idle for few seconds and it was good that I had not shared them my password :lol:

to be continued...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:02 am 
Fishaholic

arish.. .. please dont hold the fish like that .. with your fingers in its gills.. you wont be able to release it.. i suppose you didnt .. please do so next time .. its a mahseer after all..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Daryl trust me, as I said that I carefully watched and put my finger under the gill and I did my best to lift the fish like that and it was removed only after few seconds of snapping. Mahseer was perfectly fit for release, I will share a video where you can see how fit the mahseer was after the snapping moments, I and Shadab bhai were in favor of releasing it but some misunderstanding between us led to release fish into the pan :( . You will see good news soon :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:01 pm 
Enlightened

Congrats Arish.... wonderful post..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:39 am 
Fishaholic

Thank You Sagar :-)

Let me continue...

After the kodak moments we immediately kept my beloved mahseer in the keeping net and let it stay peacefully in the water...

Then we went to our respective spots, I checked and rechecked my line in order to make sure that my line is perfect from any damage so that I should not miss my second chance, then checked my hook and setup properly, and I found out that the knot at the hook got loosened :shock: Thanks God I landed the fish as early as possible or else mahseer would have gone with the tiny hook in its cheek. Fixed the knot on the hook properly and started to cast. Before casting I noticed Shadab bhai was also trying to copy my floater setup ;)

We kept casting and missed some hookups, after half hour I stood up, reeled back my line, went to offer afternoon prayer, then took 5mins break and was pondering over my first catch ;) then started another fresh round of casting, Basharath wanted to try his luck on some other spot and went near the dam gates away from my left, later Shadab bhai also decided to go to some other spot to try his luck, he went few meter away from my right, but I remained at my spot feeling confident of another hookup, sat on the same spot where I got my first fish. Sitting and watching over my floater patiently waiting for fish to bite.

Now turns the funny incidents at the new spot of shadab bhai, it was the same spot where the irritating swimmer started to jump, there were no one at that spot and shadab bhai was fishing all in peace, suddenly in few mins two or three men come near him and were creating noise, unclothing themselves in swim suit for swimming few feets away from his right, but shadab bhai was as calm as he was before, few more mins later the family of those men such as children and wives appeared in no time and there were more noises from them. By now Basharath returned from the dam gates, offered his afternoon prayer.

Then I looked towards shadab bhai and in few more mins, they(families) started undressing their children and one of the lady started cleaning cloths on the nearest right to shadab bhai. He got little disturbed, but still fishing peacefully. Basharath finished his prayer and started casting few feets away from my left. The Incident at Shadab Bhai's place turn more funny when the lady who was cleaning cloths started creating lots of disturbance in the water as well as noises, now shadab bhai got fully disturbed, stared at them in disappointment and in few mins return to my spot. :lol: :lol:

Shadab bhai was preparing to offer his afternoon prayer, I and Basharath looked at each other, and Basharath jokingly told me to release my fish, I also jokingly said yes Im going to release the fish. Then Shadab bhai over heard us and asked what jokes are we playing then Bahsarath narrated to him our chatting episode " when we were new to each other and one day we were chatting, arish was talking so much of catch & release , I(Basharath) explained to him(me) that not a single angler I had seen have ever released a fish in Hyderabad and no one can ever gonna do it, then arish promised me that I will see him(me) releasing the fish" 8)

The reason I remained silent in releasing the mahseer is because I have no reason to use force against both Shadab bhai and Basharath to release the fish and though that they want it as well as some other factors bugged my mind(this place is regularly netted by fishermen and they can in no time take all the fish away, other angler will hook it and take it away etc.). On the other hand Shadab bhai was not forcing me to release the fish even though he too was in favor of releasing the mahseer because since it was my first fish, that how the misunderstanging between me and shadab bhai led to release the mahseer into the pan :(

We kept casting, casting missing some hookups and the time for late afternoon prayer come, first Basharath completed his prayer, later me completed mine and then Shadab bhai completed his, after some time later, Basharath got his first successful hookup of the day, it too was a nice young mahseer, called out at Shadab bhai and Shadab bhai in turn called me, I and shadab bhai reeled back our lines, Shadab bhai went to retrieve the landing net and I went on to witness the event, then I grabbed my camera and started to record the video of Basharath bhai playing with his mahseer, it lasted for only few seconds. After Shadab bhai landed the fish on the landing net basharath went on to open the keeping net where my mahseer was lying in it for more than 4hrs, Shadab bhai removed the hook from the lips of mahseer and kept it into the keeping net. Basharath wanted to compare whose mahseer is big and bought out the net to see them, mine mahseer was two times bigger than his and i started jokingly calling at Basharath that mine is big yup! :twisted:

here is the link to video
http://youtu.be/yO6aFeo5G5M

[Daryl see how my mahseer which I lifted with finger under the gill was still perfectly fit to release even after 4hrs - I hope you can Understand me now :)]

Time was running and it was getting dark soon, I and shadab bhai started casting at the exact same spot where Basharath hooked his Mahseer and was disparately waiting to hook another fish ,10 mins later the luck is in favor of Bahsarath again who hooked another small fish and it was a common carp. I kept casting desperately to hook another one but it gotten more darker and I can't be able to spot my floater.

Finally we closed the day and started packing, returned to the car and before we started driving we offered sunset prayer in group where Basharat led us in lead. Thus ended the memorable day of my first catch at Manjeera.... The day I will remember forever....

To be continues last part remaining ... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi guys the last part is here, been busy again ... :P

let continue...

We returned home by 8pm, and I was about to leave for my home, both Shadab bhai and Basharath handed me all the three fish and told me to have it for myself. I was not in mood to take the fish for I have been in favor of releasing but I can't use a words against them. So I accepted them and took fish to my home.

When I returned home with the fish, my mom appreciated me for the first time on my fishing trip. She used to ridicule me for returning home empty handed all the times earlier :lol:

Me :"Mom I caught my first fish"

Mom : "Good" and suddenly she got hooked to the saas bahu series on tv :?

Me : "Mom this is mahseer"

Mom : She checked the fish inside the bag and said "hmmm good but very small"

Me : "Mom this is the greatest game fish of India, people from across the world travels to India to fish for Mahseer"

Mom : "hmmm exciting but yours is very small not much exciting"

Me : "Oh mom this is my first fish"

Mom : "very small not much worth"

Me : "Hey mom this it the most valuable fish of India even costlier than murrel"

Mom : "not interesting"

then I paused for a while looked at her with a sweet smile and said

" Mom this is my first fish " in a sweet voice and smiled even more sweetly at her

now I manage to attract her attention, she turned to me appreciated me and said "Well Done" :P

and suddenly turned to Television again :shock:

It would have been much better if I would have released the fish back into water thus I might have pleased the Almighty for showing mercy to His creatures... rather than pleasing my mom which didn't make any sense to her :?

I later took last moment snaps of the fishes before preparing to cut them. This snap helped me identify the fish properly. After cutting them , I prepare the ingredients and marinate it. Finally fried them and we ate it together. ;)

The small fish is easy to cut and easy to cook but it is more difficult to eat, so much tiny bones under it...

first: 200gm common carp[telescope eyed]
second: 400gm Mahseer
third: 900gm(2lbs) Mahseer

Before I come to close the story, this last part I appreciate and thanks to all the anglers who have been helping, encouraging and sharing their experience to me on this beautiful sport.

My first, foremost and special thank to my uncle who have introduced me into serious angling, taken me into many angling places, introduced me to some of his angling friends, showed me the art of angling and the proper way to use it, corrected many of my mistakes took the burden of training me and sacrificing his time for me. There are still many things which I can't be able to describe myself for him but I must say that he is one among the best anglers of Hyderabad who has the gift of great patience and talents.

Shadab bhai and Basharat both are more than angling friends, they have been encouraging companions, helping hands and it is in their presence I hooked my first fish and they both were around cheering me over my first catch.

Salim bhai is well known for his honesty and open mindedness always open to sharing the angling tips and tricks. It is because of him as well that this mahseer I hooked. The Idea of using atta bait for mahseer was given by him, one day both Salim bhai and Basharath went fishing together to manjeera, Basharath was nearly in losing hope of catching a fish at manjeera and it was Salim bhai who recharged his angling spirit by proving him that manjeera also have a mahseer when no one ever believed earlier. Salim bhai took him to one of the loneliest place asked him if he have any small hooks. Basharath give him one of his small hook and salim bhai made a paste of atta, attached it on hook and casted. Within no time Salimi bhai hooked a mahseer and Basharath was awestruck by the sheer force of power this mahseer dragged the line. Basharath himself didnot believed that it is a mahseer, Salim bhai kept telling this is mahseer, then next day Basharath told me about the mahseer caught by Salim bhai and said he think it is mirgal may be, I was surprised to hear the name Mahseer in Hyderabad. I immediately told him to show me the pic and to my surprise I was pleased to see Mahseer in Hyderabad. And explained to him the difference between a mahseer and a mirgal. Then I took into fishing at manjeera seriously and went to manjeera at any cost. So the credit of this mahseer goes to Salim bhai whose personal best mahseer at manjeera is 4kg.

My journey towards hooking this first fish is not an easy one, it been a hard,long and tedious journey full of fun, excitement, enjoyment and learning.

I also want to appreciate and thanks to Bobby, Ali bhai, Sayed bhai(Lion Heart), Dr. Aamir Bhavnagri, Ravi, Desmond Lobo(Teritex), Manish(manishhgin) and many more for their encouragement and guidelines when I was new to the forum to which I took their words patiently and learned well from them :P

Not to forget many anglers I come across after them and some of them are : Owen Bosen, Jeen, Kingfish, Gavin Ridge Cook, Santosh, Dr. Prasad, Sailendra, Omesh, Sagar mane, Sandeep(pune), Hamour(Daryl), Sandip ghos(Mumbai), Whitesnapper(Junaid), Humaid, Bobbychyma, IndianGypsy, Mohit Mahajan, mahseerken, tathagata, spoonangler, hookclaw, luqman bhai(mdluqman) etc etc etc....

Thus ended the glorious chapter of my first catch ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Very nice catches Arish...Heartly Congrats to you - This is something you should be really feeling proud...

All the best for your future catches...

Thanks,
Sandip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Sandip :P

Yes Im :D