->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:26 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice one Suraj. See that you have a good set up. The rod and reel look well balanced.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:01 pm 

Thanks Raka & Apoo, I reflect your sentiments. Its raining cats and dogs here from last night and the river's already in spate.

Thanks Jeen! I learnt a lot after that enlightening morning out with you, especially how inappropriate my tackle was - post using yours. So I ran to Biju and he hooked me up with the Ugly stick and Sweepfire reel, very balanced and accurate.

Suraj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Suraj.. Nice write up and photos.

I liked the first one a lot:)) (holding rod & reel in mouth and fish in hand)

Thanks for sharing ..keep fishing

Regards,
Vinod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Suraj,

Nice writeup buddy, enjoyed it :))

Congrats on the Murrels caught.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:17 pm 
Fishaholic

once again.. good post .. good ethics.. hats off to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Good going Suraj, well done once again. Love the way you describe your catches...

By the way, are you on facebook..

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject: hii suraj
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:28 pm 
Enlightened

nice i love to catch murreell familyyy..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:33 pm 

Need moar pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:15 pm 
Fishaholic

congrats suraj for some very nice catches ...........your catches are inspiring and ur write ups very intresting.

may u catch many more :-) :-)

all the very best
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats, wonderful write ups and good pictures

Post subject: barals
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:38 pm 
Enlightened

hi suraj

congrats on making history and with good documentation, great writeup, keep it up and keep posting, really is great to know our rivers are not dying yet

And raka, as to your query about kadal barals, they are the lizardfish , Synodontidae, sometimes seen in large numbers in the cochin markets, have caught them here in Oman once, take whole fish bait like full sardines even occasionally

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:38 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks vincent... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:33 am 

Hi,
This is Jayadevan from Kochi (Cherai), am a web developer. I have gone through your complete post from last year and it was fantastic you are a great angler beeing in to fishing for the last 20 years but still am catching small ones this year i got one big catch from cherai beach as i live there its easy to get there.

Throughout these years i have heard of so many great anglers through indianangler and i found you and feel very passionate abut your angling journey thanks for the lovely and well written trip reports.

I never had a chance to fish in freshwater lakes and rivers i think in your area there is much hope and exists a god amount of fish stock in those waters.

this is sunday and we have planned a fishing trip to estuary at munambam its 8.30 in the morning and its time to say bye to you and i have to get ready so bye for this time... see you ...

Jayadevan
Cherai, Kochi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:05 am 

Hi suraj are you still active in the forum??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:19 pm 

I don't know which one to appreciate as one of the the best to come across, your experience or the article :-). Well done Suraj, for both and wishing to see/read more such experiences from you.
-Pradeep

Last edited by pravenka on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:09 pm 

You lucky bro.. Check this photo out. Famous fishermen Jeremy Wade with one.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Suraj, wonderful feature. I like your writing style and the way you have explained is absolutely stunning. Suraj, I want to know more about your little green frog and hope you will share more about your little frog with more pictures. Waiting for your next .... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:54 pm 

Dear Suraj

Tracked this old trail . I am from Chennai and very new to angling , rather just a week old and just week tried out by new Chinese gear with some good Barramundi catch near Chenna i. My parents stay at Periyar North near Aluva and planning to be there for few days this week . So while searching the thread on some info about angling in Periyar apart from some great stuff from Jeen , came across your article and to my surprise the place you have a photo mentioned as a rivulet of periyar , that house in the background is where my parents stay????can you believe that and you are stating it has lot of Murrels . As a starter I only have few lures and hooks , but only today my friend in Chennai Dinesh suggested I take a rubber flog along for Murrels plus some higher size hooks . I won't get time to move around too much so since you have been to that location backside of periyar gardens on the bank of this rivulet , so lets me know what kind of lures/baits will work and apart from Murrel what else do you think I can hook on . I am trying to get some live lure like small fish / chicken intestine etc basis some other posts in the forum. Any other advice also would be grateful.

PM me your number and I will surely call in as well.

Regards

Vipin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:52 pm 

Hey everyone,
Thought that I would update you on my activities over the last couple of years.
Firstly, heavily into diplogramma conservation now.. Have spent quite a bit of money to setup a safe nursery for them over a stretch of river. Bordered by granite banks and planted a variety of lily plants/pads for safe haven. The Malabar snakehead actually make a floating nest by tearing up the vegetation off the floor and then having it float in a bunch on top of the brooding bright red fry for the initial few days after birth. Also advising and educating locals whoever I can..
Results are amazing.. Please see the pics below.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Surajgv on Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:51 pm 

Caught something like a green rabbitfish on a vacation to Kovalam beach. ID please

Went for a session of fishing last week on the flooded paddy fields off kottayam. This was while my wife was in hospital waiting to deliver my baby....fishing is a very stress busting activity for me. I feel that fishing is a great test of luck and catching and releasing fish are definitely luck level determination and bolstering activities.

There was murrel sign all over the place I could clearly see them rising for air.
Couple of casts in with the frog and one attacked my lure... Two seconds later when I set the hook it was off on a fast run ...And then danced on top of the water with just it's tail in the water.remember these are shallow paddy fields and there are shallow weeds as well...never seen them do long surface runs in deeper waters..these were long almost two seconds each out of the water.. Back and forth with the 4oclock sun at my back it's glistened vividly with its orange and brown colors... Very entertaining and causing a fantastic adrenalin rush in me... Murrels are fantastic on a top water lure!
But by the time it had finished its second run ...my hook was thrown...

I did not have to wait long before my phone rang and I was told my baby was coming...so I drove back to the hospital which was nearby.. We were blessed with a baby girl..

I was back the next day to catch some snakehead for the wife, it's excellent for just post delivery moms and post surgery for anyone as it's supposed to stem blood flow and heal wounds quickly, especially striata.
I cast a few times and even have one jump out of the water just missing the lure..the jump was at least 3 feet high .. spectacular Striata behavior.. They are the most aggressive behind lures, even if they can't seem fit them in their mouths..
I go to the same spot as last evening in the paddy fields and am on top of a small bridge looking for my casting opportunities when I see a bunch of orange fry bubbling up followed by a small grey striata barely 18cm long..but behind it came mommy more than twice its size...the small one should have been the male I think but the difference in size and coloring was startling. Mommy seemed to be brown 35+cm while the male seemed 15-18cm and grey in color.
Anyway after debating whether to break this family to feed my wife, I decided that a cast or two was not going to harm the fish..to my surprise even though I cast about 10 feet away from the fish I could see mommy and daddy head straight for the lure leaving the babies behind .. Next thing I know the smaller fish has u-turned and coming back to the brood while the bigger one goes and smashes my lure...flying out of the water for about a foot!! Setting the hook and Reeling it in was pretty easy after two very short runs, but bring it closer to land was where it really fought.. Especially in the weeds bordering the banks...twisting my line in the weeds. Thank god for braided lines though, as couple of quick tugs cut the weeds and brought the fish onto shore where it continues fighting and crawling back to the water just like a snake..

I had a couple of locals around me by now impressed by the catch after mocking me before, always happens- I quite enjoy their dumbfounded looks, they said that they were going to drain the paddy field in a day or so to farm and would have caught that fish too!

I was awed by the size of this striata, so we're the locals, haven't seen one this size closer to 40cms and definitely more than a Kilo! Very large for striata! Anyways called the wife that I had a catch for her, but she turned it down.. She did not feel like having fish!
Well, decision made! The Striata went back in the water after a couple of quick pics! It had thrown the hook while on the ground next to my rod when I tried to take a pic. Next was the Horror stricken look on the face of the locals for me throwing it back. The fish found its way back to its location from where I caught it, so I know it went back to its brood. Though it may be caught it the next few days or weeks when they drained the fields, I hoped that at least the fry would escape and be self sufficient.
I dropped my hands in the water to wash them off and am gathering my line while the crowd of four moves to a man standing with a stick and plastic bag few meters away. I am told he is the reigning snakehead catcher in the area.. He has a small murrel in his plastic bag and his palm frond rod has a few meters of line with a large hook with a carefully baited cockroach at the end.. The locals recount the events and I have to prove to him with my photos, grudging acknowledgement of the striatas size follows.. Saying that he can catch it next week :)

I am happy , thank them all and leave back to the hospital. Hope that fish finds luck too...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Surajgv on Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:37 am 

Three of the murrel caught over the last two years .... just dug up the pics.all caught and released...

Reposted some of the old pics in the previous posts of this blog too.. They seemed to have disappeared..

The fish I catch and take pictures of are 90% or more of the time live ones and ready to be released..
In the beginning of my fishing journey most if not all were for the pot as evidenced from my early pics. Strung using cord or bamboo as trophies and good eating.

Once I moved to lure fishing and have grown to appreciate the sport more.. Now I have more tackle in my car and home than I have fish that were caught ... I have pictures and memories of good times and of special times when my hobby/ stress busting activity has helped me. I can actually fish between work and cast a line with ten minutes to spare, more often catching nothing.

I keep adding to my salt water tackle collection and have had no luck over the vast stretches of kerala coastline or river mouths and estuaries. Not for the lack of trying.

I am I feel a better angler today..

Thank you to this forum! Hope to keep up the sporadic contributions.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Buddy,
Good to hear from you again. Nice write up as usual. Much respect for the conservation effort.

Jeen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:19 pm 
Fishaholic

oh yeah, that fish you caught is a spine foot/ rabbit fish. very tasty but has nasty sting.

jeen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:05 am 

Thanks for the comments Jeen and for the fish ID..
It is most likely the spine foot rabbit fish just like you said!
was pretty tasty after the hotel guys baked it...
It is the first sea fish I have caught.

Regards,
Suraj

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:54 am 
Fishaholic

Great write up Suraj. Was a wonderful read.
Also congrats on being a Father now.

Can you list down more on the conservation part, I mean the steps followed, area chosen, etc...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice report and pics! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:51 am 
Fishaholic

Very nice mate, careful when handling Rabbitfish...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice write up and photos. You have got beautiful snakeheads around your place.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:03 am 
Enlightened

Nice job Suraj and great catch. Kudos for the rare catch as well. Wish you many more of such great catch.

Cheers....