->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:33 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:04 pm 

Caught a 27Lb male King salmon/Chinook using flossing technique on a 10lb mono line...I used an Ugly stik GX2, 9 foot rod with a penn 6000 fierce reel..These salmon empty the reel in less than 30 seconds if drag is set too loose..Took me nearly 30 minutes to land this fellow..

Link for the image: https://imageshack.com/i/eyj1L1zHj

the fish swam into my line and the hooks turned into its mouth..I used a marshmallow on one hook and a cigarette butt on the other hook..Yes a cigarette butt !!
Some of the fish swim with their mouths open and they end up getting caught into the line..the main technique is not what you use on the hook as bait, but how the hooks are tied to (Snelling the hooks+ couple of twists of line on the hooks body to make the hooks rotate is a must) and the amount of weight tied at the end of the line (it should not be too heavy to break the line or too light to be drifted away by the current in the river)..a good amount of Line has to be in the water for fish to swim into it..
Some people call this method snagging and unhealthy fishing..!! A lot of people do this type of fishing in Canada and the USA and the police donot have any problem to it and never warned anyone..!!
It's an interesting type of fishing and can be used in the sea (kind of drop shot fishing minus the hooks rotation)..

That night caught 4 salmon all together..just posted one ..will post more once i learn how to post pictures in the messages than the link..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice sized salmon!

It reinforces the Rule of 3 that I had posted on the forum sometime ago!

That is, a given weight of line will be able to catch a fish weighing 3 times the line weight.

In your case, 10 lb line =27 lb fish (1:3 ratio almost).

Playing and landing a salmon after 30 minutes ... Good skills!

Kingfish

P.S.I know the problems with posting a picture in the messages !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:27 pm 
Fishaholic

rocky_moin

I hope you will not mind but you are a skilful angler..... why don't you catch fish with lures rather than items that,quite frankly,are a bit strange to most of us anglers ( cigarette butts and marshmallows) and a line with multiple hooks that a fish will run into?

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:52 am 

Kingfish,
That's how flossing technique works.This is usually done in streams..People use things like ear buds, cigarette butts, marshmallows or anything that floats and keeps the line up rather than sinking..When I first heard of this, i was surprised that such technique exists..
I know that is weird and never heard of..That's the reason I had to bring this technique to educate other fellow anglers about this technique as well..

From the shores salmon are caught using spoons( in the day little cleos are preferred a lot, at night glow in the dark spoons which glow to fluorescent orange,green,blue when a light is shone on them), Spinners (big sized -28 gm), Rapala Jointed Minnow J-13 (orange,green works the best), Yo-Zuri crystal Minnow (28Gm)..

In the river upstream salmon are caught using float method (by using salmon eggs or yarn) or by using a lure called as Kwikfish (one of the best lures for any predator fish)..I have caught even using tin or aluminium foil..hahaha..

I have caught barramundi, ribbon fish in Bay of bengal near my home town (nellore) using Aluminium foil 4 inches long. That thing glitters and makes a nice movement in the water when trolled or retrieved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:59 pm 
Fishaholic

rocky_moin

Ok, so that is "flossing" .I would personally use Powerbait .

I am familiar with all the lures you have mentioned and use quite a lot of them in Australia and New Zealand.

I also watch episodes of "Canadian Sportfishing" compered by that keen angler Italo Labignan and I picked up some valuable tips on salmon fishing from his exploits on the Niagara River.

Fascinating that you have caught barramundi in Bay of Bengal,any pictures?

Would like to see how you rigged the aluminium foil for trolling ,I might try it next time I go barra fishing here.

Kind regards,
Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:20 pm 

Kingfish

Italo Labignan, made a trip to India last year and posted some nice videos on fishing in Orissa,Himachal etc..He is a very informative fisherman..
There is plenty of barramundi in Bay of bengal..I dont have pictures of the ones i caught..But they call it Pandugappa in Telugu..A lot of anglers have posted pictures of barramundi caught in Chennai on this forum..

For the foil set up..You need your main line to pass thru an Egg sinker(1 to 2 ounce weight) to the swivel.Use a bead between the egg sinker and the swivel. Tie a long shank or aberdeen hooks to a leader line of 12 to 20 Inches if you are going to cast or troll. If you don't have long shank hooks, then any J hooks can be used.Dont use circle hooks. Use flurocarbon or mono or steel leader (depends on what you are fishing for). Fold, wrap the tin/aluminium foil and let it pass thru the hooks.Fold and secure the foil on the body of the hook .Dont crumble the foil too much so as to limit the movement.
Just keep the sharp end of the hook exposed.This way when the fish bite the tin foil, they get hooked.

You can snell one hook or two hooks on the leader. You can use one long foil or two small foil wraps on each hook, if you are going to use two hooks.
When casted and retrieved, these foil imitate small shiny minnows and fish chase them and attack them..The same during trolling..
Hope to see you catch some fish with that rig soon..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:54 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks.

I intend to use the foil setup to catch tailor(bluefish) ...I have lost several lures to them as they cut through the leader easily, on those occasions when I have not used a wire leader.

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:30 am 

Kingfish//
Here is how I wrap tin foil to catch Steelhead, Salmon..
https://imageshack.com/i/eySk0SBBj

https://imageshack.com/i/iqfm81AGj

That's like max 2 inch in length.For sea fishing, I used 4 inch and above and on two hooks. Snell two hooks one after the other on the leader..One hook should be close to the tail of the Tin foil.
If you want to troll then try this one :
Tie 1 to 8Oz of weight to your main line.Before you tie your weight to the main line, make a swivel pass thru the main line. Dont tie the swivel to the main line.On the other end/eye of the swivel tie a strong leader of your choice and tie this to the tin foil lure.You can tie the same rig with a three way swivel, however it will be fixed.

For sea fishing you need both flash and scent.Tin foil has plenty of flash.For scent try this: Take some cotton balls, roll them thin and fix them in the hook or in between the tin foil.Soak the wrap in anchovy oil or cod oil or any fish oil. This will give you amazing result and i am pretty confident of it.
I never used cotton balls but i did dip my tin foil in crushed salmon eggs and cod oil(for sea fishing) and I did get the results.
Try it and let me know how it went..!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:04 pm 
Fishaholic

@rocky_moin

Fantastic!

You are what we call a " Shupa Rustam" in Punjabi ... it is a compliment, by the way!

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:03 am 

Kingfish..

Thank you sir..

Hope to hear from you about your trial and catch.The shapes can be customized with the tin foil.You can cut the foil in a way that there is a long thin tail and it wriggles when retrieved.
You can take few shapes (pre-rigged) with you on the trip. I use a children noodle float that dollar stores sell to keep my tied up rigs. I am sure you must have seen them.
http://www.enjoy-swimming.com/image-fil ... oodles.jpg

These noodle floats are long and I cut the float into half and use them to carry my pre-tied rigs without any complication.Moreover they float even if it falls in water ;)

I did make some fishing floats, carp pop-ups with these noodle floats.

Also take some tuna oil, cod oil ,anchovy oil,mussel oil or clam oil (the oil that is in the tinned food) and soak some cotton or yarn to be tied onto the hooks..One of the most important thing is using hooks that are exposed out and NOT curved in (like circle hooks).