->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:46 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:19 pm 
Fishaholic

I have not spent much time on the forum lately but notice that things are quiet on Indian Angler these days. And recently another member expressed his disappointment because of the lack of trip reports....

So I thought we could all try and liven the forum up a little by each posting a fish that is particularly memorable for each of us. It could be your first fish, or your first catch and release or even your biggest fish. It doesn't matter if you have posted it before!! maybe also include a short account of how you came to catch the fish..and any other relevant details

I Hope anyone reading this will take ten minutes to add to this thread...

I'll start it off below..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:34 pm 
Fishaholic

I caught this peacock bass in Singapore a few years ago when I passed through the country on the way to South Africa. A friend, Nick who I know from back home lives in the city and is also keen on fishing so we planned a short trip. Not far from his flat is a series of water reservoirs surrounded by thick jungle and once we arrived it was actually difficult to imagine we were in the centre of Singapore! It was paradise..

The day was hot and the humidity soaked our clothes fast and later sapped our strength. But we continued to walk and look for fish. And eventually this beauty made a mistake and took my mepps spinner! After the snap we released the fish back into the warm water. We only caught this one but it was enough to make the trip was a success!

All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:44 pm 
Fishaholic

My Girlfriend Aurelie only took up serious angling a year ago but has had a few good catches since. One of her favourite catches is this super looking mangrove jack that took her lure on the Konkan coast. It took a bomber lure before dusk and immediately made a beeline for the underwater rocks and then quickly snagged the line.

The lure was Aurelie's favourite and the last thing she wanted was to lose the fish and the lure! so we took our time and waited for the fish to come free. Jacks will often swim behind a rock and place themselves flat against it and will only come free after some minutes when they think the threat has passed. However this one had other ideas so the only solution was for me to dive down and find the snagged line. I wouldn't recommend doing this because it can be dangerous but in the moment it was an impulse decision. It that paid off and really made the evening memorable. After the photo I released the fish as asked for by Aurelie! happy days!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:36 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Scott,

Way to go! This is a good initiative on your part.

I just need some advice on now to post large size pictures on the forum,since Imageshack only allows extremely small pictures to be
printed free these days.

If you post larger sizes then apparently you have to pay for it.

If this can be resolved, I and other members will gladly contribute to this topic.

Thanks,

Kingfish

Post subject: Nice
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:39 am 

Good catch keep going..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:57 am 
Fishaholic

Very good thread Scott!!

Hi Kingfish, you can use photobucket for storing and sharing your photos.
It is much easier and more user friendly compared to Imageshack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Kingfish,

Yes as Venky says Photobucket is the way to go. I logged onto imageshack to upload the images and since my last visit the structure of the site has changed as you mention which is a shame,

look forward to everyone's pictures,

All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank you Venkat and Scott for your advice.

I will try Photobucket for the pictures.

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Scott,
I am posting one of my memorable trip report (hope not the last) here. I am not too good in that but somehow managed to do this.

Angling at Mawa Resort (rebuilding confidence):

After two successive fishing trips without fish in pass lakes, heart of my angling mates (i.e. Hizol vhi, Shahin Vhi and Salehin) were broken very badly. As they were quite new in angling, a good fishing trip with some catches was highly required to keep their sprit of angling alive. Then I was trying to find out any location or spot where angling pressure is not so high as amateur anglers like us will have good chance in that case. After gathering information about such spots around or nearby Dhaka city we decided to go to the Mawa Resort situated near Padma River which is only 60 minute drive. On 06-06-2014 we reached the spot at 9.00am. We all were cheered up after seeing this beautiful Resort with lot of trees, beautiful cottages and 10 acre pond with fishes feeding on surface. After refreshing ourselves, having a nice breakfast there and finishing formalities for fishing we unpacked our gears and straight gone to the fishing spot. Everyone was very much exited and wanted to cast their rods as early as possible. While preparing our ground baits I noticed that activity of fishes on surface had decreased and one big clown knife fish was showing his face after every five minutes just 50 feet away. So, we ground baited at a distance of 70 feet. At 11.00am we casted our rods. For next 45 minutes we only observed the activity of fishes in our ground baited area but our floats didn’t detect any bite. In this period frustration started to develop again, why fishes are not taking our hook baits!! I assured them it will take a while for fishes to consume the ground bait and then in search for further food they will take our hook baits (if acceptable to them). After another 15 minutes our floats started dipping slightly. Hizol Vhi was first to land a Mirgal of ½ kg. Onward we started getting one after another Mirgals varying from 1kg to 2 kg size. Salehin as a smart guy stared casting slightly far away from the ground baited area to avoid these Mirgals and landed two Rohu of 2kg mark. Mean while rest of the team caught some Rohu, one Ghonia and one Kalibans along with some Mirgals (as a common). At afternoon we caught 2 catlas one weighted 1.8 kg and another 3.6kg. It was very much enjoyable to land these catlas as first time we came to experience the brutal power of this fish. This trip really helped us to building confidence among us and inspired us for experiment to success in pass lakes. Afterward we also have some good success in pass lakes too but Mawa Resort trip will always be especial one for the natural environment, beautiful pond, good catch, very nice food and the fun we have.
http://imageshack.com/a/img537/8727/XXRlr5.jpg
The Resort Pond
http://imageshack.com/a/img908/4128/6mf9UX.jpg
Part of the Resort Cottages
http://imageshack.com/a/img910/185/ZTEA6s.jpg
The Catch

Regards,
Arefin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:48 pm 
Fishaholic

This is my first mid sized GT and I can never forget the fight... Only for the bravery of my brother we were able to land it..

This is one memorable GT.. Fought like a bull, ran like crazy and at last snagged the line in the corner of the jetty. No way I can free the line, and with huge waves crashing one cannot go anywhere near. I took my brother's rod and casted a lure on the snagged line, in between the fish and the snag and started reeling in the line. Letting the drag loose I was able to slowly pull the line, hopping for the rock not to cut the line. With the line still snagged, I was able to get hold of the line and then I cut the line and joined it to the other rod. By the time, the fish ran around the jetty and a big plastic cover also got snagged in the lure's hook. I had to fight the fish and the water filled plastic cover and finally landed it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Great posts guys. It was a pleasure reading them. Lets hope some more forum members contribute some equally memorable reports;...we could have a very interesting thread going then :)

Arefin....It looks like you guys have some great fishing not so far from Dhaka. When will you go for the next session and what sizes do the fish grow too in the lakes you fish?

Venky...great fish there mate..that's a quality GT from the shore. And a very exciting fight by the sounds of it! I can just imagine how excited you must have been to land that fish :)

All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:47 pm 
Fishaholic

hello guys. i caught this threadfin salmon ( ravas) from the gulf of kutch , gujrat on x rap 14 glass ghost. it gave me one of the best fight of my fishing career

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:23 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Aamir,

That is a great catch and a beautifully composed picture.

There is life in the forum again and I hope there will be ongoing contributions to this topic.

So my lament has not been in vain, after all!

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Great fish Aamir! I never tire of seeing that beauty :)

And Kingfish..Yes this thread does seem to be working a little...

BUT COME ON GUYS!!!..... if you are reading this please post your story...

Nearly 200 views and only 3 or 4 catch reports is not great going :(

All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Here's a special MJ of mine, though not the biggest by far....

Took this fish from 30' feet deep water, jigging a soft plastic lure :-)

Cheers, Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Maruthu...nice fish and good technique to get it :)

when will you fish on the west coast again? It would still be nice to meet up...But I think I might not be able to make it over for a while..

All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Maruthu,

Great catch in a perilous position .... fishing from the rocks is not for the fainthearted.

As Scott says, come on guys.... contribute.

So far, we have had contributions from one foreign angler and two from
NRI's (self, Maruthu?) and only one from a resident Indian.

There have been zero contributions from the forum moderators.

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Sorry,just saw posts from Venkat and Arefin ... It is 3:30 am in Sydney and I am not fully awake, I guess!

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:08 am 
Fishaholic

worldfisher wrote:
Hey Maruthu...nice fish and good technique to get it :)

when will you fish on the west coast again? It would still be nice to meet up...But I think I might not be able to make it over for a while..

All the best, Scott

Thanks Scott!

I'd love to meet up and fish for a couple of days. My plan is to hit the west coast again from early March making a few trips here and there till the thunderstorms kick in around June. Would love to fish the nice weather in Jan/Feb, but too many tourist out there during this time of year for my liking. Got to wait till the tourist rush calms down and people tend to relax a little.

PS: That was a brave move to jump in the water following an MJ's tail.
But again, when the girl friend wants the lure/fish back, for us men I guess there isn't much of a choice isn't it.

Just kidding! Glad you made it safe :-)

kingfish wrote:
Hello Maruthu,

Great catch in a perilous position .... fishing from the rocks is not for the fainthearted.

So far, we have had contributions from one foreign angler and two from
NRI's (self, Maruthu?) and only one from a resident Indian.

Kingfish

Thanks Kingfish! BTW, I'm a resident Indian :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:53 am 
Fishaholic

this was my first barra for which, i had to cast on heavy tackle for almost 5 hours from evening 6.30pm and i get a bite around 11.45 pm.
i was using daiwa crosscast 5500 reel and daiwa phantom 10 feet rod, so u can imagine the weight of that equipment, i could not feel my arms in few hours but i continued to cast to get this beauty i could not fish the next day, this is the only fish where i had to work hard.
and till date remains my biggest barra caught on lure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:27 pm 
Fishaholic

That is one great looking Barra there Ramper!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Maruthu, that sounds like a good plan. I don't think I'll be in India around those times which is a shame. but lets see...if not now then surely next season! :) But I look forward to seeing how you get on..

Ramper...great barramundi there! I can imagine your arms were hurting after the fight and after casting for so long! Thanks for sharing! Great inspiration for other anglers but maybe think about setting the next one free :) Just a thought and I think I understand why you kept that one ;)

And hey Kingfish....I'm still looking for your post.!! ;)

It's great to see this thread developing! Maybe we can try and organise a get together sometime at the end of the year? it would be great for any keen anglers to come together to share some good times!

all the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:33 pm 
Fishaholic

@RaMpEr

Nice catch ... tough going with the heavy gear!

@ Worldfisher

I have to wait for my son to post my pictures....he is on his honeymoon right now!

Regards,
Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:20 pm 
Fishaholic

No worries Kingfish :) please wish your son congratualtions! Does he fish too?

all the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:50 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Scott,

Thank you, will pass on your good wishes.

I guess my son has caught the "fish" he was after and is now "hooked" for life!

Kind regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:55 am 
Enlightened

Guys, THANK YOU for your posts and pics, your catch is fantastic!

[quote=
So I thought we could all try and liven the forum up a little by each posting a fish that is particularly memorable for each of us.[/quote]

OK, amigo, I will ;)

2008 Goa Candolim
My first Barra (and look my mad eyes :D )

Grouper (rockfish local name)

Barra #2

This trip (december 2014) - no barras.... :cry:

But see my post upper :)

P.S. I love India!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:26 am 
Fishaholic

yesterday was a memorable day, when i had 3 giant otters, swim towards the direction of my live bait which i had to reel in fast as a bullet, did not want to hook up a wild otter at the end of my line.
last time, i hooked a wild mammal while casting, it had destroyed my lure, i will try and share the pic of the lure once i find it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Perkeo,

Long time!! where have you been? I saw your other post and it looked like you had a great trip! It must have been great to catch up with old friends, faces and places back in Goa!!

Thanks for sharing your catches. Some true beauties there and I'm thinking some memorable fights! When will you return to Goa or have you plans for holiday/fishing elsewhere?

And Hey Ramper...That sounds very interesting. Its very good to see the otters!..was it while you were fishing in Goa? I was lucky enough to see some while kayaking down to Goa from Bombay somewhere on the Konkan, and then again last year high up Tarkali creek. Information such as this, which can be provided by anglers can be very helpful for future protection/management of species such as otters. And I look forward to hearing/seeing your other 'wild animal' story/pic!!

All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:27 pm 
Fishaholic

@Scott

yes i am from goa, i try and go fishing everyday, yes it was last night i spotted them.
they were just 10 feet away from me, and 1 guy swam just below the edge i was standing on.
just did some research and found that they are endangered species , and even wild life dept dont have proper records of how many remain in the wild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Ramper, That is very interesting because I had half suspected the otter's might have vanished from the lower Goa Rivers because they are quite susceptible to changes in their environment. (i'm guessing you were fishing pretty close to the sea?)

I think anglers spend a greater time by the water than any other group of people, so it makes sense to use any information we gain to help the environment....

So I think we should start a STICKY thread in the conservation and environment part of this forum where any otter sightings can be recorded. I'm sure any ecologists/scientists would be very happy to have some general info like this?

What do you say moderators ?

All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Scott

last night also i spotted them, i believe they are 5 of them that are in the vicinity where i am fishing.
they are kind of not much scared for humans as they are freely moving around.
i was lucky enough they did not eat all the fish, as last night i landed a small barra of around a 1.32kg barra at around 2 am
i think ill be informing the wild life guys to relocate them, as a lot of guys put nets around the area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:50 am 
Fishaholic

@RaMpEr

You can just pass on the location and other details to Mhadei Research Center. I'm sure it would be of use to them.

http://mhadeiresearchcenter.org/portfol ... ats-in-goa

Regards,
Humaid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:34 pm 
Fishaholic

RaMpEr wrote:
Scott

last night also i spotted them, i believe they are 5 of them that are in the vicinity where i am fishing.
they are kind of not much scared for humans as they are freely moving around.
i was lucky enough they did not eat all the fish, as last night i landed a small barra of around a 1.32kg barra at around 2 am
i think ill be informing the wild life guys to relocate them, as a lot of guys put nets around the area.

Ramper,

Try to get a few pics of the otters and also the nets from the same spot.
If you spot the otters during the night, try to get a few pics of them if you can and the pics of the nets you can get during the day as they are always there. Then let's see if we can have the wildlife guys stop some of those netting activities. But again, we got to hope that they don't ban angling too even though anglers are the ones that they get the info from.

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Maruthu

i have spoken to the wild life guys, and they told me, they do not relocate them, and the otters will just move away from the area in a few days, they say its illegal to catch them, even after telling them, that they might get stuck in the net, he was continuously saying its illegal to catch them.
and he also said, that its will not be possible for them to catch all of them.
i think it will take a lot of effort to relocate them , which the wild life guys don't want to initiate.
so looking at the lazy attitude of this guys, i don't think ill be able to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:27 pm 
Fishaholic

hey Ramper you did the right thing and tried. Good on you Humaid for posting the link. It is a shame the otters can't be relocated, but agree it might be hard and therefore costly to catch them all. Plus there is the added problem of where to relocate them?

If they should be released outside their home territory then they will almost certainly have problems with other otter groups or simply return home. Fingers crossed in a few days they will naturally move on when they get fed up with nets. Lets just hope they don't get harmed before then....maybe they are just smart and eating all the fish they find in the nets?

...it does seem a shame that more can't be done to at least keep them out of trouble..

So who else is going to share a trip report/ favourite fish story? come on guys ....lets try and keep this thread alive :)

All the best, Scott

ps are there any moderators reading this? it seems not....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:49 am 
Fishaholic

worldfisher wrote:
So who else is going to share a trip report/ favourite fish story? come on guys ....lets try and keep this thread alive :)

All the best, Scott

ps are there any moderators reading this? it seems not....

Scott,

Here we go with my recent trip report!

I did my part this past long weekend trying to explore new fishing location on the coramandel coast.

Didn't catch a fish, but I did put my time in finding new location on the coramandel coast for land based GT fishing. Did find some spots with very high potential with lots of bait around which were half pound catfish and mullets and lot and lots of small bait fish that resembled anchovies. I will get back there when the monsoon hits the west coast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:05 am 
Fishaholic

I am going on a trip to Tasmania mid February and am taking my trout spin outfit with me.

Tasmania has excellent trout fishing with brown,rainbow,brook trout in it's streams and lakes.

There are also stockings of Atlantic salmon in some of their waters.

The intent is to hire a 4 wheel drive Pajero and hit as many trout locations as possible.

I am taking St.Croix Triumph 4 piece travel rods, Shimano 2500 size reels and a
good selections of Mepps and Vibrax spinners, Tassie Devils,Toby spoons
and a plethora of Rapala F7,CD 5 lures.

Let us see what transpires !

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:38 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,
Here are some old memories of mine.
I used try fishing with hand lines every time I visited Karwar (Dad's home town). The estuary was just a few steps away from our place. All we used to catch were cat fish and moray eels. We rarely got lucky with an occasional flat head.

Then after many years, I finally met a person who boasted of catching Karimeen (Kaderi as it is known there) in the monsoon season. He invited me to come over in the monsoon. I reached Karwar and from there planned and took a bus to get to this person’s place. It is about an hour’s journey. The person had told us that we need to start early before sunrise, as dawn is the only time that these fish bite. We got up at about 4am and went triple seat on a rickety moped (M80) loaded with bamboo sticks. Those days, knowledge and finances were low to afford a decent tackle.

We parked along the road side and started walking through the jungle towards the lake. It was still dark and it was drizzling making the walk scary. At first light, I rigged up a shrimp and cast. The moment the bait touched the water, a small glass fish was on. I had never caught a fish this fast. This boosted my spirits. Then one after the other, the karimeen started coming in of all sizes. The largest I guess was about 400gms. We had a fun 3 hr session with about 60-70 fish landed.

We could also spot an occasional murrel. On later trips, I saw a Channa diplogramma from the area and assume it could be the northern most distribution of it.

After that I made plenty of trips to the place and witnessed various techniques the locals used. We used to get up on the hill slopes in the paddy fields loaded with a bent iron rod and a gas lamp. We used to find fish in the light and hit them hard with the iron rod. These would later swim in the fish curry. Then we used to go along the lake side at night with a gas lamp and a dip net, and return back with a bag full of half beaks.

There is a hydroelectric turbine with a small bridge opposite it. The locals would gather on the bridge and cast half beaks rigged through the eye and retrieve them fast to give them a swimming action. Their target were MJs. I have seen MJs about 6 pounds being landed this way.

With time, I lost touch of the place and those people. I still dream of going back and fish for those karimeen. But now I guess the area is well surveyed by the forest department and I’m not sure it fishing is permitted.
Will try and share the limited pictures I have of the place once I dig them.

Collecting bait.
Attachment:
2.jpg

The Place.
Attachment:
The Place.jpg

The Catch.
Attachment:
The Catch.jpg

Regards,
Humaid

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by humaid on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Kingfish, That sounds like a great trip planned! wow...Tasmania! the land of giant trout and crystal clear waters! I think you will have a great trip in beautiful country so really look forward to your report!

Are you taking a guide? or will you just explore and fish?Although I would rarely take a guide it might be worth looking a couple up before you go. I read a very good piece about Tasmania before and it seemed important to have some local knowledge. You will then be able to target the really productive water! well good luck :)

And Humaid...what a wonderful trip report! That is what fishing is all about....right there! beautiful and thanks for sharing! I wonder how it is in your old spots...Do you think you might return one day? or might that spoil your warm memories? That is always a tricky decision to make!

I'm going to be fishing the French rivers in the next months so will keep a trip report going here on IA...lets see :)

all the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Looking forward for your report Scott!

Always loved the pike fishing reports from Europe.
Been a while since I've read one of your Pike fishing report.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Scott,

I may take a guide but they are all booked out,it seems.

Furthermore, they charge something in the region of $600 per person per day !

I think I will just try my own thing .... half the fun is in exploring new places to fish, don't you think?

Regards,
Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:32 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Marathu, Yes i think it could be interesting and must say I'm quite excited. I'm not usually too keen on carp angling mainly due to the 'uk carp scene' but here the rivers are big and wild and there is no way of knowing what you might catch. The fish run up to 30kg and are powerful compared to lake fish so it's quite an exciting challenge.

Then there are the wels catfish that run to over 100kg and can be caught on lures....which particularly interests me. The season for the cats only starts in may so until then i will target other species.

I recently put up a new pike and perch fishing post so have a look mate. I'm apparently not allowed to put my blog link here so if you don't have it email me :)

Kingfish, I would say really it is all down to how much you want to catch specimen/trophy fish and also numbers of fish. Should you have these urges then a guide will probably be essential: At least to glean the valuable information on which rivers to fish, which beats to try and technique info.

But then there is the question of price and whether you are bothered so much by big fish and numbers. if not....I would do as you say and just have fun and go exploring. I know for myself the fishing 'discoveries' are far more special if I discover them myself...

You've chosen an awesome place to fish and have a load of the right lures so i'm sure you will have a great trip whichever option you choose.

All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:45 am 
Fishaholic

Thank you,Scott.

I no longer have the competitive urge to catch the largest fish or the greatest number ..... I admit, there was a time when this was so.

I think,now, it is more important to enjoy the overall experience and any fish caught is a bonus.

This way, there is no pressure and one can focus on other things...be it the scenery, the food and the wine or the companionship.

It may be difficult for the younger anglers to understand this, I know it was for me when I started.

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey King fish...yes you are quite right. It's an interesting subject on what motivates angler and i'm sure it would make an interesting thread sometime;)

So Who is going to post the next report???? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:19 am 
Enlightened

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/5381/Uc0iZu.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img633/7932/ytGXs0.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:57 am 
Fishaholic

subhanandi

What the ......is that a sea snake in the second picture?

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm 
Fishaholic

worldfisher wrote:
Hey Marathu, Yes i think it could be interesting and must say I'm quite excited. I'm not usually too keen on carp angling mainly due to the 'uk carp scene' but here the rivers are big and wild and there is no way of knowing what you might catch. The fish run up to 30kg and are powerful compared to lake fish so it's quite an exciting challenge.

Then there are the wels catfish that run to over 100kg and can be caught on lures....which particularly interests me. The season for the cats only starts in may so until then i will target other species.

I recently put up a new pike and perch fishing post so have a look mate. I'm apparently not allowed to put my blog link here so if you don't have it email me :)

All the best, Scott

Scott,

I looked at the pike fishing report and it was a great. Wels catfish on heavy soft plastics with bait casters seem even more interesting. Makes me think that I should have fished for Muskies when I had the chance....

Thanks for sharing!

I went to another spot last night. I couldn't fish as I barely had an hour to go spend on the beach as I was there for a wedding. This was a river mouth that was running deep with a nice current and had a lot of rocky structure which looked very promising. I spoke to some folks that were fishing there and heard pretty good things. And the info seemed authentic as they were saying things in terms of the size of the fish, species and the techniques used to catch them. Will hit that place with my rod/reel sometime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Marathu, Yes the big catfish on lures is something very special which I hope to do more of soon. And i'll report back on what happens...

And sounds like you should have had a go for the muskies :) they seem to be a special fish too! When is your next saltwater fishing? Look forward to the report because the spot you found sounds great! maybe a few beasties lurking there for you...

And hey Subahnandi, nice african threadfin! was that in the Gambia...tell us some more??.. but maybe remove the picture of the snake. I know sometimes us anglers catch some 'different' species by mistake but it's probably not a good advert for angling in general...just a thought :)

all the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:37 am 
Fishaholic

worldfisher wrote:
Hey Marathu, Yes the big catfish on lures is something very special which I hope to do more of soon. And i'll report back on what happens...

And sounds like you should have had a go for the muskies :) they seem to be a special fish too! When is your next saltwater fishing? Look forward to the report because the spot you found sounds great! maybe a few beasties lurking there for you...

all the best, Scott

Scott,

Looking forward for the report and good luck!

The spots that I'm after these days are the ones where you can fish in a certain way :-) The last couple of spots I was exploring were some of those where you can throw heavy soft plastics in at least 20' deep fast moving water, where you'd only want to fish a darter or a pencil popper when it comes to plugs. I would've included bucktail jigs on that list too, but they seem to be more versatile than heavy soft plastics.

I'm planning a trip by the end of this month to one of my usual spots, but will hit the other two spots that I'd mentioned in this thread later starting early summer as they seemed like they'll hold fish when most of the other river mouths dry up and tend to be less productive. Hoping to hit those spots during March through May and may be catch a fish or two and report back.

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Some great reports here, thank for livening things up guys. I've been really busy with bird and wildlife photography so will not be doing much fishing anytime soon.

Cheers
Bops