->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:20 am

All times are UTC+05:30




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Trout fishing 2017
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:54 am 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 313
Location: Philadelphia, USA
I had a good season with Spring trout this year. Trout fishing in South Eastern Pennsylvania opens around end of March, and is good till mid May. Mid March was a bit too cold this year.
I was fishing a catch and release stream and caught a few chub that day on trout magnet jigs. But the air temperature was freezing cold, that the thin coating of water on the 4lb line would freeze when it accumulated at the rod tip. I had to knock off those ice every ten minutes and kept fishing but did not catch any trout that day.

The opening day of regular trout fishing was poor this year, it rained heavily the previous two days and lures did not work. All streams were muddy. But few days later fishing was great. I fished 5 streams and would have caught over a 100 trout totally (most released ofcourse :D ).

I caught a personal best brown trout which was about 20 inches long and around 3lbs, on a 1/64th oz jig on a light 4'6" rod.
Here are some pictures.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Trout fishing 2017
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:31 am 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1034
Location: Sydney, Australia
Great pictures and a smashing season opener, Binu! To catch 100 trout is something.

I see that you caught a good mix of both brown and rainbows, at least one of them on what appears to be a Rebel Crawdad?

Nice light gear, happy with the CI4 ? I use the same reel in the 4000 size for barramundi fishing and find it to be light but strong. One can cast all day and not be fatigued.

Regards,
Kingfish


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Trout fishing 2017
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:33 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 970
Location: Bangalore, India
Congrats Binu!

Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures!
I am planning to fish the trout rod I have in the salt with 1/16 oz jig heads for small fish during the afternoons.
Will keep you posted on how that goes. Who knows, I might be able to catch something decent and even get that on tape ;)

Maruthu


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Trout fishing 2017
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:13 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:20 pm
Posts: 484
Location: Bangalore, Kanyakumari
Binu, those fishes are looking great.
Wish we also had these here!!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Trout fishing 2017
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:14 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 313
Location: Philadelphia, USA
kingfish wrote:
Great pictures and a smashing season opener, Binu! To catch 100 trout is something.

I see that you caught a good mix of both brown and rainbows, at least one of them on what appears to be a Rebel Crawdad?

Nice light gear, happy with the CI4 ? I use the same reel in the 4000 size for barramundi fishing and find it to be light but strong. One can cast all day and not be fatigued.

Regards,
Kingfish


Kingfish,
Thank you. Sorry the 100+ trout was for the whole season from April till Mid May, I didnt say that clearly. I love the Stradic Ci4 1000. I bought it in 2010, and have used it very well for light freshwater fishing, and its been great so far. I clean the outside once every few trips, and lightly oil it, and it has performed well. I don't know how it performs in Saltwater. Have you used your Ci4 4k in saltwater as well? As you mentioned its very light and strong. I recently bought a Shimano nexave 1000 (weighs 7.6oz, about 2oz heavier than the Ci4 5.6oz), because I got it real cheap and fished it over the weekend, and I could tell the difference in weight was not balancing well with my trout rod.
You are right about the rebel crawdad this is the Rebel Teeny Wee Crawfish, its one of my favorite lures for fishing small shallow streams.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Trout fishing 2017
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:19 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 313
Location: Philadelphia, USA
lure_fisherman wrote:
Congrats Binu!

Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures!
I am planning to fish the trout rod I have in the salt with 1/16 oz jig heads for small fish during the afternoons.
Will keep you posted on how that goes. Who knows, I might be able to catch something decent and even get that on tape ;)

Maruthu


Maruthu, keep me posted, you never know what you may catch in saltwater. I love fishing my trout rod for tiny 6-10" bluefish, and have caught small striped bass, needlefish, small GT like fish here, all using the 1/8 and 1/12oz kastmaster.


h_venkatesan wrote:
Binu, those fishes are looking great.
Wish we also had these here!!


Thanks Venky!!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Trout fishing 2017
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:36 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 970
Location: Bangalore, India
binu wrote:
Maruthu, keep me posted, you never know what you may catch in saltwater. I love fishing my trout rod for tiny 6-10" bluefish, and have caught small striped bass, needlefish, small GT like fish here, all using the 1/8 and 1/12oz kastmaster.


And yes, I forgot to mention that 1/8 oz Kastmaster....
It will be primary I'll be fishing in the salt with my trout gear. Guess who told me about that.... :wink: :twisted: lol


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Trout fishing 2017
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:01 pm 
Online
Enlightened

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:26 am
Posts: 74
@Binu,
Nice job there bud, those bows and browns have a real nice wild coloration on 'em. I'm sure the big brown might've fought like a monster on the UL rod. BTW, is that chub in the last two pictures?

I remember streams of Penn State when I visited U Penn for a couple of conferences in 2010 while I was still in school. It's nice up there, y'all are lucky to have trout stream popping out from everywhere!

Cheers....


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Trout fishing 2017
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:50 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 1034
Location: Sydney, Australia
Binu,

I found the CI4 to be excellent for barramundi fishing in saltwater, where one has to make several hundred casts in a session, because of its light weight ..... fatigue becomes a factor in tropical waters with temperatures nearing 40 degrees Celsius ( 104 degrees Fahrenheit) in an open boat.

As with any other reel used in saltwater, a good rinse with freshwater (with a locked drag) followed by
a good wipe down and light spray with Inox (better than WD40) and an oiling of the line roller, bail arms,handle and shaft is necessary ... although in the case of the CI4 it is more forgiving because of its non-metallic body.

As you know, Shimano have an oiling port on this reel which allows easy lubrication of the internal gears and I tend to put in a drop of oil here every trip to keep things smooth.

The only other thing to keep in mind is to use a light but strong rod to mate with this reel, in order to have a balanced outfit.

With summer coming to your part of the world, we are hoping for more activity from you with stripers
and other fish ...... whereas in our part of the world it is now winter and we are toning down our angling action!

Regards,
Kingfish


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Trout fishing 2017
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:12 am 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 313
Location: Philadelphia, USA
Ulygun wrote:
@Binu,
Nice job there bud, those bows and browns have a real nice wild coloration on 'em. I'm sure the big brown might've fought like a monster on the UL rod. BTW, is that chub in the last two pictures?

I remember streams of Penn State when I visited U Penn for a couple of conferences in 2010 while I was still in school. It's nice up there, y'all are lucky to have trout stream popping out from everywhere!

Cheers....


Thank you Ulygun


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Trout fishing 2017
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:16 am 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 313
Location: Philadelphia, USA
kingfish wrote:
The only other thing to keep in mind is to use a light but strong rod to mate with this reel, in order to have a balanced outfit.
Regards,
Kingfish


You nailed it, about pairing with a light strong rod.
Spring has been decent this year, I did catch a lot of bluefish. But not any striper worth mentioning, caught a few very small ones. I haven't got to fish much for striper this year, but may do more in fall. I will post a report on bluefish next week or so.

Cheers,
Binu


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC+05:30


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited