->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:26 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Hook baits for Mahseer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:47 pm 

hi.
Ive caught a lot of mahseer using plain wheat flour for hook bait. Does anyone know if the boilies, the other rohu and katla bait will work better for mahseer? Any other suggestion to improve the plain wheat flour bait for mahseer will be welcomed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:27 am 
Fishaholic

Where are you fishing Masheer for on the Ullhas?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:07 am 

no bobby..... fish mahseer at the railway lake igatpuri. Got a good size and very smart mahseer fish here. makes mahseer fishing more difficult and challenging

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Very nice mate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:07 pm 

Thanks bobby

just to mention.... sometime back i talked with Bops and he was wondering how mahseer survived in the lake. Its been there for a long long time..although the lake isnt big. And to add to things... the lake has Singara, Valangi, vallago, small tiny fish(dont know what they are called), crawfish, snakes, crabs, tilapai.

On thinking over it...yes its a miracle....although the railway dont really maintain the lake and there is netting all the time.....but i guess mother nature is taking care of it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:37 am 
Fishaholic

Yes there are several lakes with Mahseer in them in and around Mumbai, I was surprised to learn this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:59 am 

Hey friends.....need a pat on the back for this one. The lake where i fish has about 15 regular anglers (dont know if i can term them as that because they are there just for the catch and no release). Although i too bring home the mahseer , singara, valunji, wallago attu etc for the pot....i would release the small mahseer..i.e. fingerlets upto below 3/4 kg. My ustaad and other folk on the lake never released the small fish...i even know of a stupid fellow who takes the fingerlets for his cat !!!

I been trying to make them understand the benefits of releasing the smaller fish back and after almost 3 years of doing this myself.... this past sunday i found a few of them hooking the fingerlets and a bit larger ones and then waving out to me...and pop it went back to the water. I was so happy to see this change.

After sometime my ustaad( the old man i learnt angling and casting from) did the same....he released about 8 small fishes that he had hooked in a row.

I call this and achievement.... what do you think folks ???

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:33 am 
Fishaholic

Well done mate, it is difficult to release a fish especially for beginners, but the fingerlings should not tempt anyone to keep them. I have been releasing my catch for over 20 years now. I do take fish for the pot still, I use my own judgment what I should take back, but I am not going to pretend and say "that wonderful feeling you get when you see that a fish swims away", I still get quite tempted to keep a few, but use my better judgment and release them.

I think you have done very well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Well done, it is a tremendous achievement. You are setting a fine example.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:45 am 

thanks bobby & kingfish
Another update on the same lake. A series of complaints to the A.E.N of the Railways has led to a series of raids on the lake whence a few locals were booked for bathing their cattle in the lake and a few women who daily washed clothes in the lake were warned of action. A few of the anglers were also booked and their rods and reels confiscated. The people who illegally used nets in the lake for fishing have been checked. No more fishing for the moment....but im really happy that the fishes will flourish. Hopefully, if this action lasts even a year....the fishes will be much healthier and larger in number. :lol: :lol: :lol: