->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:04 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:27 am 
Fishaholic

Hello fellow anglers,

It will be interesting to learn what are (is) the most popular saltwater reels used amongst members in
India.

Even if 1% of our membership answer, we should have a good cross section of brands used and perhaps find the most popular brand of reel.

I would venture out on a limb and say that perhaps Shimano reels are the most popular here in Australia, with the Stradic models possibly selling the most.

I sense that in the US, Penn reels possibly rule the roost .....they have too many diverse models to pick the most popular.

Perhaps Binu and Ulygun can shed some more light on this?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Kingfish,

I've been using a Shimano SLX 151HG reel most of the time these days. But, I haven't yet seen another angler use this reel here in India so far. We have a Shimano Stradic 3000 reel paired to a 6' rod that we bought for Annette to use, but I fish it sometimes as well and love the setup.

Regards,
Maruthu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:59 am 
Fishaholic

For the surf, I have seen a lot of people fish the Shimano Saragosa. Different penn reels are popular.
Shimano stradic is popular for light summer fishing,
Daiwa Bg is also popular these days. I don't see many people fish conventional reels here, I see two people who fish Abu here in the spots I usually fish.
One spot where I fish is about 1.5-2 mile walk to get to the spot and only the serious surfcasters fish there, especially at night. Many of them fish Van staals there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:06 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Maruthu and Binu for your input.

Let us wait to hear from other anglers in India, perhaps they can shed some light on their reel choices.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:54 pm 
Fishaholic

I do not buy reels anymore as most reels as I do not like Chinese made reels, they are very problematic. I did buy 6 reels that were assembled in China but all internal parts were Japanese, I kept 2 and give the rest to my friends to test out, the results have been very positive so far. No problems and they boast of some serious drag stopping power. This I had done about 8 months ago. My friend in NZ has taken some good black kings with the reel and they performed flawlessly. He said on two of those charters his friends who were using branded Chinese reels, I cannot remember which makes either Daiwa or Shimano were destroyed.

Now a days I do not look beyond a Saltiga as far as spinning reels go, they last you a lifetime.

I use the Saltiga in open water, and another Daiwa Freams Japanese made reel in ponds. However the last few outings I have been using the Jap-Chinese reels. Caught a few small MJs and Barracuda and a small Mahseer with the little one but mine were not really tested.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:53 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Bobby,

Nice choice of the Saltiga for heavy duty fishing. Daiwa make good reels but I have stopped buying their
reels as they are very expensive to service and take a long time before returning.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:55 am 
Fishaholic

Admin.,

Would you be able to shed some light on what reels sold the most when the Indian Angler shop was
in operation?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:59 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Kingfish,

So far I have never sent a reel for servicing, have serviced all the reels myself. As far as parts go, I have have had problems with Shimano, never with Penn, recently I have two Daiwa reels that need parts. An old BG and a Freams, but have not got down to it.

Bobby

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:40 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Bobby.

This leads me to the question that, as far as I know, none of the big names such as Shimano, Daiwa,
Penn etc. have any offices in India. This is unlike most countries in the West and even in places such as
Malaysia, Thailand etc. where these companies maintain a presence to serve their customer base.

Consequently, there would not be any Service or Parts Department where one could send reels for servicing or for obtaining spare parts in India.

So what do our anglers do when their reels suffer mechanical failures?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Kingfish,
I have used both Penn and Shimano reels. I will recommend Shimano reels over Penn.
My take is Shimano reel are far superior to Penn reels, I have bad experience with Penn reels.
My saragosa reels even after few years of usage are still in mint condition, and I am yet to open it up, cannot say the same with penn reels at the similar price point.
When I had issues with pen 850 ssm reels, I had got spares from US.

Regards,
Venkatesan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Venkat,

Nice to hear from you.

I agree that Shimano reels are nice and I own a boatload of them. The issue is that if anything goes wrong with your Saragossa, will you be able to repair it in India ? Also there is the problem of availability of spare parts from Shimano for older models.

In a sense, Penn would be a more suitable reel for Indian anglers as the innards are relatively straightforward and can be easily serviced or replaced by the owner. Penn spare parts are always available.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:32 pm 
Fishaholic

At this stage, most of the well known contributors to the Forum have listed their reels of choice.

Shimano is the leader of the pack, undoubtedly. Daiwa also gets an honourable mention.

Surprisingly, Penn reels do not seem to find much favour with them. Whereas, these would be my personal pick for Indian fishing conditions.

You get a vast selection of Penn models at various price points. They are sturdily built with full metal bodies to take the hurly burly of travel and knocks against rocks or boat gunwales.

They can be easily opened up and greased or cleaned if saltwater gets into them. Should any spare parts be required, these are readily available from Penn, even for models dating back several decades.

Just my experience. I would even venture to say that the Penn Battle II in 4000 size would be the ideal reel for budding anglers in India. The rod would be a suitable Ugly Stik.

Bought at the right time and brought over by a relative from the USA, the above outfit should not
exceed US$100 -120. The Battle II can be obtained for around $80 or so as it is being superseded by the Battle III ...... and an Ugly Stik GX2 7ft. rod should not be more than 30-40 dollars.

It will be nice if we could hear from other anglers.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:59 am 
Fishaholic

Venkat,

By the way, I went through some of my previous contributions to the Forum and found that some of your replies are now blanked out.

Noticed this with some of Maruthu's as well.

What gives??

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:48 am 
Fishaholic

Looks like issues related to the recent platform software upgrade.

I did run though some of my previous posts and found this.

Replies with quoted messages were getting displayed blank. The system does have the original message, as when i click edit i am able to get the original message.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:01 am 
Fishaholic

Kingfish, I believe that there are reps/dealers for these companies in India too, so you can get parts and service.

But of course with Chinese made reels especially the cheaper ones people prefer to throw them out and replace them, as with so many cheap products. This is also my beef with these products the waste that they generate and no one puts any cost on the proper disposal of these cheap products. I am of the opinion that these products should be taxed very heavily to account for the disposal charges and environmental damage that they contribute to.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:52 am 
Fishaholic

Ok, Venkat .... so all is not lost!

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:55 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

I stand corrected, a quick Google search showed Shimano are in India (Bangalore office). However,
I could not find Daiwa (except for TV sets) or Penn offices.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:54 am 
Fishaholic

I am sure Daiwa and Penn are there too.

The honest truth, for me living in Hong Kong, if I need a part or info I always write to the parent company for non Japanese companies. An if I need something from a Japanese company I write to the office in Australia :). In this way I am provided the info or pointed in the right direction. And if I do not get a response I write to the person who responded to my original communication again. Hong Kong is not the best place for tackle and even worse for after sales service and spares as far as tackle goes. Disposal culture is rife here...

Its a pity I did not do this for my Tiagras, Shimano I have not been happy with Shimano,but with Daiwa I have never replaced anything yet other than a drag washers and a bail roller on a very old reel, but Penn USA we absolutely wonderful, they sometimes just sent me the part when I asked them where I could get it, no questions asked, of course the reels were made in the US then.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:14 pm 
Fishaholic

shimano reels sell a lot here in Goa, as they are bang for the buck and very smooth, i have seen locals who buy shimano fx or ax 4000 size which cost around Rs 1500 to Rs 1800 per season they use 3 to 4 reels as they break, so these reels sell as its very cheap, these guys use these reels for casting to bait fishing and try hooking large fish Lol!!

daiwa also have crossfire 4000 series which is around Rs 2500 to Rs 3000 and anglers do buy them, but only problem is the bail spring of these reels which is not available easily which tends to break.

Penn reels dont sell much as only serious anglers buy them who can spend Rs 10000 + on these reels, penn is last choice since shimano saragosa, spheros, stradic sell most followed by daiwa BG

also keep a lookout for new daiwa BGMQ these reel is competing with saragosa and spehros @Kingfish am sure you have planned to pick these reel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:17 am 
Fishaholic

@ RaMpEr

Hello!

It was so nice to read your post as it was most informative of the mindset of Goan anglers and also a knowledgeable report on what reels sell in those parts !

The Shimano AX and FX series reels are too lightly constructed to stand up to the rigours of saltwater
use. These would be all right for fresh water fishing for trout , Murell etc.

There are Chinese reels on the market (which emulate the higher priced Shimanos and Daiwas) at very low prices ...... but given the present distaste for anything Chinese it is just as well that these reels have hopefully not invaded the Indian market.

Not aware of the Daiwa BGMQ reel .... have too many reels now with not enough fishing to justify new
purchases!

Regards,
Kingfish