->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:44 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Forum rules

Post subject: Monofilament line
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:02 am 
Fishaholic

Seems to be a dearth of fishing reports on the Forum ... Maruthu is actively fishing but prefers to put
his exploits on YouTube!

So are there any anglers out there who still use monofilament line ?

I do use it sometimes, for the following reasons or occasions:

. It is cheaper than braid

. On reels prone to windknots with braid, using monofilament line alleviates the problem. However, as mono is thicker than braid for the same lb strength, one will lose a lot of line capacity if you fill up the reel with mono only.

I therefore bottom fill the reel with an adequate amount of braid line and top shot it with say a 100 meters of mono line.

This kills two birds with one stone. Firstly, one is not bothered by wind knots . Secondly, if you hook a strong fish, the underlying braid is adequate to stop its long runs and it cannot strip the spool.

. There is a school of thought amongst Australian anglers,who troll for fish, that braid is unforgiving as it does not stretch. Hence, it can rip the hook out of a fish mouth when set aggressively.

As mono stretches under tension, it is more forgiving in this scenario and is therefore preferred when
trolling.

. Again, when trolling , some reels hold upto 400meters of braid which can be quite costly if a strong running Tuna were to take line and strip the spool, so mono line will not hurt the pocket as much in this situation.

. Similarly, there is a school of thought that mono is preferable to braid when fishing from the shore in
places that have sharp rocks underwater ..... primarily because braid cuts easily while mono is more abrasion resistant.

However, I must confess that if I look at my reels, the vast majority of them are loaded with braid!
Hard to break a habit, I guess !!

Kingfish

Post subject: Re: Monofilament line
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:56 am 
Fishaholic

I forgot one more monofilament advantage.

It does not easily cut your hand or fingers when tying knots or while casting, as compared to braided line.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:20 pm 
Fishaholic

@Kingfish mono line is good when your using live bait, as the bait swims on the bottom mono does not get stuck as much as braid, also braid is good for trolling and casting, while trolling if you use a 30 feet deep diver on braid the lure will go to 25 to 30 feet, while using mono it will swim at 15 to 20 feet thus reducing your chance of catching fish which are at bottom like groupers, snappers.
mono is good for kingfish, tuna as lures are trolled in top channel of water.

Thanks

RaMpEr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:04 pm 
Fishaholic

@ RaMpEr

You have made some good points showing the usage of monofilament line vis-a-vis braided line.

How's the fishing?

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:54 pm 
Fishaholic

@kingfish, I have most of my reels loaded with braid. I still use 4lb mono exclusively in my trout fishing gear, and fishing reels loaded of size 1000. For fishing for Salmon in the rivers I only use mono line 12lb usually, and the reason being losing too much line to snags there. Almost all of the other fisherman use mono there, and I do the same.

I haven't fished in a very long time, hunting season is open and I am spending a lot of time in the woods archery hunting, and getting myself ready for the upcoming firearm season. I was very fortunate and lucky to bag 3 deer so far this year, and hoping to get a big buck before the season ends in January!

How's fishing in Australia now..

Cheers,
Binu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:08 am 
Fishaholic

@binu

You are a successful deer hunter ..... what do you do with the venison? Deer meat is usually quite lean and dry, so does it lend itself to being in curries?
The best venison I ever had was pickled meatballs with Indian spices and oil, kept in a porcelain jar so that the venison soaked in the oil and spice flavours. Melted in the mouth!!

The fishing season here has been slow. We did not go out locally for several months due to the Covid fear and restrictions. Interstate and international travel was forbidden , so Barramundi trips or Trout
Fishing in New Zealand was not possible.

Passed the time living vicariously, watching fishing channels on YouTube!

Best of luck.
Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:08 pm 
Fishaholic

@Kingfish
Yeah, venison is quite lean but I enjoy eating them and we also gave some away to my non-hunter friends. I get it processed through a butcher, and get style different cuts, the tenderloin and back-strap make great steak, and the other cuts are alright or curry or roasted in Kerala beef style. About half of the meat is usually processed as ground meat, and we have been putting it or different use- Cutlets, Meat balls, burger, Chili etc :). Also getting some spicy Italian sausage done this time!
The pickled meatballs sounds delicious, and I will try that sometime !

Regards
Binu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Kingfish!

I haven't been uploading the reports here as I rarely take pics while fishing. I think I need a point and shoot camera like the good old days when I clicked loads of pics everywhere I went. Even with mobile phones, I try not to take them out as much due to fear of dropping it in the water. However, with a point and shoot camera, it is less likely to drop them compared to phones as they came with a lanyard and also came with a better grip than a phone.

Coming to using monofilament line on reels, I used to not get the hookset a lot of the time because I am using conventional setups with slower retrieve speed and need to act quick. Will be bait fishing as well going forward for stingrays and such and will be using mono for that.

Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:49 pm 
Fishaholic

@Binu,

I wish I could get up there sometime soon for venison, good beef, beer, and some great fishing :)

Cheers, Maruthu