[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Using float with spinning reel. - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:35 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:46 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:11 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:12 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:50 am 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:15 pm 

my setup is somehting like this

(going backwards)
1. Hook
2. Split shots around 9 inches from hook
3. float
4. rubber band tied up as stopped for float

i use peacock feathers as float with a safety pin (with head cut off) at the bottom. i pass the round 'eye' of the pin thru the line.

note that once u tie a rubber band as a stopper using simple overhand knot, u need to cut off the ends so that it passes smoothly thru the guides and can also be reeled into the spinner

BTW what is a traditional reel? is it a circular line holder for a handline?

Regards, Anand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:29 pm 

I think I failed to explain my need. What I meant by traditional reel is the ones used in Bengal which is not a multiplier but has a ratio of 1:1. These reels are cast by hand. Before casting you have to pull line out to the required distance you intend to cast and neatly place it on a clean surface. The float is at one end while the hook is all the way at the other. You throw the line out and wait for it to sink to the bottom. Since the float is near the rod tip you wind the line tight till the float sinks to the required height.
How do you accomplish this with a spinning reel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:20 pm 
Fishaholic

in spinning reel setup you cast your bait first then you put the sliding float (peacock feather with safety pin eye) on the line in front of the rod tip so that you can adjust the distance as per your liking. it works the same way as tradition floats with fixed eye. only thing is you have to make your own floats because these are not available in market. once you see the picture you will understand how it works. i am sorry i cannot upload a picture right now coz all my floats are with my fishing buddy. maybe tomorrow i will upload a pic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:26 pm 

Thank you rod n reels, I get it. This will work but its a bit of a pain fastening and unfastening the float. I think I'll stick to watching the rod tip take a bend but thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:27 am 

Hi, Bairtho Shikari. You have come up with an interesting topic. Using a float is actually fun then staring at your rod tip, let me explain you how? if you are using mono line then your rod wont be able to register all the activities going on at the end of your line unless you use a heavy sinker and keeping your line tight but if you're on braid then yes you can enjoy. Using a float (i also use peacock feather) along with braid you will see each and every flicks the fish makes. All these events are first registered to the float then to the rod (if not big nothing). I always enjoy watching the float dance. In winter its crucial bcoz fish are not aggressive to bite but they often inspect and play with it and you can still see them using the float.

Spinning reel is a good start for amature anglers coz its easy, simple and fun to use with a basic knowledge but it doesn't mean mature and pros doesn't. Its very popular among all the communities. Seems like you'r using fly reel (if i am not mistaken).

I agree with rod n reels. Try it, i am sure you will enjoy :-) Happy fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:11 pm 

Thank you for your observations. I use a spinning reel with narrow gape hooks, which we in Bengal call Tonsen hooks. I have found that fish hook themselves on these hooks. I have used attachable floats with my reels, but found it troublesome to keep attaching and detaching them.
With the type of hooks I use, striking when the float dips seldom yields results.

Regards Ashim.

Post subject: Flote is banned
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:23 pm 
Fishaholic

I use flote in our ponds and its a good result. but all the pass lakes of our area is banned the flote..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:55 pm 
Enlightened

hey friends, i had to bring this post alive. some tips required, i m desperate. I have been losing a lot of fishes, just because i have big trouble setting the hook. I fish for Mulleys using bait, without any sinker, letting it to settle at the bottom. Problem is, when i get a strike and i jerk my rod back, the hook isn't set properly, and i lose the fish..everytime. Lost a whopper sized Mulley yesterday..please advise..i use a spinning reel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:04 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject: what colour to be use??
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Ok guys.. Will post up some stuff over the weekend.. Do you want pics of the fish too ?? :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Hurrayyyy...............

Thanks Gavin :D

not only fish......also want to see the fisherman's pics .... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:20 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:23 pm 

very interesting topic. I agree.
but please anyone upload a pic of the whole setup!
GRC Plz!!