->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:40 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Bait for Sole Fish
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:28 am 

Hai all...
Recently found one lake having sole fish. But I have no idea about this fish even after searching for a long. If anybody of us having any information about this fish then please advice me with the best bait, tackle and tactice to catch this fish.
Every piece of information will be highly appreciated...

Post subject: Sole Fish,
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,

Pl take a look at the posts on Murrel Fish. This fish is called "Sole" in North India & "Varaal" in Kerala. It will take frogs, spinners & Rapala type lures (X-Rap Glass ghost).

Regards
Cavalier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:40 pm 
Fishaholic

lake with murrel is always fun to find! if not much weeds and not much snags then go for spinners, it's more fun casting and retrieving plus the strike generally hooks the fish itself without having to pull to set hooks etc. if many weeds then use fake frogs, can be scum frogs or any other, if bait fishing, they take earth worms, they take cockroach and they take frogs. Personally found cockroach and frog creepy to be holding so stuck with worms.
hope this helps.
Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:32 pm 

Oh my God.... What a quick response... Thanks.. Thanks a lot.. :shock:
Actually it opened my eyes, that I was really not aware that 'murrels' are known as 'sole' in North India. The locals were saying sole fish, sole fish and sole fish but I didnt recognice the species because I was aware of the one and only sole fish which is a salt water species. Again thanks to Col sir and Mr Omesh... :-)

Post subject: Murrel
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:21 am 
Fishaholic

Most welcome. Welcome to Murrel madness & it is very addictive. It is a very tricky & smart fish. Enjoy the hunt & you can learn a lot from earlier posts. Manish from Nagpur & Dr Aamir Bhavnagari are the resident Murrel kings on this forum. Contact them.

Also look at Youtube videos on "Toman" fishing in Thailand.

By the way, where do you stay in Kerala??

Regards
Cavalier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:27 pm 
Fishaholic

one more correction Viraad or moreover I hope I can get some clarity on this... I have always believed the fish to be a freshwater one... do they also thrive in saltwater?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Omesh.Moorjani wrote:
one more correction Viraad or moreover I hope I can get some clarity on this... I have always believed the fish to be a freshwater one... do they also thrive in saltwater?

Omesh,

I think he is talking about the saltwater flatfish we have here known as Sole fish.
Tried to find some pics online, but could only come up with these links for Sole Fish pics!

http://sell.bizrice.com/selling-leads/1 ... -fish.html
http://sell.bizrice.com/selling-leads/1 ... -FISH.html

Viraad Krishna,

I haven't targeted sole fish and never have caught one. But I will be doing some fishing with light gear starting June/July this year near Chennai and I am hoping to catch sole fish and some other small species on tiny metal lures and small soft plastic/bucktail jigs around 1/8 oz. Will keep you posted....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:17 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Maruthu,

This definitely clears the confusion. Viraad if this is the fish species you are targeting, I apologize for any misleading information. I have no experience or info about this fish and how to catch it.

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:53 pm 

Hai Maruthu and Omesh... Actually when I post this msg I was not aware that the Murrels are known as Sole Fish in North India, so I was also confusing between the Saltwater Sole Fish(Flaties) and the freshwater Sole Fish( Murrel). But by discussing with our experts like you all now the confusion is no more and am getting ready to hit the lake for the murrel hunt.. in locals language "Sole ki sikaar..." ha ha ha... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:38 pm 
Fishaholic

go get them .....good luck (Y)

Post subject: Flat fish
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:45 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. Flatfish (sole /flounder) are found along our coast & are bottom feeders. They feed on invertebrates ( snails/slugs/molluscs /dead fishes) found on the sea floor. Only once have I hooked one on a sardine tail piece bait. No fight at all. All the best.
Regards
Cavalier