->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:25 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:02 am 
Fishaholic

Ugly Stik GX2-first impressions

I first heard about a newer version of the famous Ugly Stik just recently when looking at a fishing website.

My interest was aroused when I read the details.... a lighter rod with the same legendary toughness together with new guides that would not get easily damaged by rough handling.

Although a full range of the rods is now being made in the GX-2 version,I ordered the 6 ft. (one piece) model USSP601H rated for
8-20 line (4-10 kilos) from the US.

The price is an unbelievable US$40 for the rods....which staggered me as this was the price I paid for my first Ugly Stik way back in
1979 in a small tackle shop in Montreal,Canada.

That rod caught me countless fish of all freshwater species and never let me down and in fact still rests on my rod rack in Sydney!It is the reason why I still like these rods and have several in my collection.

I chose the one piece 6ft.version as I am looking for a relatively easy rod to travel with in the confines of an SUV and later perhaps in a helicopter, fishing for barramundi.

The usual 3-4piece travel rods are too cumbersome to dismantle every time one has to enter and dismount from the above modes of transport.

The new rod weighs only 225 gms.on the scale ,and is a joy to use mated to a Stradic 4000FJ .... at a later stage of life the necessity of light equipment cannot be overrated as it enables one to cast for long periods without getting fatigued.

The rod looks good with the usual dark colour scheme and the standard EVA grips,with silver and red bindings and a hook retainer above the fore grip.I find this feature, which seems to be lacking on many rods,to be very useful in keeping the lure hooked onto the rod and out of harms way when not in use.

The rod is made of graphite and fiberglass with the famous "Clear Tip" still retained for it's legendary extra strength and sensitivity.

The guides are one piece stainless steel and are able to handle braided line.There are no inserts that can pop out.The guides seem to be tough as I have seen a video of a person hammering on them without ill effect!

The rod butt is nicely finished off with a hard cap incorporating the Ugly Stik logo in red.

Would I change anything?Yes.

I hate the stamped logo on the EVA grip, there is no need for it when it is already incorporated in the mentioned butt cap.

The reel seat does not seem to be made by Fuji anymore and to me that is a disappointment.

If this rod could be made with a cork grip, it would look stunning and could give some of the established top end rod makers a run for their money!

At the price ,I think Ugly Stik are on to a winner and this would be a good rod for any angler,whether a novice or an experienced hand.

If it is mated with one of the new Penn Spinfisher V reels, which retail for around $140 or so, you have a reasonably priced outfit that will last you a lifetime and be able to take punishment without letting you down!

Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:17 pm 

I loved the new ugly stik GX2..I caught plenty of carp (some more than 35lb) on this rod..I also caught lots of salmon on this one .
I have casted ground bait weighing between 50gm to 150 gm using this rod.I have casted distances of more than 150 yards without any problems.Never had any problem with the rod...For some reasons I felt the old ugly stiks to be much stronger than the GX2..I have both the old n new..and I prefer to buy Ugly stiks of more than 9 foot..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:12 am 
Fishaholic

@rocky_moin

Good to hear your opinion on the GX2, you have obviously given it a far
better test than me by catching heavier,hard fighting carp and salmon.

I think that these new rods are just as strong as the old Ugly Stiks but being a lot thinner and lighter ,they seem to be more fragile .

One also tends to believe that "old is gold" as time goes by!

Will be interested to hear if you are using the GX2 in India?

Also, how do you get 150 yard casts? I presume this would be with braided line and a heavy weight using the 9 ft. GX2?

This would be helpful for me to know,as I do surf fish on occasion here in Sydney but find the old 12-13ft. rods to be too heavy to use now.

Regards,
Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:09 am 

Kingfish..
Yes they are little fragile than the first generation.I was amazed as to how the rod fought the salmon and carp.I have seen parabolic bends to the extreme on this rod and eventually the fish gave up.To be honest, Ugly stik is one of the best out there for the money.I have 5 ugly stiks (3 old, 2 GX2) and all of them above 9 foot.
Still casting groundbait weighing 80 to 150gm was never an issue with this rod.
I am using the GX2 in canada..I plan to courier three to four of these rods as I cannot find Ugly stik 9 foot with the rating 4 to 20Lbs in India..I see only 12Lb to 30LB rating in India..
Yes, I was getting long cast with a braided line.I was using 25Lb braided as the main line tied to the feeders for carp fishing.
The only downside of Ugly stik or any glass rods above 7 foot are they are slightly heavy for your wrist.But if you want to cast and rest the rod on the rod holder, then the ugly stik is perfect.
Any 6 foot is good for continuous casting.

In your case, I would suggest you buy a 9 foot GX2 and a rod holder pipe.Also a nice reel with 10+ BB.Loosen your drag a lot and then cast, this gives some extra distance.Tight the drag immediately after casting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the information. Is the 9 ft. GX 2 two piece?

How can loosening the drag prior to casting give extra distance ?

Regards,
Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:49 am 

Hi Kingfish

The last two lines were meant for some one else..I dont know i ended up typing down here...Its for centre pin fishing technique..

yes, the 9 foot is a two piece but still very strong and stable..