->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:42 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:46 pm 

H Friends!
Am looking for a combo set for angling in rivers, am new to angling. Can anyone advise which one I should get and from where? Is it advisable to go for a rod which can take more weight of fish in the beginning so that I need not to change the rod later on.
I tried to contact Admin Bappana as advised by a forum member but not been able to get a reply. Can anyone of you advise me on Rod, Reel, Line, hooks, Baits and tackles etc?
I need help to begin it.
Any one from Punjab?
Regards
Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:07 am 
Site Admin

I suggest you go with the Abu Garcia 9 foot combo since that will suit your requirements. If you set your drag correctly you should be able to land large fish without any issues. Again that depends on the area you are fishing in. If there are lots of sunken trees and other structure then you may need to use more drag and a heavier setup. It's not always the weight of the fish that decides which setup you should use.

I can be reached on +91 98451 49783

IA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:12 am 

HI!
Thanks a lot for your reply. Please advise what this setup is gonna cost me. I need complete set with Rod, Line, Reel, few hooks, a spinner,a spoon, spare spool and plug. How many sections are there in this rod and what kind of ferrule it has got. I want a Rod with medium or slow action.
Please advise.
Looking forward to hear from your side.
Regards
Harry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:36 pm 

Harry,

I read your recent posts and had been waiting on my membership approval so I could answer some of your questions. I have fished the Bhakra Dam, various canals and the Sutlej river. I've had luck at landing a few Mahseer at the Dam. For bait, I basically switched between a silver spoon and a rooster tail.

Since you are new to the sport, I would recommend keeping your equipment simple. In order to select your bait you want to study the food source of the fish or like you did ask someone who has fished the area. For example the Mahseer feed on shad at the Bhakra dam, therefore I used the silver spoon because you can see the shad swimming around while getting a glimpse of their silvery side. This is just a small example. As far as the rod is concerned, try to get a medium action rod and it will suffice for your everyday fishing. I was using a 20 to 40 lb test line since I was still in the experimental stages of fishing at the dam and was carrying a couple of different rods.

Its been a few years since I have fished there but I remember going to the BBMB and paying some fees and then going to the Fishery Department office at the dam. Everyone involved was very friendly and helpful except some of the folks with the local police chowky who had to be advised to lay off because they were trying to find ways to get money out of me.

I will be going back this fall and scouting the area some more because I have heard of people catching some really big Mahseer in the area. You will be more than welcome to tag along and I will be able to share more on a person to person basis.

Hope I've been able to assist you some.