->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:23 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Skipping lures
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:17 pm 
Fishaholic

If any of you have been in a boat and fished the shoreline lined with mangroves or tree branches hanging almost down to the waterline, you will realise how hard it is to cast into the roots of the mangroves or under the branches of the trees.

Unless you get into these areas, you are simply not going to catch fish such as barramundi or mangrove jacks, which lie under cover and amongst the roots from which they can ambush passing prey.

Overhead casts simply get stuck in the foliage and side casts have to be extremely,repeat extremely,accurate to hit the pocket.

On our recent trip to Melville Island, 90% of the fishing involved casting to such terrain and we were having a torrid time with lures snagging in branches or, even worse, falling short of the targeted areas due to timidity.

My saviour was a technique called "skipping lures" ... if you have ever skipped rocks on a pond then you know what I mean.Although I am not an expert on this style as yet, I could reasonably skip the lure under the branches and into the root pockets.

This enabled me to present the lure to the fish more often and minimised hang ups, which wasted time.

I show below the type of terrain behind me where casting is so problematic, especially at high tide as the targeted area diminishes in size.

I must clarify that one only uses soft plastics, rigged weedless, to skip on the water.

You may see this technique illustrated fully in YouTube.

Kingfish

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Skipping lures
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Interesting technique!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for sharing the info Kingfish!

I shall check it out on youtube when I get home.

Maruthu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Maruthu and Venkat,

This skipping technique will not be of much use when and where you go surf fishing. However, as you have both just taken up freshwater fishing, perhaps there may be places where you may try this technique for murrel etc.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:56 am 
Fishaholic

I just looked up the technique on youtube. Looks pretty cool!
Don't know when I'd need to use it, but definitely looks interesting.

I fish some rocky areas where casting accuracy is very important, but I can't skip lures there as there are rocks all over the place from the rock I'm standing to the rock I'm casting. So, it's always like playing basketball for me though. There is no clear path from where I am to where I want my lure to land....

Maruthu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:59 pm 
Fishaholic

We have been practicing this technique on our river for a while now after seeing those videos on the U tube . But i must declare that we are pathetic at it .

However we have been for ages skipping rubber frogs one or two bounces into the dark holes under overhangs on the river from our boat while fishing snake head.

Jeen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Anything that helps get the lure into the target zone while casting is good .... I have also not been able to get more than two skips from my casts so far.

While my technique needs further improvement to get several skips, we found that even with two skips we were able to get into the target zone and avoid those dreadful hang ups of the lures in branches.

This saved valuable time, as each hang up took several minutes to untangle before getting back in action.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:48 pm 
Fishaholic

The best video on YouTube which illustrates what I mean is titled "Jerky J Skipcasting - Barramundi and Mangrove Jack".

The terrain is exactly what we fished .... he uses a baitcaster while we used normal spinning reels.

Kingfish