->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:59 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Penn Clash Spinning reel
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Penn Clash 6000

By now, a lot of us must have heard about the new Clash reel launched by Penn.

This reel has several features which enable it to take the rough punishment meted out to reels that are fished from the shore and in the surf.

The paramount feature is water resistance from the waves that would wet the reel in such locations if one were to be standing in the surf, as well as the ability to shrug off sand blown by the wind whilst on the shore.The reel is sealed with gaskets all around, together with shielded bearings.

The Japanese reels such as the Stradic 8000FJ that I have used for shore fishing are too refined to handle such conditions and I always felt a little nervous using it when it was windy and the salt spray and sand was flying around.

Although the Clash has been launched only a few months ago and I normally do not buy a reel until a year or two after launch, so that any bugs can be sorted out by the manufacturer by then, I bought the Clash 6000 reel to test out here and in India.

First impressions are of a lightweight reel, despite being all metal in construction. This is a distinct advantage if one is casting heavy poppers for long sessions. Furthermore, the robustness gives one confidence that it will handle the normal knocks during usage without dramas.

Secondly, the line capacity of this reel is tremendous:

Braid(lb/yds) ..... 30/490 . 40/390 and 50/335

Mono ( " "). ..... 15/335 . 20/230 and 25/210

Weight ..... 595 gms (21 oz.)

It has the well known HT -100 drag that is smooth and powerful to handle large fish the size of GTs, one more reason that I liked in this reel size.

Furthermore, the internals are quite simple and straightforward enabling routine maintenance and servicing to be done at home.

The pricing is very attractive and much less than other reels in this category. It is for sale in Australia for about $289 if one looks carefully and could be much cheaper elsewhere.

It just remains for me to get some Power Pro loaded onto it and have a go at those big fish that are roaming the ocean a few kilometres from my house!

Couple of pictures below.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Clash 6000 reel - visually attractive in the Penn black and gold livery.
Unfortunately, other pics are too large and can't be resized to print here.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:38 pm 
Fishaholic

I was also waiting for the clash earlier and then bought the Saragosa SW. So far I am extremely happy with Saragosa.
Dinged couple of times on the rocks, dropped in the sand 2 times and has taken surf bath plenty of times. It is a solid reel.
No issues so far, after dropping in sand I immediately put it in fresh water to remove the sand on both occasions before the next cast.
I wish you to catch a fish soon with this reel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Venkat,

Yes, the Saragossa SW (saltwater) is a fantastic reel made for just the type of fishing mentioned above.

I got the Saragossa 5000SW model for lighter fishing and the Clash 6000 for heavier work. It will be interesting to see how these perform over the coming seasons.

What size is your Saragossa ? Are you targeting GTs with it and have you caught any? Your input is valuable.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Further specifications on the Clash 6000 box- this and the 8000 size have metal rotors and fully brass cut gears, both these items are missing in the lighter versions.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Just had a look at the Saragossa 5000 SW cost to me ..... it is also A$ 289 !

So this price is in the popular range here in Australia for heavy duty saltwater reels,apparently.
However, I am sure as time goes on and the "newness" factor for the Clash wears off , it will be discounted further.

Perhaps I may pick up a Clash 8000 then, or maybe the Saragossa 8000 SW? Such dilemmas face us anglers !

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:08 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Hello Venkat,

What size is your Saragossa ? Are you targeting GTs with it and have you caught any? Your input is valuable.

Kingfish

I have the Saragossa SW 8000. I have landed many GT with this reel. After using this reel I am unable to use my earlier Penn ssm reels.
On the very first outing with the reel, I landed a big GT and the report is here

http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5466

Recently landed few more, the report is coming, stay tuned!

Regards,
H.Venkatesan.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Venkat,

Why the Saragossa 8000SW size and not the 10000SW? If I am not wrong, the 10000 SW size and weight is the same as the 8000SW and it has increased line capacity( due to larger spool) as well as a metal rotor.

Any issues since you purchased the reel? such as a loose bail arm (opposite to the roller arm)? Some
user in Australia has raised this point.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:59 am 
Fishaholic

Some more pictures of the Penn Clash 6000, now mounted on the rod and ready to go fishing!

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:16 am 
Fishaholic

Perfect combination for surf fishing -travel rod, Clash 6000 reel and extreme long casting Xrap lures ( single hooks to tackle tough fish, as yet these lures are available in Australia only .... I still have to field test them).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:23 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Venkat,

Why the Saragossa 8000SW size and not the 10000SW? If I am not wrong, the 10000 SW size and weight is the same as the 8000SW and it has increased line capacity( due to larger spool) as well as a metal rotor.

Any issues since you purchased the reel? such as a loose bail arm (opposite to the roller arm)? Some
user in Australia has raised this point.

Kingfish

yes, both weigh the same. Though shimano site lists 8000 as 22 ounce, in the box it is printed as 24.3 and that is what it weighs.
I mainly purchased it for the surf and I had the following considerations

• I will be using the smallest possible braid and I purchased 30 pound braid. If not for the big GTs I would have got 15 or 20 pound.
  • At max I will need 300 yrds of line. I don't wont redundant line on the reel. 10000 size = more unused line.
  • 25 pound drag is more than adequate. The earlier penn ssm had a humble 11 pound drag and I have fought bigger GT. The one I failed to land should be more than 45 Kgs..
  • wanted a compact reel. SW 8000 is no where near compact... I realized after buying and seeing it..

With all of the above considerations 8000 fit more than the 10000 size and I am very happy and confident with the reel..
It perfectly balances my 10 foot rod.
As I said I have dropped it in sand/rock, gave bath in surf so for no issues. It is a great reel.
I am planning to buy one in the 5000/6000 size also.. I would strongly recommend this reel.

Regards,
H.Venkatesan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for your views, Venkat. Makes sense not to use up excess braid, which is not cheap, although one can use more mono backing to negate this issue.

I do have the Saragossa 5000 SW and it looks to be a nice reel, still have to field use it though.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:28 pm 
Fishaholic

I was able to test the Clash 6000 today.

I took it to a nearby bay, where I have caught several species of fish such as tuna,bluefish(tailor) and on one memorable occasion an Australian Kingfish that broke me off by getting into the rocks.

I detail below my impressions of the Clash after actual use.

1. There were absolutely no wind knots ( Penn owners will know what I am saying!) despite my having filled the spool up completely on purpose.

The spool has concentric rings showing 1/3 rd, 2/3 rd and full capacity, so that one always knows the amount of line on the reel.

2. I was easily able to send out 60 yds. casts without any problem on a heavy 12-20 kilo rated travel rod.

3. The automatic bail trip mechanism is made to trip after quite a bit of resistance, on purpose, as there have been innumerable instances where anglers have lost their lures when the bail has closed prematurely whilst casting.

This feature gives you the confidence to really lean into your cast without worrying about losing your lure.

4.Despite being an all metal reel, it was very lightweight and comfortable to handle ( the Clash seems to be the lightest of all metal Penn reels made so far).

5. Retrieving the line was very comfortable due to the big knob on the handle.

The only negative that I find is the cut outs on the spool ( ostensibly to save weight, although I have a sneaking suspicion that the reel manufacturers also do this for cosmetic purposes!).

Although there is a seal on the rotor to keep the water/sand out of the innards of the reel , this still worries me and will have to be watched.

Pictures below.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Penn Clash 6000 contd ....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Where is it Manufactured?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:40 am 
Fishaholic

I believe all Penn reels, barring their top end reels (Torque etc.), are made in China.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:33 am 
Fishaholic

Just a word of caution to would be buyers of Penn reels.

I find that their reel seats are often a difficult or impossible fit on some rods, as the seats are larger and thicker than say those on a Shimano reel.

For example, the Penn 5500 SSV reel seat does not fit my Shimano Beastmaster travel rod, so I cannot use it.

Fortunately, it fits easily onto the Shimano T Curve Revolution series of travel rods.

Good thing I checked before travelling!

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:31 am 
Fishaholic

In my above post, I should have said " reel foot" .

That is, some Penn reel feet do not fit some rod seats.

Apologies for the confusion.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:05 pm 
Fishaholic

The Clash had its first real workout, in Indian waters, whilst I was in Chennai this week.
I met up with Maruthu and later with Vijayfisher for a prolonged session of popping and spinning for barracuda and GTs from the shore.

Although none of us had any strikes, we saw enough jumping barracuda to know that someone is going to luck into them shortly.

The Clash has worked superbly, casting 40-75 gm.lures/poppers without any issues and more importantly, there were zero,repeat zero, wind knots !!
With the friction bail system, there was no problem slinging out the lures without worrying that the bail could close prematurely and result in a lost lure.

The light weight of this reel was a joy after the heavy Penn all-metal reels of yore ... intensive casting over several days did not result in any undue shoulder aches and pains.

The unforgiving shore conditions of salt spray and sand did not affect the action of the reel and a simple rinse in the shower ( with a locked drag) was all that was done maintenance wise, barring oiling of the line roller.

Testimony to the water resistance of the reel was provided by my accidentally dunking the reel for over a minute under saltwater while I was trying to retrieve a snagged lure.

I could not open the reel immediately and had to wait until I returned to Chandigarh today. Yes, there was minute water ingress under the drag and also in the main body of the reel. However, this amounted to hardly a couple of small drops and does not appear to have caused any damage.

There was what appeared to be dried salt on the shaft, which may have got in when the reel was under water and the drag was, of course, not fully tight.

A bit of TLC has been given to the Clash by cleaning up the droplets and the shaft, with oiling and greasing of the vital areas. I do not wish to over pamper the Clash and will leave it as is to see how it fares under normal usage in India with owner care (rather than an annual service with Penn, which one would have done in Australia).

Picture of the Clash innards after the dunking.

Kingfish.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Innards.You can just make out the whitish salt coloration near the middle of the spool shaft.The Clash came reasonably well greased from their factory.

Last edited by kingfish on Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice report on the clash Kingfish!! It would have been better if any of you had got a strike.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Venkat.

We needed you there for extra help to catch the fish !

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:05 am 
Fishaholic

Update

The reel now makes a rasping sound when spinning, although all functions appear to be normal.

I did find water drops on the drag washers and dried and refitted them.

I am taking the Clash back to Sydney and will send it to the Penn service department and let them open it up and see what is causing that rasping noise.

Will post their findings.

However, I have been impressed enough with the Clash to order another 6000 and a 5000 size. No doubt this is a good time to do so, as the price has come down to US$ 165 approx. which equates to a saving of US $ 70 or so per reel.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:29 am 
Fishaholic

Penn Service Dept. returned the reel to me today, after replacing the pinion bearing. The reel still makes the same rasping sound but I am not too worried as it has now been looked at professionally and cleared for usage.

I hope to take it out on an extended trip to the Tiwi Islands coming June for some heavy reef fishing for jewfish, grouper etc. with soft plastics from a boat and popping for some GTs.

I am pleased with the care and service provided by Penn in Australia. The reel was turned around very quickly and sent back to me by courier, free of cost.

It is this type of service and the fact that Penn continuously carry spares for all their reels , unlike some other firms who only stock parts for their reels for 5 years only, that gives me confidence to use their products.

Would I recommend the Clash reel now ? Absolutely ..... just don't dunk it under water!

Over and out.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:00 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Penn Service Dept. returned the reel to me today, after replacing the pinion bearing.

Kingfish

Pinion bearing required replacement after one trip [smilie=boggl3y3dummy-ani.gif], I am worried.

How do you compare your saragosa sw5000 with clash?

Regards,
H.Venkatesan.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:32 am 
Fishaholic

Venkat,

I agree the pinion bearing replacement is a bit of a disappointment. However, in hindsight, I am responsible for this as I should have been more careful and not allowed the reel to be submerged for so long.

There was no harm done to my wallet except for the cost of one way postage to Penn Service and it was good of them to fix the reel under warranty, despite what was clearly something that the reel was not designed for.

I still like the reel as it represents good value for money ( they were selling for US$ 170 each recently) and my review is really keeping the intermediate angler in mind, who wishes to purchase a quality reel for a reasonable cost.

I have not yet had a chance to try out the Saragossa 8000SW but I find it to be heavier than the Clash, so it may be tiring for me to cast for long periods as compared to the Clash 6000. I also wonder how the Saragossa will fare if it was submerged.

The Saragossa 5000SW is a lighter reel but has less capacity than the Clash 6000 and is thus in a different category.

Will post more on the Clash 6000 after further usage, as I wish to monitor its performance over a longer period and under different circumstances.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:36 pm 

Venkat,

If you are looking for Shimano 5000/6000 reel for fishing from beach, Go for Spheros SW 6000. It will hold PE#2 arround 320 meters. Saragosa SW and Speros SW having same body, rotor and spool. Spheros SW and the Saragosa SW are fully sealed reels. In both reels rotor is made of basic plastic and Saragosa SW have more speed than Spheros SW. If you are using some poppers and plugs SpherosSW will give you more pulling power and torque than Saragosa SW. I have used both, I am having a Spheros SW6000 and my friend having a Saragoss SW6000. Spheros SW6000 is lighter than Saragoss SW6000 And Saragoss SW 6000 available in India for 16500 INR and Spheros SW 6000 only 14000 INR.

R!mpo,

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Rimpochey,
currently I have saragosa sw 8000 and it is my workhorse. It balances beautifully with my 10 foot rod.
I am having a idea of having one more lighter setup, but not soon. I will wait till the next season.

Regards,
H.Venkatesan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:31 am 
Fishaholic

Venkat and Rimpochey,

Although I am a keen fan of Shimano reels, having owned dozens of them, I am a bit concerned at recent reports that Shimano may not carry spares for more than 5 years for any particular reel model.

This would make repairs difficult after a reel is discontinued by them.

Just something to keep in mind.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:55 am 
Fishaholic

As a rule, I stay away from any Chinese made reel. I have absolutely no faith in them, no matter what brand they are. I have experienced too many failures.

If you are looking to be economical, Reels made in Thailand, Korea and Vietnam are much better and reliable.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:35 am 
Fishaholic

Quick fix.

As I mentioned before, one of the weaknesses in the Clash reels is the large number of cut outs on the spool, which allows entry of water and sand into the innards of the reel.

As I intend to use my 5000 and 6000 sizes at the beach as well as river beds where there is plenty of sand and spray blown by the wind, I had to think of some way to minimise entry of these elements into the reels.

Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best .... I took some black electrical tape and wrapped it around the cutouts.

It should work well. The tape is unobtrusive and thin enough so that it does not interfere with the operation of the reel, yet strong enough that it will not come off or be punctured easily. Should it need to be replaced, it is a quick, one minute job and the cost is next to nothing.

See picture below.

Kingfish