->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:35 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:10 pm 
Fishaholic

The new version of the Pursuit reel by Penn has come out, superseding the previous model ll.

So what is it about this reel that it has received such good reviews? There are several factors.

Firstly, this is a cheap reel ( in price only), some models can be obtained for US$36 ! The higher range models are still in the $50 range.

One never thought there could be a cheaper reel than the Daiwa BG,yet still be comparable to it in
performance.

Secondly, it is a reel that is light due to its frame and rotor being made of graphite, although the spool and the side plates are of metal.
This makes it a joy to cast with all day without tiring your arms.

Thirdly, and this is the major change from its previous models, it has the superlative HT100 drag which is usually found on the higher model Penns (think Spinfishers and Slammers).

This puts out 15lbs of drag on the size 4000 model, more than adequate for most of our estuary and
boat fishing.

I feel that this is an ideal reel for beginner anglers due to its low cost yet high performance.

It is also a good back up reel for the more advanced anglers on a trip, who can rest easy knowing that if their primary reel malfunctions then they have a decent reel to fall back on.

Furthermore, because of its lightweight this reel would suit the more elderly or physically weaker anglers who have a hard time making numerous casts in a session.

Finally, because it has a graphite body, it can be used for light saltwater angling without fear of rusting.
Just be sure not to dunk it in saltwater and to wash it with freshwater immediately you have ended the days fishing.

Some pictures of the reel and the box (giving specifications and line capacities ).

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Pursuit lll reel.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Kingfish
I was looking to buy an inexpensive reel and for light bait casting for saltwater panfish like croakers and kingfish (kingfish I refer here is the Northern kingfish which is a small croaker like species), and this would be perfect. I will check it out the line lay looks great from your picture.

Cheers,
Binu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Binu,

This should meet your need. And yes, the line lay is excellent straight out of the box with no need for adjusting with shims.

I have not yet had a chance to use the reel, so cannot comment if it will be prone to wind knot issues which plagued some earlier Penn reels (Battle etc.).

However, most of the reviews on YouTube and other media are very positive on this reel.

Good luck on your fishing and do send us a report with pictures of your trips.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Managed to try out this reel fishing at a bay near our house.

Some 30-40 casts were made using lures of about 20-25 gm without any windknots and the line came off smoothly. The retrieval was fast due to the 6.2:1 gear ratio.

However, I did notice that the reel was not very smooth in operation and there seems to be some noise from its shaft. This may disappear after further usage allowing the components to bed in .... but then again it could get worse.

Will keep an eye on this.

Kingfish