->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:50 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Important in Reel???
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi frnds,
I have a doubt in mind that which part is essential while choosing a reel. Some are saying that the more ball bearings in a reel is give free and smooth retrieve and peace of mind. But some anglers saying that gear ratio is important. Well of course you get what you pay. If more money someone is investing then he will get all the benefits. But my question is if someone has less money to spend then what he should look first ball bearing or gear ratio :roll: ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:25 pm 
Fishaholic

gear ratio is what I think would be a better bet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:41 am 
Fishaholic

Ball Bearing is the way to go as Gear Ratio just suggests as how much line is retrieved per handle spin higher the gear ratio more line is retrieved Lower the Gear Ratio vice versa (However Lower Gear Ratio reels gives you the slightest advantage of fish fighting power)...... You can buy any gear ratio reel and either crank up faster or slower to get the desired amount of line in your reel....

With Lesser ball Bearing the reel would not be smooth enough, you can add any amount of lube however it would not be smother than a reel with higher number of ball bearing..

I have a 4 ball bearing reel and a 10 ball bearing reel...The difference is enormous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:52 pm 
Enlightened

which one is good, either full metal body reel or graphite frame?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:11 pm 
Fishaholic

use digital chaina reel....... the reel will handel the fish...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Depending on the type of fishing you are intending to do and the type of fish you are targeting you should choose either a full metal body or graphite body reel.

I would pick up a full metal body reel for saltwater application as I am not sure of the size of the fish that I may hook. Graphite rotor tends to flex under heavy tension. Places in saltwater where you are sure that you would not hook into a monster a graphite body reel would do the job.

Mostly for all fresh water application a graphite body reel would be enough until you are after the big mama's of the mighty mahasheer.

Hope the above 2 cents helps.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Digital china reels are interesting however it does not give me the thrill of fishing.

As the only thing that you do with a digital reel is to bait the hook and set the motor at right speed....you do not fight the fish, you do not use your judgement or skill to land the fish.....

So as an angler just not my cup of tea....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:21 pm 
Fishaholic

aren't reels with more ball bearings more expensive than ones with lesser ball bearings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am 
Fishaholic

Absolutely...... reels with more ball bearings are more expensive than ones with lesser ball bearings..

You need to fix your budget for the reel and than search for all the options that you have and than check out for the number of ball bearings all of them has and depending on the type of fishing you are doing whether you want to go with all metal or mix of both metal and graphite....Likewise narrow down to a couple and than go through the reviews of those particular reels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:03 pm 
Enlightened

@christopher it was really great info.
penn sargus 6000 which is full metal body and shakespeare sigma 2200 (6000 size) which is graphite body rotor spool sideplates are metal
sargus has 5+1 sealed ball bearing and sigma has 7+1 sealed ball bearing ..
both of them having 20 lbs drag.. which one to choose?
gng for 6000 size reel bcoz it shud be useful for saltwater as well mahseer in cauvery...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Good advice by Chris. check out all options available within the budget and then zero in on one that has more specifications that are liked by the angler like bearings, metal body, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:21 pm 
Fishaholic

@fishmiss, I guess penn would be a better option, however the only reason I would think so is metal is more durable than graphite. Awaiting Chris's response though as he would have a more solid explanation on which reel and why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Omesh....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:18 am 
Fishaholic

Sorry for the delay guys, Friday 13th was bad... :cry:

@Fishmiss - Again it totally boils down to the type of fishing that you are intending to do. If you going after the big saltwater species go with the Penn Sargus as you would not be able to trust the 20 lb drag in a graphite body the reel just would not take it as in high pressure graphite would flex.... In the other fishing site people keep talking about the SHIMANO SARAGOSA 8000 flexing :shock: , so with a graphite body sigma would not handle it.

However if you intended to target species which are not huge go with the sigma as that would be smoother than the sargus....(Commenting thinking only the Sigma has good reviews, as has never researched for Sigma).

I had a Cabela Saltstriker which had 7 ball bearing some time back, the reel was extremely smooth and enjoyed fishing with it....However whenever I was not sure of what was lurking beneath would use my full metal bodied reel..

At the end of the Day we need to balance out everything and get the reel that would do the job

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:34 pm 

If you are only on shore, don't think there are loads of big fish that can flex a good quality branded graphite body reel. From what I have seen, its the maintenance or the lack of it that finishes a reel, be it metal/graphite, 1 bearing/100s. Pick any of the reels as suggested here, but be sure to maintain it after every outing, will go a long way to keep the reel in good condition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:51 pm 
Fishaholic

I personally tested the drag setting of Sargus 8000 and found that the drag only when up to 20lb and not to 25lb(stated in the product), Have anyone tested the drag of your spinning reels and found them less performing in the drag?

Ezek