->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:58 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Quries About the reel
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:08 am 

Hi Peeps,

I am still trying to get familiar with the equipment. I need help with the reel and the new line i need to purchase,

I notices there are 2 sets of numbers on the reel m/mm and lbs/yds

m/mm: 400/0.20, 225/0.25, 180/0.30
lbs/yds 6/420, 8/310, 10/280

What exactly the represent and how would that help me buy the line. Or which line should i go for fishing Small Trout fish using spinners

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:00 pm 
Fishaholic

m/mm --> How many meters (m) of that particular diameter (mm) line, the reel can hold.

example: 400/0.20 ----> the reel will hold 400 metes of 0.20 mm diameter line...

But this does not indicate the strength of the line.. But one can assume the strength form the diameter. Bigger the diameter greater the strength of the line

lbs/yds--> this specification tells about the number of yards (1 yard = 3 feet) of line, the reel can hold for a particular breaking strength.
example: ---> 6/420 --> this reel will hold 420 yards of 6 pound breaking strength line...
Higher the breaking strength bigger the diameter and hence will hold less line...

We can also equate diameter to breaking strength
here are a few rough values

6lb = .20mm
8lb = .23mm
10lb = .26mm
14lb = .31mm

Though I have not fished for Trout, 6lb line will be more than suffice...

Hope this helps

Regards,
H.Venkatesan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:35 pm 

h_venkatesan wrote:
m/mm --> How many meters (m) of that particular diameter (mm) line, the reel can hold.

example: 400/0.20 ----> the reel will hold 400 metes of 0.20 mm diameter line...

But this does not indicate the strength of the line.. But one can assume the strength form the diameter. Bigger the diameter greater the strength of the line

lbs/yds--> this specification tells about the number of yards (1 yard = 3 feet) of line, the reel can hold for a particular breaking strength.
example: ---> 6/420 --> this reel will hold 420 yards of 6 pound breaking strength line...
Higher the breaking strength bigger the diameter and hence will hold less line...

We can also equate diameter to breaking strength
here are a few rough values

6lb = .20mm
8lb = .23mm
10lb = .26mm
14lb = .31mm

Though I have not fished for Trout, 6lb line will be more than suffice...

Hope this helps

Regards,
H.Venkatesan

Hi,

Thanks that is very informative. I tried looking for line on couple of sites. All is a getting is CAPEr lan 4x4 200 meter and it is asking for size the options are 12/100, 16/100 guage. Not sure why that means and is it the right line.

And one more question what is with this site and caper lan. It autometa Cally says Abu grecia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Did you looked at our Indian Angler Shop? Contact Bops (IA admin) he will ship the items anywhere in India. I have seen Abu Garcia reels in some sports shop here in Bangalore, but it is an unheard reel in angling community.. Get quality reels like AbuGarcia, Penn or Shimano..