->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:48 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:51 am 
Fishaholic

New breed of spinning reels

The US firms of Pflueger, Finnor and Penn have released new reels that will be of interest to anglers.

Their new philosophy seems to be to place these reels at very affordable prices (between $90-100) and yet load them with the desirable features of all metal bodies,being braid friendly and with some staggering drag capacities.
Sounds too good to be true... so I decided to check them out.

At present,I have the Pflueger 50 SW Salt under test. I was lucky to pick this up on a special at A$ 99! locally, this being a reel that has been made exclusively for the Australian market and meant to handle the "tougher" saltwater fishing conditions here.

Presumably, Pflueger feel that far more saltwater fishing is done in Australia than freshwater fishing (correctly) and their reel would have to have more "guts" than, say ,for countries  where the reel would only see occasional saltwater exposure.

The reel has an all metal body with a metal rotor,an important point when some manufacturers state "all metal body",where the rotor is actually made of plastic which could flex and cause problems under the maximum drag
pressures the reels are capable of.

5 stainless steel ball bearings, stainless steel main shaft,heavy duty bail arm,infinite anti reverse and a drag capacity of 10 kilos! completes the package.

It also has a  line capacity of 305 yds. of 30 lb braid and a reasonably fast gear ratio of 5.6:1. The weight is 559 grams but the reel feels much lighter in use ,to me personally.

At present, I have it mounted on a 10 ft. 6-10 kilo rod and have taken it out several times to a bay with deep water, where there is every chance of
hooking jewfish upto 20kilos and kingfish of reasonable sizes, besides the odd tuna ,tailor and Australian salmon.

The reel is smooth to use and imparts good action to metal lures, which
have to be retrieved at speed to entice the kingfish.I definitely do not feel under gunned with the reel and feel that I could handle a decent sized shark with it ...it is a confidence factor.

At home, a simple mist spray of fresh water (with fully locked drag) suffices to take off the salt on the reel and then the reel gets a light spray of Inox  when it has dried.

With this simple routine, my reels have stayed rust free for years and I do not see any reason why the Salt 50SW should be any different, despite the all metal body.

The reel still has to be blooded, although I had a massive swirl last night behind my lure but no hookup.

Fingers crossed!

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:07 pm 
Fishaholic

In continuation, as loading pictures is so easy now ..... here is a picture of this reel.

I find this reel to be quite good value for money.

However, it is only available in Australia.

Kingfish

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:43 pm 
Fishaholic

@Kingfish the reel that you have is actually built by the same manufacturing company which builts Penn reels, its just cosmetic changes that they do and name the reel differently, this reel should be having same features of penn fierce & penn sargus.
branding is done just to improve sales by the same manufacturer.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:58 pm 
Fishaholic

@RaMpEr

Nice to hear from you.

You are quite right about the manufacturer and I had heard similar things prior to purchasing the Salt reels.

However, I do have the Penn Fierce and it is too skimpy with a plastic rotor to compare with the Salt all metal body..... perhaps the Penn Battle would be a better comparison.

However, I own several Battles and have had trouble with their line lay and consequent wind knots,a problem universally known resulting in Penn making the Battle 2 model to,presumably,correct this fault.

There have been no such issues with the Salt model and it has been thoroughly put through the grinder by Aussie fishos and come out with a decent reputation.

I have luckily been able to pick up 2 Salt reels, each for A$ 99 and find them to be tremendous value for money.

The Sargus was a very good reel but is sadly not being made anymore.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:51 am 
Fishaholic

@kingfish

the above reel has the body of sargus and spool of fierce , looking at the reel, it just looked like sargus with a different spool.
i do own a penn sargus 6000 it never gave me any wind knots, on other hand penn ssv 5500 has always given me wind knots on braided line, all though the reel feels better than sargus

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:48 am 
Fishaholic

@RaMpEr

By the way, what are your impressions of the Penn 5500 ssv ? Interested to know as I also have this reel in a size 4500 but have yet to use it.

Are you happy with its drag ? Have you switched to monofilament line because of the wind knot issue with this reel? What type of fish have you caught with it?

As you can see in below picture, I have it spooled with 30 lb Power Pro braid.

Regards,
Kingfish

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:36 am 
Fishaholic

@Kingfish

yes the penn ssv 5500 is the perfect size reel for saltwater fishing it takes around 250mts of 50lb braid ( 0.34mm) unfortunately it was wind knot magnet, out of box, when i spooled it with braid i got a uneven formation, so i removed 2 plastic shims from under the spool and i had it perfectly spooled. as i was losing a lot of braid, i spooled it with 0.45mm daiwa mono 27kg breaking strength.
and use this reel exclusive of live bait fishing.
the drag of this reel is very smooth, i have landed a few mangrove jacks and barramundi on it, in fact last night i hooked on 3kg barramundi, which for some reason fought a bit longer than expected and gave a good fight, as i was using mono and the hook was tied directly to the main line, i had to play the fish, so the drag setting was kept around 2kg and after a few good runs the fish was safely landed, made sure that the barra did not jump out of water.
coming back to the reel, i use different size lures from 13gm to 40gms, and for some reasons the knots were more with lighter lures 13gms/22gms.
overall would rate the reel 3 out of 5.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:23 pm 
Fishaholic

@RaMpEr,

Many thanks for your prompt feedback on the Penn 4500ssv, nothing like a review from a fellow angler as compared to blurbs by vested interests.

I also found that the lighter weight lures tended to cause wind knots in the Penn Battle.

So it will now be mono line on my 4500ssv after unspooling the existing 30lb braid !

Tragedy,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:05 am 
Fishaholic

Lighter lures causes more wind knot because, the line is not lied tight while reeling in. During the next cast it causes line to come out in loops resulting in wind knot.
Same will happen during popping if you do not reel in the slack line tight. What I do with lighter lures/slack line is pinch the line and reel in tight. This will avoid wind knot.
I would say wind knot is mostly because of user error.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:33 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Venkat,

Thank you for the explanation and also the tip on keeping the line tight when reeling in.

However, I have found that this wind knot issue seems to be more prevalent with some reel models,
such as the Penn Battle and now it seems with the Penn SSV reels (see RaMpEr posts above), as well.
Whereas, other makes of reels have not caused any such problems despite making hundreds of casts with similar line and lures.

It also begs the question why it seems to happen with braided line and not with mono line,using the same reel?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:02 pm 
Fishaholic

It is because of the very nature of mono. Mono will not grab, it will just slide. On the other hand bride will grab every thing.
I would suggest you to continue with braid, but care to reel in tight every time and you should seed far less to nil wind knots.
Also adjust the shims to get a perfect line lay as it matters with wind knot. From the pic line lay in your reel is good.
Also a good swivel should be used to prevent line twist.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:37 pm 
Fishaholic

I agree with what you are saying.... however, it is just an extra complication to adjust to line management (by pinching the braid) for one reel and not for the other. I also feel that this may make it difficult for popper work or "walk the dog" lure action.

I will simply put mono on the troublesome reels and keep the others loaded with braid,that way I should not have to change any patterns when reeling in ..... keep things simple.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:56 pm 
Fishaholic

One more thing is to make sure that the roller bearing is functioning properly. Sometimes, there might be some dirt/sand/salt/rust stuck in there which may not allow the roller bearing to function properly. In which case, the bearing has to be cleaned and has to be added with anti corrosion lubes (note that WD40 is not a lube).

Maruthu

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:40 pm 
Fishaholic

i try and keep all my spinning reel spooled up full, but for some reason peen reels its a problem, even my penn sargus i could not use a complete spool had to cut couple of meters of braid to avoid wind knots.
seen the same thing happen to penn battle which my friend uses.
pinching of line for every cast is just extra effort, and a big problem when you have to cast in hurry when there is feeding i dont have any problems of wind knots on daiwa/shimano reels.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:24 pm 
Fishaholic

@Kingfish: Last week I had the opportunity to use a brand new Penn Spinfisher V 4500 size reel. It is my friends reel and it is filled with Berkley Nanofil.
First day my friend was using it against wind and every other cast he was getting a wind knot. I suggested him to replace the swivel with a better one.
Second day I was mostly using the reel with a SPRO swivel and against very steady wind. I casted continuously for more than an hour and I did not got
any wind knot and I did not pinch the line either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:26 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Venkat,

It was good to hear from you.Your friend confirmed the general view that some Penn models are prone to forming wind knots.

It was a brilliant idea by you to try the SPRO swivel and resolve the wind knot issue.I will ensure I pick these swivels and use them exclusively.

I hope others read your post as it will be of tremendous help for them if they have wind knot issues with their reels.

Kind regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:24 pm 
Fishaholic

@venkat can you tell which lure u were using and the weight ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:42 pm 
Fishaholic

I was testing few lures which I made. Each of them weigh 20grms.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:59 pm 

Check This one..It helped me to avoid wind knots.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/ ... ind-knots/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:46 am 
Fishaholic

I am pleased to report that yesterday I tried out the Spinfisher 4500 SSV reel, which was mated to an 8 ft. St.Croix Triumph rod.This was a nice setup and I spent nearly half an hour flinging a metal lure to distances of 50-70 meters, without any wind knots.

I did pinch the line initially after each cast to take up the slack coils and I used a reasonable quality Black Magic snap swivel.

After gaining confidence in the reel, I switched to a much lighter Lucky Craft 110 SP Flash Minnow lure and am pleased to advise that there were no wind knots using the technique of taking up the slack coils with a pinched finger, letting go only when the lure began its action in the water.

The resistance of the lures when tracking through the water is enough, I find, to straighten the line enabling one to then reel in the normal manner.

My thanks to Venkat and all the others for their input in this matter.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:38 pm 
Fishaholic

It is good to hear the wind knot issue is solved. I once again iterate, Wind knot is mainly due to user error.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:33 pm 
Fishaholic

h_venkatesan wrote:
It is good to hear the wind knot issue is solved. I once again iterate, Wind knot is mainly due to user error.

No wonder, I get lots of them wind knots....

I say the same for backlashes with conventional reels :wink:

Maruthu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:39 am 
Fishaholic

I do wish to clarify that the wind knot problem has manifested itself with the Penn reels that I own and I have not had this issue with my Shimano and Daiwa reels.

The usage technique has been the same for all the reels.

It does seem from my experience and that of @ RaMpEr,as well as others on various fishing forums around the globe, that the Penn reels are more susceptible to wind knots.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:33 pm 

Here is a modification you can make to greatly minimize wind knots. Drag knobs with square and high ears initiate wind knots. This is because on the previous cast, the line can catch on it causing flawed spooling of the first wrap of line during retrieval. If you fair down the ears on the drag knob and smooth it out with body putty or epoxy putty you will go a long ways to eliminating wind knots ( Information courtesy- High Plains Drifter,Stripers Online Forums )

Me and my 4 friends are usually do the fishing together, So some time we swap our tackles with others, If i am using my tackles i am getting wind knots like zero if the same tackles used by my friends they will get wind knots for every 10 casts. So i am agreeing with Venkitshan that most of the wind knots reasons are user error.

R!mpo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:41 am 
Fishaholic

After going through the various methods of resolving the wind knot issue, each of which involves either a modification to one's reeling in technique or a modification to the reel (drag knob) or the terminal end (expensive swivels), I was keen to find if there was another way out of this problem.

I took the Penn Battle 3000 reel which was giving me horrendous wind knots, cut off about a half of the braid line on the spool and joined it with a double uni knot to 10lb rated monofilament line and then top loaded until the spool was filled ( about 80 meters or so).

I can now cast lures without worrying about wind knots developing in the mono line and still have the extra yardage capacity provided by the underlay of the braided line, in case I need it.

This way, I solve two problems in one go ....no wind knots plus increased line capacity (which would not be possible if I had mono only on the spool).

The only downside is that I have a 10lb line at the business end ( rather than 20 lb if I had braid ) but if one plays a fish carefully then this is not really an issue.

As the Rule of 3 states, one can catch a fish of 30 lb. on the 10 lb. line .... good enough for me!

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:19 pm 

K-guide concept. There's a video on YouTube on the formation of wind knots and how the K-guides counter it.