->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:18 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: trolling rod
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Looking for a good trolling rod to match with finnor lethal LT 100 spinning reel, looking for a rod with good backbone and should handle 20kg drag without snapping.

Post subject: Re: trolling rod
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:17 pm 
Fishaholic

What are you trolling for with such heavy drags?

Anyhow, look up Ugly Stik Bluewater rods. They have 2 rods ( spin version) rated at 24 and 37 kilos line rating, one piece and 5 ft. 6in long ,also one that is 7 ft. long.

These would be suitable, especially as their price is reasonable enough to complement the Lethal 100,
giving you a good, tough outfit that should last forever.

Good luck.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:22 pm 
Fishaholic

we troll on lock down drag for gag groupers, and we have got guys over 80lb easy and has averge weight of 30lb guys, which are difficult to handle with a rod which is soft, seen some strong jigging rods snapped.
was looking for something strong and durable

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:54 pm 
Fishaholic

@kingfish

amazon, dosent ship this rod to india, have been thinking of using 1 piece jigging rod any suggestions, between just received the lethal 100 the reel is quite strong, dead lifted 20lb dumbbell directly with the reel, gonna use it for popping also, as for shimano saragosa, spheros is concerned as budget popping outfit reel, it think the new one are not at all good the drag is very sticky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx9rK0UIvSY

saw how they lose a big fish on sticky drag of saragosa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:13 am 
Fishaholic

@RaMpEr

It seems the Uglystik Bluewater series are available in Australia only.

I had recommended this rod as its price was in keeping with the cost of the Lethal 100. Using the same criteria, I suggest the Uglystik Tiger Lite jigging rod, cost is US$ 70 and it seems to be a very tough
one piece rod .

It is available from "Tackl.....Direc ...."(don't wish to break forum rules) but the freight charges will jack up the landed cost to you to around US$200 or so! Perhaps you can have a family member or friend bring it for you? or look for something in Singapore ?

My sole concern with the Lethal 100 is whether it's drag is progressive ? If you see my review of the Lethal 60 that I bought, it's drag only starts functioning after several turns of the knob and then comes on very strongly towards the end ..... not conducive for playing a fish !

Hope I have been able to be of help.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Kingfish

its true you get to use 90% of your drag in the last rotation, but i think its a good thing to adjust your drag in last rotation to stop big fish, with just minor clicks to know how much drag is on, this feature is there in daiwa crosscast 5000ld type of reels to put maximum drag with just few turns.

use some heavy weight like 10lb dumbbell or something to know your drag settings on the reel.
now the reel comes with extra shims, so i managed to have a very good line lay on my reel with some adjustment on shims, how is the line lay on lt 60 ?
the washer which come with the reel is bit thick, which caused the line lay problem, using the thinnest shim solves the problem, after you remove the thick washer., and the drag is also not progressive in the end try it use the most thinnest shim that comes with the reel
anyways found a good quality jigging rod locally of pioneer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:13 am 
Fishaholic

Line lay on the LT 60 is ok. Will have to get used to the non- progressive drag, though.

Glad you picked up a suitable rod locally.

Now for some pictures and trip reports from you using the new gear!

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Gag Grouper in India ??.

Jeen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:58 pm 
Fishaholic

jeen wrote:
Gag Grouper in India ??.

Jeen

Jeen,

I thinik it is the Malabar Grouper.

I've lost a lot of big groupers while fishing from the rocks in the west coast :-(

But, I doubt the ones I've lost were anywhere over 12 kilos....

Maruthu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:11 am 
Fishaholic

jeen/maruthu

whats the maximum size a malabar grouper grows to ?
we have caught groupers while trolling from 1kg to 35 kg with average size being between 10kg to 15kg and above, and yes the color pattern and spots has been different also some being light spotted, and some of the them dark spotted.
we have also got goliath groupers also which have tormented some of the fishing spots snapping mono line upto 1mm while fisihing on live bait.
some locals use cycle brake cable to fish for this big groupers,
kindly share your thoughts

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:25 am 
Fishaholic

this grouper was caught 2 years back, but its during the monsoon that due to some reason groupers start floating belly up, this big guy was landed, anyways nobody in Goa, has the equipment to land this size grouper [smilie=coolup.gif]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:44 am 
Fishaholic

Ram,

I think the fish you are talking about is a Malabar grouper. The maximum published weight of this fish is 150 Kg. So no doubts about the size of these fish. The biggest grouper I have seen being fought and landed beside me while lure fishing was just above 30 kg by my friend on a hand line on a live croaker from Mandva jetty Mumbai.

Gag and goliath are not from our ocean. Both are Atlantic fish. Please ref http://www.fishbase.org/search.php

For any doubt on fish Id this is a very reliable source. They also give local names along with scientific, common and regional language names.Hope this helps

Cheers
Jeen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:03 pm 
Fishaholic

jeen

thanks for the info, between the grouper in above pic weigh around 250 kg +, there are some of them so old and alive that they have got mussels growing on their body, which are visible during low tide in certain rivers in goa.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Ram,

If that grouper in the pic is 250 Kg then we could be talking about this fish common name giant grouper

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/Species ... nt+grouper

Jeen