->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:09 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Indian Anglers,

What are your views in comparing the above manufacturers of fishing reels? Which do you prefer?
Why?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:16 am 
Fishaholic

Population of India is over 1 billion. Nearly 5000 members on this forum.

Yet not a single reply .... any other smaller Asian country would have a gaggle of replies on their fishing forums. I won't even mention how stimulating are the Western forums.

Is it lack of interest or our sheer laziness? I wonder.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:20 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Kingfish,

I do not think Indians are known for their pursuit of sporting or leisure activity. From the time we are young the things that are drilled in are education, education and education ending up with a job that is either a Doctor, Engineer, Lawyer or Pilot or to join the family business. Fishing is frowned upon and looked at as wasting your life away and meant for looses. It is sad but true, I remember I was always told that you will have enough of time to pursue fishing when I retire and get old...as you get older you realise you cannot do the things you used to as easily as you could when you are younger...good thing I never listened to that advice :lol: :lol: :lol:

My favourite Reel Manufacturer is Diawa. Daiwa, has never let me down and I have never had the same niggles I experienced with Penn and Shimano. Of course I am talking about non Chinese Manufactured reels (all 3 makes). All the Daiwa reels I have bought still work and can catch fish, for that matter my Penns and Shimanos too but I have never had those small niggles I experienced with the Penns and the Shimano, though I must mention that these niggles are superficial and never affected their fish catching ability.

Bobby

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:53 am 
Fishaholic

I have not yet used Diawa reels, but I have experience with both Shimano and Penn reels.
I will never buy a Penn reel again, I feel they are cheaply made and are inferior in comparison with Shimano reels.
I have Shimano Saragosa and a couple other shimano reels with me for few years now and have caught plenty of fish, even dropped the saragosa few times in shore sand accidently.
I wash it only at the end of the trip and not every day. So for there is no need for me to open or service the reel, it is still fresh as new.
on the other hand the if it were a penn it would have corroded heavily by now, I am speaking with experience from my Penn ssm reels.

Regards,
H.Venkatesan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank God, finally some replies.....although these are from the esteemed forum moderators. I wish more
of our members could contribute their opinions.

These 3 brands are the most common amongst the angling crowd, so I am sure a lot of our members have one or the other reel and have an opinion on it.

No need to be scared, just let us have your honest views.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby and Venkat,

I have reels from all three manufacturers.

When I first started angling, it was in the 1970s and the market was captured basically by US reels
such as Zebco. The Abu reels from France had a strong presence and were excellent reels that gave me good service.

However, the cream of the crop were the Cardinal reels made in Sweden and these were simply superb.
Smooth and of superlative quality .... I still have several lying around the house.

However, my angling at that time was confined to freshwater only (being in Canada).

The first Japanese reel that I purchased ca. 1980 was a Daiwa GS6, there were no other Japanese reels at that time and I had not heard of Shimano anywhere.

Penn made good baitcasting reels and I did have one for trolling at that time, remember catching Lake Trout using wire line on that reel. However, no spinning reels were in the shops from that stable, at least none that I can recall.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:46 pm 
Fishaholic

It was only when I moved to Australia and tried saltwater angling with my freshwater reels from Canada
(ruining some of them because I did not know the proper procedure for cleaning them to stop rust) that
I realised that I would have to rebuild my inventory of reels.

Shimano was the most famous name at that time and their reels were good but the clincher was their
superlative service ($20 a reel plus parts as required ) with a quick turnaround within days AND a
10year warranty on their reels.

Daiwa had good reels (Certate, Saltiga) that were great performers but I found their service to be expensive ($50 per reel plus parts) and they took a far longer time than Shimano.

I did not buy any Penn reels until about 2005, I believe the first ones were Slammer 3000 made in the
USA. Excellent quality but heavy because of their metal construction. I did not need to send them for servicing as the innards were/are simple to maintain at home and parts are readily available, even for reels going back decades.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:51 pm 
Fishaholic

The situation now is:

I still buy Shimano reels but am worried by their changing models very quickly, as a consequence there
is a lingering doubt whether spare parts will be available for models that are only a few years old.

Daiwa again make great reels but their servicing cost and turnaround time is a worry.

Penn were handicapped by heavy reels but the Clash model is quite light yet robust, so I am partial
towards them and I can service the reels myself.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Kingfish,

I had an obsessive habit of collecting fishing tackle, especially reels.

Abu (Garcia) reels were made in Sweden, the Cardinal reel you are referring to is actually an Abu model. The French reel manufacturer was Mitchel. I remember when I was very young the most popular reels were the French Mitchel 402, 403...models, the next was the German reel Dam then Abu and shakespear. Penn was also a reel that came in a little late and there was Daiwa. Quantam reels were unheard of at that time in the Bombay fishing scene.

I have a quite a few reels from various manufacturers and all of them have worked well these are some makes that I still have Daiwa, Shimano, Ryobi, shakespear, Quantam/Zebco, Silstar, Fin-nor, Everol, Penn, Penn International, Abu, Mitchel, Van Stall, I even think I have an old Hardy spinning reel somewhere. I have a really old Daiwa that was a copy of the Mitchel 400 series, I remember I had to open and repair this reel when I first got it. I have to look through my reels to see if this one is still there as I think one of my cousin's son had borrowed it. Of all these reels the Ryobi was the most problematic.

After using all these reels that can still catch fish, I have absolutely no faith in any Chinese made reels, I very recently (about 2 months ago) bought a Japanese Made reel of an unknown brand claiming to have a 35KG drag, some say it is made in China others say Japan, after gave it a real looking over. I bought another 2 of the largest ones and gifted them to a couple of my friends. I also bought one of the smallest models, I used the small one just once, it performed really well but without catching any fish so I was not really tested. The reel is ultra smooth the only reel that I have seen to rival the Daiwa GS9 for smoothness in the wind. Let's see, I will update you all after these reels are tested hard with some large GTs, there are 4 of them to be worked over so we will get a good report.

Bobby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Bobby,

Yes, you are correct, the French manufacturer was Mitchell and I have their various reel models such
as the 402 and the 403 in my collection. Still in good working condition, by the way!

Waiting for your test reports on your latest acquisitions!

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:04 am 
Fishaholic

I just picked up a Shimano stradic 3000 and I love it. From the above 3 Shimano gets my vote too.
But for sheer ruggedness nothing can beat a Van Staal. They sure don't lay line as nice as a shimano, don't cast well like those long distance casting reels, and are not smooth to reel, but I know the reel wont let me down. My VS200 I think is the reel that I have fished the most from the surf. I have dunked it many times while wading in the water, and dropped it in sand while unhooking fish etc. Its been going strong for more than 9 years now. I have their service kit and service it once in 2 years or so, and it is still perfect other than some minor scratches. I have no doubt it would still be working fine 10 years from now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:26 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Binu,

The Van Staal are undoubtedly good reels. I believe that they are primarily surf fishing reels and are not well known (or obtainable) outside the USA ..... I have not seen any in Australia as yet!

Summer is upon you, are you surf fishing for stripers with the Van Staal ?

Kingfish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:30 am 
Fishaholic

Unfortunately, Van Stall also makes their reels in China now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:05 am 
Fishaholic

@Kingfish, Summer is looking good for bluefish, flounder and some bass. Most bass would have moved North though, but fishing for bass should pick in fall. I would be fishing for blues till then.
I know it’s winter for you now, is fishing slow now?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:08 am 
Fishaholic

@Bobby,
It’s true they are made in China now, but they’re quality seem to be as good as the American made ones .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:47 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Binu, For me, China made reels are like buying a lottery, you get lucky sometimes :lol: :lol: . I almost bought the Van Stall VR50 I think it was, but chickened out when I realised it was made in China, they are stunning to look at and the Mag Seal is really good I hear and I understand you second that from your post. I could not justify paying $500 for a reel made in China. Perhaps they are as good as you say they are, I understand that the Warrant repairs and servicing takes place in the US, so may be they are that good. But Van Stall does not have a life time warranty on these reels like they did with the old US models, the one I have. You have used both so you would know better. Who knows, one day I may gather the courage and get one :oops:

But I tell you what, the Daiwa Saltiga in my opinion is the best spinning reel in the world. I have the expedition, I am going to get the Dogfight.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:21 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Binu,

Yes, it is winter in Australia and the fishing is slow. Haven't done any fishing myself for a while now due to travel etc.

Hope you catch some big blues and we will be looking forward to your reports.

Kingfish