->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:10 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:07 pm 
Fishaholic

flyhigh... srinivas ,arish , and any kind soul fro hyd' please assist me with the contact details of the fisheries dept over there so i can purchase murrel fingerlings.... srini .. you said that they are available at rs 2 a piece.. in your post.

i am really keen on purchasing the same .. so please send me the contact numbers, addresses and relavant contact names. so i can do the needful.. i have access to a facility where they will be reared to about palm size and then released into our water ways here.. same is also being done for mahseer.. thru an ngo.please assist as this will not be a one time case but will be on going from time to time. thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:36 pm 
Fishaholic

There is a website of Andhra Pradesh Fisheries Department, i got the below contact details from the website. Sharing it just for information.

COMMISSIONER & DIRECTOR
Department of Fisheries,
Government of Andhra Pradesh,
Shanthinagar, 4th Street, Masab tank, Hyderabad
Phone (Off) 091-040- 23308585/ 86, Fax: 040-23376256
E-mail: comfish@rediffmail.com, Url: http://www.apfisheries.com

If you need more information let me know. The fisheries department just 5mins drive from my home.

Regards
Arish :P

ps @admin n mods: if sharing the contact details is not allowed feel free to remove them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:27 am 
Fishaholic

arish mian... i wrote to u guys only after i checked the above address and tel nos out.. the phone as usual with govt institutions is engaged...

if u dont mind me troubling u .. could you walk down to these guys and make an inquiry for me..since u stay 5 mins away.. i would greatly appreciate it..
thanks and God bless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:12 pm 
Fishaholic

How many do you want ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:11 pm 
Fishaholic

1000 initially. they at not required immediately.. i will update when .. will also make a trip to check stuff out or someone may come instead.. thanks salim. an as with all good things .. there is still some planning and organizing to be done .. so i will inform accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:43 pm 
Fishaholic

No problem, i will go and inquire about the details of murrel fingerlings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:02 am 
Fishaholic

thanks arish.. much appreciated..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Visited fisheries department an hour ago. Most of the officers on charges are on strike for the demand of Telangana state and was told to come later. But when I told them that I come for important work for the conservation of murrels on behalf of Pune based organisation, then they reacted positively asked to give them my contact and they will let me know when the business is back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:21 am 
Fishaholic

thanks Arish.. i would require you to get the contact names and numbers of some of the decision makers there and the cost per piece of the murrel fingerlings. also now that you have told them what you have mentioned above.. dont speak too much more.. im sure (them being govt guys..) they are on the lookout to make some extra cash on the side. most guys like like any kind of project .. gives them opportunity to try some money making stunts.. all you need to talk about is that the rate of the fingerlings the availability and the contact details and names..(tell them the concerned person will contact them) pass it on to me and i''ll take it from there .. your assistance is really valuable and i truly thank you for the same..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Ok Hamour your points are noted. Will be careful now. Actually they sell these fingerlings for medical purposes. Murrel fingerlings are considered as medicine for asthma patients and are administered annually in a mass gathering(for more information check this link http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes ... h-medicine). The man whom I spoke had a very friendly nature but he was not a decision maker and told me he will let me know when the officers on charge of the duties are back into business. Business will be back in 2 or 3 days depending on the situation. Also told that the knowledge of the price and the availability rests with the respective officers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:33 pm 
Fishaholic

ok arish... thanks.. i am aware that they use the fry for a herbal asthma cure.. please find out if the yhave channa marulius fry and channa striata fry.. also ask about the availability of rotifers... ( they are tiny zooplankton... that small fish will eat..) thanks for the ongoing assistance..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:02 pm 
Fishaholic

hey arish.. bro.. any updates from the guys at the fisheries dept..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Hamour sorry to reply late, have been waiting for the call but didn't receive call, so I decided to go today and inquire again personally. The answer was same that the staffs are still on strike. Office is looking deserted as before, then I told him at least you say something about the availability of murrell fingerling and its price but he told he is an accountant and he have no knowledge on it, the knowledge rest with the respective officers on duty. However last week Basharath(another Hyderabadi angler) was planning to go to one of the distant fish market, this market is also known to bring murrell fingerlings in tanks load of water. I requested him to inquire there about the fingerlings, he was kind enough and he looked everywhere in the market and could not find a single stall selling fingerlings. He then inquired with one fisherman, this fisherman directed him to go to Nellore for fingerlings are available there. He also inquired about the price and answer was 2-3rs a piece.

This is the information I bought it for you today. Hope this helps you. The journey in search of murrel fingerlings are still on... :D

Regards
Arish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:42 pm 
Fishaholic

extremely grateful ..for your sincere efforts arish.. thanks is not enough.. i have friend who go up and down to hyd'bad nellore etc.. will ask them to follow up.. God help the those sad chaps at the fisheries.. my bro in sec'bad also says the same thing.. they are always on strike.. owing to telangana issue..anyway.. will use your lead.. as with all things here in india.. it may be a long and ardurous process.. but in time hopefully things should get moving.. once again many thanks and best regards .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank you very much Arish! project murrel if succesful! will really change the fishing around this place, the only thing is which stretch to breed them as they have a big price and the local fisherman wont think twice before they can remove as many possible.

Regards,

Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:34 pm 
Fishaholic

i was wondering how much time a murrel fingerling takes to grow to the 1kg mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:38 am 
Fishaholic

in controlled stocking ponds.. about 10 months.. the purpose of the fingerlings are going to be experimental innitially.. the fisheries dept.. here dont stock them.. the only do the RCC mix.. that to substandard i hear .. at times. some lakes these nuts have introduced big head or silver carp .. real stupid move.. .. problem here is that local netters use fine guage nets to fish .. along the banks.. and all sort of fry from diif species are fished out..

only recently i asked a few netters about their catch in at a certain water body.. and they said ther rarely get any murrel.. worth talking about..the best place to find the big ones are around dam walls .. but then one cant .. coz of restricted access. when the water is released ..from time to time .. they along with other fish find themselves in the upper reaches of the overflows .. and the local populace know all to well when wate ris released and are there promptly o get what ever they can.. that being said there still are few spots that produce some results from time to time .but that is hush hush...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:59 pm 
Fishaholic

dr aamir bhavnagri wrote:
i was wondering how much time a murrel fingerling takes to grow to the 1kg mark.

Arey nai malum? khub khub Khana khilaye to jaldi bade bade hote :lol: :lol: :lol:

@Hamour: It my pleasure to do as much as I can to lend my hands to make project murrel a successful one in Pune :P

Btw this link to Murrell Culture may be of some help to you or you might be aware of it as well :D :lol:

http://www.scienceandsociety-dst.org/Murrel.PDF

@omesh:You know what the latest price tag for big murrels from the shop next to fisheries department here?

Rs. 390/kg as on 5th november 2011.

these big murrels may corss over 2-3kg marks

here is the pic of the wild murrell caught from Nagarjunasagar. Big, fat and strong yet it weighed from scale only 3kg.

ignore the bad quality of pic as i forgot to set high quality on my mobile camera bfore clicking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:51 pm 
Fishaholic

arish,, yes i have that links which you have posted.. .. also taken the numbers of the jesuit society that are involved with the work. for inputs and know how..thanks though.. for the kind gesture..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Ok so this is the "project murrell" everyone's talking about... nice...