->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:52 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Will tagging and monitoring help with the conservation of rare and endangered fish species in India ?
Yes absolutely ! 89%  89%  [ 8 ]
No 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Not sure 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 9
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Saw an episode on a wildlife channel where the Mongolian trout or Taimen, was caught, measured, tagged and monitored...
Is the same tagging and monitoring done for endangered and rare species in india ? I think tagging might help with the fact that fishermen
will release such fish when caught(If educated properly or informed through the government)...Is it happening in India ? If no, Why not ?!

and one more thing are their specific laws and regulations regarding their conservation in India ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:18 pm 
Fishaholic

raka wrote:
Is the same tagging and monitoring done for endangered and rare species in india ? I think tagging might help with the fact that fishermen will release such fish when caught(If educated properly or informed through the government)...Is it happening in India ? If no, Why not ?!
and one more thing are their specific laws and regulations regarding their conservation in India ?

I have no clue with the first question, if it is being done or not, however I beg to differ when you say that fisherman will release such fish, plus, when caught in a net a fish eventually dies as it is not left in a position to revive by the time the fisherman come back to raise their nets.... Now even if educated properly and being informed by the government there is over fishing happening in many regions where nets are spread out like spider webs..... I don't know how much education will be enough and how much information would need to be provided. Well there are many reformatory measures in many areas which do try and evolve in India, some come into effect and are still manipulated by the lot of people and some never come into effect, it is but a rare occasion where a reformatory measure which comes into effect is implemented far off from being imbibed into the lot of us.... If no why not? good question..... look around you..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jokes apart, nice question, if no why not? very frankly, beats me..... I wrote a whole long paragraph but its too much of thought, lets keep it to fishing rather than going towards out government and what its doing...... we will be happier! :D

laws and regulations! mate they're not really required if people have Morales and scruples..... since people don't they are in place, but then again people don't change.

Sorry but in my humble opinion, not being pessimistic or optimistic but realistic, I cast my vote.

Regards,
Omesh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey omesh,
Ignore the areas which are netted with gill nets... God help those areas... but apart from that other nets like chinese nets, phekni etc and handline which are not left overnight can have a live fish capable of release !

Quote:
lets keep it to fishing rather than going towards out government and what its doing...... we will be happier! :D

In a few years there will be no fish... to fish... then we'll remember the good ol' days, when there were plenty of them... and :cry:

Quote:
laws and regulations! mate they're not really required if people have Morales and scruples..... since people don't they are in place, but then again people don't change.

Brother U.S wouldn't have need to implement rules and regulations on fishing if their were morales and scruples... and now look at them... the fish there are thriving and growing happily... and India... Oh India definitely needs regulations regarding fishing, and you know why... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"People can change, if the change is good, and in their favor":D

And I think at some places tagging and monitoring for some species is being done, and fishermen aware of this and helping these guys with the CNR !!! ...So if those areas can do it, why cant we ?

Keep up the angling spirit
regards
raka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Where in India bro, let me know..... I'd love to witness..... the good work our government does..... What I was trying to get at is... that even if implemented, how much will be followed. I completely agree with you, these words sound very nice... people and change and favor etc., What if people just want to be ignorant, don't want to know whats in their favor, whats the good and what to change to sustain the nature and even if they are aware, they still prefer doing as they have been...... Plus your posts are contradicting, What your saying is wishful thinking and is based on thinking alone, no procedures or concrete evidence, I agree with you when you say you think that tagging and monitoring will help. that is thinking based on previous experiments and evidence of results, however Is it happening in India ? If no, Why not ?! and And I think at some places tagging and monitoring for some species is being done, and fishermen aware of this and helping these guys with the CNR !!! ...So if those areas can do it, why cant we ? are very contradictory statements, If you were so sure you should have stated it and educated fellow dumb anglers like myself in your first post itself...... Now I don't know if its being done or not, and apparently your not too sure either, then again nets,,,,, this time we went fishing we saw big boats with big nets, medium boats with medium nets and smaller boats for bait fish with much smaller nets everywhere, also dead fish in some areas. so seeing is believing..... and frustrating!, secondly not necessarily things that are implemented here like the US will bring about the same results as they are there. Here corruption is something that is out of hand and almost impossible to combat. Look at the real picture and jump into statistics not just here but world over and historically, 95% of the wealth is with 5% of the world population and 5% of the wealth is with 95% of the population, its called capitalization and in this case even if 5% of the wealth from the 95% in the 5% peoples hands is utilized the world will be a better place but has it happened, no, theory of capitalization! There is greed everywhere. people prefer being ignorant to satisfy their greed and when asked or told it comes down to necessity and lively hood. I'm glad you thought of it and posted it and I hope some people make more of a difference to the environment as its more in their capacity to..... No discouraging in anyway brother good thought, but if india had the finances I'd rather we feed a few poor folk and take care of medication etc. this might help the country more than spending the money on the fish and this is the exact rebuttal that will come to the one who proposes what you have proposed to the govt.

Nice topic, nice thought, nice poll! however! god knows if it will happen!

Cheers! my spirits are always high! I'm the official B.A. it says a lot about the spirit in me! I try to find things I can do and are in my control, not planning on doing a venture for NATGEO! neither do I think a suggestion on IA would reach them and even if it did, god alone knows if they would have the time and money to save endangered species in India. The rig is almost ready and the weekend is nearing! lets see if something happens this weekend, otherwise I'm cooling off Pune's fishing scene for a bit and heading to the sea!

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:15 pm 
Fishaholic

If the government doesnt do it then We have to do it ! Ngo's have to do it !
and look ! It has already started ! they are doing it maybe not freshwater, but its a start !!!

http://www.wti.org.in/current-news/1103 ... India.html

that link almost answers all the contradictions you said were there... the govt n the fishermen...

actually am happy that you motivated me to search the net for this... or else I wouldnt have done it ! As the saying goes, "All thats needed is a push "
:lol: :lol: :lol:

this is what I just found by searching google... not saying I knew it already...

Sorry I mistakebly wrote the last episode of a tv series in which the giant catfish was caught by the help of local fishermen in the river between cambodia and laos...
you might have seen it...I was kinda confused and wrote in a hurry without searching the net... and remembering properly... my bad

And yes you have traveled and you know, I'm just a guy who has traveled less and learned more through the net etc... So obviously you know the reality much more than I do...

Topic aside, some good plans for the weekend, and there's a place so,
Don't give up hope on freshwater yet bro ! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Its not about who knows more, I am a research analyst and most of my time is spent in front of this box, it has more to offer than what meets the eye and often vice-verse, its about the situation, I hope you can also see that this thread has 5 replies and 3 votes (the third again is a pune resident) which are ours only..... When fishing across India is good why will someone who is enjoying catching and eating or releasing some good fish worry about Pune's situation. why should anyone, I wouldn't if I was in Hyderabad or somewhere up north or close to the Kaveri down south or anywhere on the coastline of our peninsular nation! Its this city which is alarming..... go through the website again, its an ngo, most ngo's today are money laundering scams which turn black money into white under the name of donation and charity...... most funds received by most n.g.o's are not spent on reasons stated! Well maybe I'm wrong and your rite, you found the link anyway didn't you! BRAVO! No doubt the site appears to be one with a difference and they might just make a difference wildlife/environment conservation in India, or by the time they reach pune, Tilapia might be 100% fish(only species left) in the river. Vivek Menon(the founder of the site the link you posted) should come out here and witness it! He will say we first got to sort out the elephants and tigers and then we can or rather might consider your fish, the other day you were with me at the bridge where you saw one locals net take out at least thousands of tiddler fish not even an inch big in size. Unfortunately what your saying about the link is not true it creates more questions than answers, plus most of everything is in Noida so they are not really spread across the country and also work based on convenience. My advice to you my friend is stop watching too much tv, it gives us some ideas that are in-executable. Rest your learning and learning real fast plus are very enthusiastic about angling and your close to environment and its conservation which is great! hoping a door opens for all like minded folk like us..... Until then a famous quote by a close friend "Fishing is a madness! Put it to good use!"

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes absolutely brother... as much as my hands are itching to write more, I wouldn't take this further... :lol: thank you for this healthy discussion, from which I learned a lot... and motivated to do something about it...

If anyone else has seen, heard or done any tagging and monitoring for endangered and rare species of fish in India, Please do post replies... and Do VOTE !!! :D

Keep up the angling spirit !

Regards
raka