->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:27 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:03 pm 

Hi I'm new in angling i have been trying to catch some black colour eel tail cat fish from a lake at Chennai called retteri lake.... I have tried many times with diff bait chicken liver prawns and paste made from bread and egg none i landed yet... That lake is full of medium size catfish and rumor their that hug fish about 15 to 20kg also nu even murrel/snakehead called veral in local to catch it only mullet live bait to use nu local told me.... Still now i dint catch anythin. I dint try worms as bait as its tough to find for me.. Can anyone give me a tip so i can get an chance to get fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:53 am 

hi saru, worms are pretty good bait. go to any plant nursery and ask them for some worms from their compost pit (they might charge you a small fare)'

Also you can try spinners, not sure how that works on the said fish (I suspect they are either mulley's or Magur's)

this image is that of a mulley (pic by sarath)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/sam1989u.jpg/

this image is that of a magur
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4372 ... angur2.jpg

BTW, i m not sure if both are morphs of the same species, since i too am a newbie

good luck

Post subject: Hi Anandiyer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:50 am 

yes mulley THOSE two fish resemble as same as the fish eel tail catfish but only difference is here its fully black and its little poISON tentacles in head which bigger one even lead to heart attack. But Where is fish is full of weeds and many plants in lake so spinner get struck often. Next time i try with worms but how to hook pu fully of part of worm is enough ah bro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:25 am 

while using worms i like to do two things (on one day only one of them works :-))

First method: cut the worm to the size of the hook PLUS a little left out. then pass the hook thru the belly of the worm such that the whole hook is covered and a small tail portion is sticking out from the end of the hook. this portion wriggles and attracts the fish (so i think)

Second method: pass a whole worm multiple times thru the hook while leaving some parts which are not passed thru, just like you would stitch the worm. When i use this method i never try to commit the hook on the first strike, i wait for multiple strikes (3 or 4) before i decide to yank the hook

THere are other methods as well which you find on youtube, but frankly these 2 have worked for me so i continue to use them

Regards, Anand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:12 am 
Fishaholic

u said heart attack?????

Be-careful man before u decided to catch one of them... 8)

Btw.. In normal case the lakes are full of normal foods (small fishes) which is the best feed for those big fishes...

So I will suggested to use some live bait ( any types of small fishs..). Hooked into the tail and always remember, it will take pretty much time to take ur bait by the big fish.

And the best time to catch this kind of fish is evening or night.

Happy Fishing...

Post subject: yes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:04 pm 

yes those fish are little dangerous because that fish have ability to breathe air out of water this eel tail catfish and murrel won't die for min 5 hours outside water... So only that have to handel that poisonous tentacles of that catfish carefully...