->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:33 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Please Teach Me...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi every one,

Recently discovered that I can target olive carp, in Powai, using a fly but being handicapped in the lore of fly fishing, request all of you to guide me to master this art also.

Starting with Olive carp, I would like to graduate to some sea fishing, specially Barra and Gt.

Please start with basics as even the term used in fly fishing are alien to me.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Alibhai

Flyfishing refers to a type of angling where you use the weight of the line to cast the lure(fly), rather than the weight of the lure.The casting stroke comprises of two consecutive casts: the back cast and front cast, which is how the fly is delivered to the target. The back cast and front cast are supposed to be mirror images of each other, only difference being that in the front cast, the fly delivery has to be incorporated as well.

The back cast allows you to straighten out the line and leader, which is required for delivering a smooth and efficient forward/front cast. If you will PM your address i'll send you a couple of dvds with proper instruction, that will help setup you up with the cast in no time. The cast is the lure for the fisherman, its been said. I, too, have found myself lost in repetitions of trying to emulate a good cast, akin to poetry in motion. Only caveat is, that it may take some time to get a good handle on the casting stroke, and requires some investment in practice hours.

You'll need a flyrod and fly reel for this. Flyrods are classified according to the weight of the flyline and consequentially the rod [ 1Wt being the lightest, 13 wt being the heaviest] and according to the action[ slow action = accurate but slow casts with less distance, medium action = best compromise for intermediate and beginners, fast action = long distance casts, but difficult to learn the action in the beginning]. Action refers to the stiffness of the rod , the bend in the rod. In flycasting, you force a bend in the rod to form a closed loop , which then travels and unfurls the leader to deliver the fly. The loop is the most essential part of the cast and the most difficult as well. Slow action means that the rod flexes more[ the rod bends in the mid section depending on the amount of force used] and bends slowly, so that you can feel and see the bend being formed, so response time is adequate to make both the back and forward cast. In fast action rods, the rod is stiff and the bend is formed faster, and only in the tip section of the rod. This allows for higher line speeds and hence more distance, but its difficult to get the feel of the rod to form good loops, initially,

Flyline and Flyrod weight are closely linked. 4wt/5wt are ideal for trout being light rods/line which can handle the fish well without being overpowering for the fish. 6 Wt are better for windy conditions for trout, and for nymphing. For carping and saltwater if i were to buy just one rod it would be either an 8wt or a 9 wt.

Fly reels are geared in a 1:1 ratio. Drag is set with a washer, which is usually controlled by a rotary knob on the side of the reel, pivoted on the central shaft of the reel. The fish is played more with the bend on the rod, than the reel itself. Palming the spool with the fleshy part of your palm , when a fish is running, also acts like a drag. Fly reels are described in arbor size, which refers to the amount of storage you have for your flyline on the reel. Mid arbor and Large arbor are preferred.

Flylines are hollow nylon "tubes" coated with a gliding agent, that reduces friction. You always require terminal tackle, being the leader and tippet. Leader sizes vary from 3' to 12' depending on application. 9' leaders are considered par for just about everything. Leader materials can be either nylon/regular mono or fluorocarbon. Fluorocarbons are more expensive but have better strength and are deemed invisible under water( having the same refraction index as water). Leaders are generally tapered towards the end. This helps in turning the fly over and reduces tangles at the end of the line. Tippet is referred to a 1.5' to 3' section that you will tie to the end of the leader. The tippet thickness should be the same as the end of the leader. Tippet is basically for the flies. When you change too many flies, the tippet (obviously) runs out with each fly ties. Rather that tying the fly on the leader and loosing the leader more often, replacing tippet is a much more efficient and cost effective way of changing flies! Leaders and tippets are available as matched pairs by all major manufacturers. They are rated in break-test strength by the pounds ( 3lb, 4lbs,5 Lbs, 6Lbs, 8Lbs, 10Lbs, 12Lbs, 15Lbs, 20Lbs etc) or in an "X" notation; 0x being the thickest section and 7x being the lightest. For carping and salting I use 1x, 0x, 10lb, 12Lb test leader/tippets. You'll surely never break the flyline ( unless you cut it somehow), the lost fish are usually on count of frayed leaders, tippets and bad knots!!

Flylines are generally sold as floating lines , sinking lines and intermediate lines. Floating lines are required for top water action, when you want the fly to float on top. Sinking lines do just what they say, they sink and take the fly down to the required depth. Alternatively you can sink a floating line by using weights( split shots etc) , but casting the heavier rigs requires more practice, to avoid tangles. You can buy spare spools for most fly reels. These spools are readily interchangeable so one spool with a floating line and one spool with a sinking/intermediate line will suffice.

You would also need backing. Dacron 20lb or 30Lb is ideal. Its usually tied to the flyline with a nail knot. Flyline is generally 100'. Leader/tipper would be about 9' to 12' depending on how you're rigged. 150'to 200' of backing is insurance , in case your fish decides to dance with you. The fun of flyfishing is the light leader/tippet combination that tests your patience is every possible way. Backing just allows for a little more leeway, in your favor!! That being said, trout will almost never get you into backing, unless you get a monster on the other end of the line. Mahaseer, carp and salties can easily get you into the backing and stressing out for more!!

FLIES!!!

What can i say.... Match the hatch, to figure out exactly what your game is eating and to imitate it with a lure made of a hook, feathers, tinsel, dubbing, thread and some voodoo :) :)

You will find a million flies online and they all may work equally well. But to start with a small and effective selection is how you WON'T break the bank. Fly patterns for carp would include eggs, grass/moss, dragonfly and damsel fly nymphs, bottom insects available in the waters that you fish. For salties the best patterns are the clousers and the deceivers.Different colors and sizes are important to "match the hatch" which refers to matching what the fish are currently eating.

COSTS!!

This is the tricky part. Flyfishing needs a little bit of gear to start off, but once the basics are covered, how much you want to spend on it depends more on your Fish-a-holism rather then actual NEEDS!

You can get flyfishing combos starting from $100 which would include rod/reel/line/leader, ready to fish outfit. If you ask me I would advise to spend about $200 to $300 for an outfit, but thats just me. The $100 outfit would also suffice , to start with.

You will need to buy an assortment of leaders/tippets. Budget out about $50 minimum to start with. This part is expensive as you will be carrying multiple sizes of each pair.

Flies: set aside about $50-$100 for this one. Initially you may buy a larger assortment to understand what works and what doesnt in your waters. Some flies are constant and work everywhere, the rest you need to experiment with. Flies start at about $1 and go upto $5 a piece depending on sizes, materials and complexity[ and BRAND!!].

This should help set up up. Ask me/call me for any specific queries you have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:27 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

Thank you very much for the time taken to explain the nuances of fly fishing.

Will come back to you for further doubts.

Regards,

Ali.

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:41 am 
Fishaholic

Man!
Thank you!
[smilie=superkewl.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:45 am 
Fishaholic

who else can explain the details of fly fishing better than the Master Flycaster himself :-) Thanks for the Info Bobby [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:39 pm 
Fishaholic

lionheart wrote:
who else can explain the details of fly fishing better than the Master Flycaster himself :-) Thanks for the Info Bobby [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

hehehe......master flycaster...i SO wish!!!!
learning and sharing...the never ending cycle of the angler!!

:D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:36 am 
Fishaholic

Ali,

Once you have the tackle. Check out the following for casting instructions. Helped me a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHuueOVBm84

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:41 am 
Fishaholic

Mel Krieger...definitely the best starting point!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:23 pm 

Bobby, Thanks for the detailed post.

Even I was thinking of trying my hands on fly fishing and this post helped me understanding the basics.

Post subject: Please guide me!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:51 pm 

This might appear very basic and silly but there are certain terms,techniques and methods used in fishing that i somehow cannot decipher after having done quite a lot of fishing irrespective of the size of fish that i have caught:(

When you are doing shore fishing/in a marina/from a jetty,is it necessary to put a live bait with a float?

What type of rod and reel is best suited for for still water/lake fishing?

When exactly are you supposed to use a float? and when do you use a live and artificial bait?

Are mepps/rapala plugs a type of artificial lure?

How do you gauge the weight to be put on a line when fishing in a lake,sea,river?

What do you mean by ground baiting and how is it done?

Where does the technique of trailing work best?

As per my knowledge of thumb rules in fishing the basic line setup would be a float,then a weight and then a hook...Please correct me if I am wrong and suggest possible ways to modify this.

I am really tired of going for fishing and returning empty handed and at times with very little ones.What is that thing which has to be done and what you people do which makes you successful?or is it a combination of luck and patience?

Post subject: Re: Please guide me!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:39 pm 
Fishaholic

ostrocastro wrote:
This might appear very basic and silly but there are certain terms,techniques and methods used in fishing that i somehow cannot decipher after having done quite a lot of fishing irrespective of the size of fish that i have caught:(

When you are doing shore fishing/in a marina/from a jetty,is it necessary to put a live bait with a float?

When exactly are you supposed to use a float? and when do you use a live and artificial bait?

How do you gauge the weight to be put on a line when fishing in a lake,sea,river?

As per my knowledge of thumb rules in fishing the basic line setup would be a float,then a weight and then a hook...Please correct me if I am wrong and suggest possible ways to modify this.

I am really tired of going for fishing and returning empty handed and at times with very little ones.What is that thing which has to be done and what you people do which makes you successful?or is it a combination of luck and patience?

Its all here! Trust me. Just use the search button!
If you still don't find anything then send me a pm! I don't know much but I've found some answers to the same questions you have. Some I'm still finding! Its a science where there is theory and practical! where theory are guidelines and practicals actually give you the experience! Like most experiments of physics chem and bio you might have attended at school! you know that there are antigens in blood and the different serums to use for clotting to occur and to expose the agents A, B AB and O however till you don't put a drop of blood on the slide and actually see what happens your theory is correct but you haven't experienced it. When I first met some of the best anglers from the forum at powai, I was asked a question very casually.... Have you gone through the forum?! and My prompt reply was yes! Most found it strange that I didnt have any theory in place and I claim to have gone through the forum aswell.... I went back home and ever since have regularly been surfing the forum its threads its people and their experiences I urge you my friend this sport has no place for arrogance! not even a bit! Its not anyone but the sport itself that will teach you not to be arrogant! and in loosing the arrogance there is only gaining of knowledge and experience which makes one a more learned and humble person! PLEASE GO THROUGH THE FORUM! Respect the people who've made it and who are on it! You will answer all your questions on your own in time!

Best Regards,
[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:15 pm 

Thank you so much! I will surely go through the forum:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Ok, I would try to answer your questions here..

While shore fishing from Marina or a Jetty, live baiting is very productive. There are many form of live baiting and using float is one of them. Floats can either be used for bite detection or for self hooking. For self hooking, big high density or bulb type floats are used. The other way of live baiting is to drift your live bait. Simply attach the live bait to the hook and let it drift. The toughest part while live baiting with weights, is to cast it out long distance without de-hooking or killing the bait. There are many advanced method which can be used to cast live bait a long distance without any problem. You can search the youtube for that.

There are many application and type of fishing in fresh water also, so the type of rod will depend on the particular type of fishing. For starter, i will recommend a 8-15 lb, medium action 7 feet rod with an open spool reel.

In advance angling, float is used for many applications. The primary use of float is to detect bite but floats are also used for self hooking rigs. The buoyancy of float is used as the force to hook the fish, while it is pulling the weight underwater. Some advance float are also used for additional baiting over the hook.

Mepps and Rapala are manufacturers name of artificial lures.

The application of weight differs with rigs. basically, the use of weight is to increase casting distance, holding the bait on one spot and self hooking. In case, the weight is not being used for self hooking purposes, least the weight, better it is.

Putting additional bait in a swim to attract fishes is known as ground baiting. Ground baiting can be done before staring fishing, during the fishing or it can be done over a period of time. Pre-baiting increases the chances of one catching fish.

Trolling near shore line (Rocks) or near any structure is best.

The above is the basic setup but there are many advanced setups which are used for fishing.

Regards,

Ali.

PS. This is not a right place to start this discussion and in future, such kind of topics should be in bait, tackle and tactics section.

Last edited by angler_ali on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:30 pm 

Thank you so much Ali Bhai.This information is very helpful and has answered many more of my queries.I will here onward post such things in the bait,tackle and tactics section!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:43 pm 
Fishaholic

[smilie=superkewl.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Good stuff Ali Bhai.

Post subject: fly fishing
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:51 pm 

Dear Ali Bhai

Its been three years since I joined this forum and had uploaded one or two stories on fly fishing. Did not upload much after that but have been enjoying a read now and then. Have still been fly fishing and it is exciting for fly fishing to now have its own section as also some fantastic updates and stories from India itsely. Will def load some picture and stories in the near future.

Self will be in India and specifically in Poona from 17th August until 24th August. Am more than happy to show you the basics of fly casting as also tying basic saltwater flies. Am saltwater fly fishing here in Oman from the shore or Kayak.

Dear Ali Bhai

We have not met but your stories and feedback makes this forum like family so I would on behalf of this forum like to offer you a complete saltwater fly fishing set along with some flies that I will tie. Only need to know how to get same to you. We can PM the details from now on. It is an honour to do this, so please do not refuse.Will also bring along some DVD's on this subject. Seeing someone firsthand will def help in fly fishing.

Carlton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:59 am 
Fishaholic

See ostrocastro! You got most of your answers now get to the river/lake or closest water body and use the methods and catch a fish!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:08 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Carlton,

What to say man. Thank you very much for your words and offer. Be my guest in Powai for a day or two of fishing. Your offer of present is very generous and I am afraid I will not be able to accept it. Meanwhile I will also make some feeders and balanced rigs for you to try and catch some good Carps.

Yep, I would love to learn the basics from you and for that I am really thank full.

There is a Barra, splashing the surface, not far away from Mumbai. (I had caught it previously also :lol: ) which I would love to land again, on a fly rod.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:19 pm 

Yes Omesh!..I have got most of my answers and i am heading straight away to the lake and will not come back till i hook a biggie!

Ali Bhai..can i also join you...so that i get to see how you actually do your things!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:00 am 
Fishaholic

ostrocastro wrote:
Yes Omesh!..I have got most of my answers and i am heading straight away to the lake and will not come back till i hook a biggie!

Nice optimism there my friend, damn I'm looking for a clean lake where my new made feeders will work. Lucky you, you have a lake close by...

Regards,

P:S: Its ok if you don't hook anything or even if its a small fish. Do come back..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Today I once again went through the post and I am happy that this time round, I was able to understand much more, armed with the instruction received from Bobby, watching video suggested by Jeen and spending some quality time beside water with Carlton, understanding the dynamics of fly casting.

Thanks once again to all of you who have taken time to share and specially to Carlton for a very nice gift of a fly rod/ reels and his very detailed instructions and demonstrations.

Right now, I am practicing and once familiar with casting, hit the water and try to catch some thing.

Till then... :P

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:10 pm 
Fishaholic

all the best alibhai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:36 am 
Enlightened

Ali Bhai

That surely is the beauty of this frienndship we all share across the ether. I have no doubt that we alll await your success in your endeavours as we all await the success of each and every one of us to thrill our hearts.

THANK YOU INDIAN ANGLER!

All the best

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:24 am 
Fishaholic

Good luck Ali bhai :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:26 am 
Fishaholic

Guys,

How good is a 30 ft. cast using a fly rod?

Regards,

Ali. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:41 am 
Fishaholic

30' is good when starting out....most trout are caught within 30-40' of the angler anyway!!

eventually the cast will open out....i'm maxed out at about 60-70' right now...need to work on the double haul...tough one!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:48 am 
Fishaholic

bobbychyma wrote:
.need to work on the double haul...tough one!!!

Yes, the double haul. Really tough work... :roll:

Regards,

Ali.