->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:01 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:13 am 
Fishaholic

Greetings,

I am planning to take up fly fishing and to start with I attended a 4 hour lesson today from a licensed Guide and Instructor Marc de Jong. I learned a lot in the fly world. We also spent some time in the water catching a few small fish in a stream running near my house.

Pics of the creek:

Bait that were under the rocks in the stream were freshwater shrimp and other small worms

We used a sinking fly and bounced it on the bottom similar to jigging.
Marc caught a small mouth bass and I caught one in the same size.
I also caught a small sunfish which you can see in the picture below :-)

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:46 am 
Fishaholic

What a beautiful place. And you say this stream runs close to your house. I no one thing for sure, I would never be home.

cheers mate. Great pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:38 am 
Fishaholic

1st two pictures shows that place is very beautiful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Lucky chap! That's a really beautiful location, Maruthu.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Great going Maruthu. And as Bops said... "Lucky Chap!"

Cheers,
Madhur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:28 pm 
Enlightened

So you are into fly fishing now....and wat do you fish for???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:50 am 
Fishaholic

Beautiful place and a good thing taking that flyfishing course.

Post subject: Fly Fishing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:34 am 

Hello Maruthu

Am really excited that you have started flyfishing. Am sure more Indian will take to this fantastic artistic sport. Its gets even better once you start tying your own flies.

Have just completed a year of flyfishing and thanks to some friends out here have learnt a lot.

I have just ordered and received two CD's on flytying. Am also practising the double haul tehnique to cast more than 70 feet out.

Planning a trip this friday at 0500 local time just before high tide. will upload report and pictures. Mainly get small trevally

Carlton

Post subject: Re: Fly Fishing
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks everyone for the comments. I live in a very old town in Pennsylvania, in which the old fashion is still maintained.
This place is sorrounded by woods and you can see wild animals including deer everywhere, they cross the stream while you fish.

I shall get some more pictures coming weekend.

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:24 pm 
Fishaholic

flyfishingoman wrote:
Am really excited that you have started flyfishing. Am sure more Indian will take to this fantastic artistic sport. Its gets even better once you start tying your own flies. Planning a trip this friday at 0500 local time just before high tide. will upload report and pictures. Mainly get small trevally

Carlton

Carlton,

I wanted to start fly fishing from a while back, but now came the right time for it.
There are some nice place around here, both freshwater and saltwater that provide good oppurtunities for a fly fisherman.

Hoping to find some nice fish on the fly. And also waiting for your trip report.

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:29 pm 
Fishaholic

ironsimon wrote:
So you are into fly fishing now....and wat do you fish for???

Simon,

Yes, I am into fly fishing now. And also planning to fly fish both freshwater and saltwater.

The freshwater fishes around here are:
Brown trout, rainbow trout, smallmouth bass, Largemouth bass, carp, crappie, sunfish.
I think there are other fishes like Pikies, Muskies and some other. But will get back with a detailed list later.

The saltwater fishes around here are:
Stripers and Bluefish that are commonly caught from shore.

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:57 am 
Fishaholic

Marthu,

If you dont mine me asking what is the lesson costing you?

Bobby

Post subject: nice spot
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:36 pm 
Enlightened

hi maruthu

great going maruthu. obviously you knew where your heart was (with the fish of course) and chose your living space accordingly. i guess the fishes in chennai are really going to sigh with relief now, if there are any left that is, anyway good you tasted the goodies our indian waters had to offer or the dearth of it befor you left india, so do keep it up continue sharing your wonderful experiences

vincent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:42 am 
Fishaholic

Vincent, thanks for the comment. I will be back home in a while for those GTs on the FLY.

Bobby, It cost me US $ 129.00 for a 4 hour lesson.

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Great going sir, I am practicing fly fishing for the last one year, I learnt a lot from 29 videos posted by "booniecat" on Youtube. just type >> "fly fishing lesson" and you will get all of them

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:20 pm 

Hello Maruthu

Would be great if you could post a picture of the fly and the fish that was caught with that fly. we can all learn from this sharing and this great sport. Will do the same . Colour and presentation is very important. Here mostly chatreuse, olive and tan are great colours.

Small clousers and crazy charlie are best and can almost gurantee fish on an incoming tide. Need to know th tide and the colour of the water.

Thanks Carlton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:44 am 
Enlightened

hi carlton

you got me all interested in fly fishing man, and have already ordered my equipment over ebay, find many good deals there, but there is just this doubt i have to ask you, is your fly fishing in oman all done by sight, i mean do you see, stalk and cast out to fishes you are able to see in the water or do you practise cast and sweep the area using your flies searching for the fish??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:45 am 

Hello Vincent

Its both 50/50. Last friday was fishing on an incoming tide and suddenly say 4 or 5 trevall about a kilo chomping at some fish at the surface. they were around 30 feet from me. could not see them clearly but just their movement. Cast ahead of them. Three four big strips and wow, bang the olive clouser went. Took around 70 feet of my fly line but was able to land him after 3 or 4 minutes. Am usind an intermediate line that tends to sink slowly. Cast again as the fish were still feeding and immediatelay started stripping my line. Could see the fly on the surface . After two strips another trevally, same size took the fly. Completely visual. You need Poloroid Glasses. One to see better into the water and secondly and most imporatntly to save your eyes in case the fly hits your face when casting.
Got the fish out. Cast again and allowed the clouser to sink as the fish were not on the surface. Bang went the fly and the third trevally was on. Lost it while fighting the fish. Was not properly hooked.

It all depends at what depth your fishing. Most of the time I allow the fly to sink and then start stripping. Do not see the fish but can feel them biting with my stripping Hand.

You need some basic help at the start with the whole setup as also the casting technique. Its best if u see someone doing it. Its much easier.
I have got a few DVDs. send me your address and I will send a copy thru someone going to cochin. Please give TEL numbers too. Please share with as much fishing friends as you can. Will also send you some flies that I make. Are you fishing saltwater or freshwater. For saltwater you need to cast out 70 feet or more. After a year have just started casting between 60 feet and 70 feet. Have a friend to helped me initially who can cast allmost all of 90 feet all the time. The big fish season out here is October till March. We are planning a three day trip early October. Big Bream as also Permit Sharry and Bluefish.

My sister is in allepey and am there almost once a year. will keep in touch with you when am there next ...maybe december and spend a day with you to show you some casting.

Have some probelms with my camera and did not get a chance to take a picture. Another friend took a phone picture. As soon as I get same will upload . Indian Angler has some fly fishing equipment. For the sea you need an 8 weight or higher. For rivers and streams you would need a 5 or 6 weight.

Once you start you can get completely hooked. Am fly fishing twice a week. Its clean as you dont need to touch any raw bait. You can keep changing patterns colours and flies depending on the fish you are after.
Here its all sa;twater flyfishing.

Carlton