->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:21 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi All...

As most of you must be aware, I have recently stepped into angling... Was in Karwar for the Dussera Holidays. Had big dreams of landing an MJ when leaving from Pune, but they all crashed with every cat fish and eel I caught. :(

I reached Karwar on thursday morning. Prepared for the evening tide. Went to the Breakwater 1 Hr before the tide. Caught some small Bangada (Mackerel) at the fishing port to use as live bait. Started casting a fire tiger, but after several casts, nothing hit the lure. Then changed to a popper, again the same results.

Then changed to live bait (Mackerel), still no hits. Then changed to dead bait, and after ages got a pull. After reeling in a bit, the pull felt familiar --- as usual, there was a Moray at the end of the line. After a few more Morays called in a day.

Then after dinner, went to an estuary near my place, with sardines as dead bait. Landed a few small cat fish.

Next morning, had a location in mind, The Karwar Bridge. Had seen a lot of activity under the bridge a few years back. After trying lures for some time changed to dead bait (Shrimps). Landed a small flounder and a cat fish. Then went back home.

For the Friday evening tide, had planned to visit devbaug beach. Started casting with some dead shrimps. Landed a small sting ray and lots more cat fish.

Then I gave up fishing for the trip.

Saturday morning, I went to a place where the local anglers get their catch to sell to an agent. They go to far off places in their boats and are back after a day. The catches were awesome, some MJs, Big Cat Fish, Parrot fishes, etc...

I'm not sure what went wrong with me. Are there no more fish along the Karwar coast to be caught? Has the coast been over fished? Have the fish migrated? etc etc... I left the place full of questions and an unfulfilled dream of landing a decent fish.

Regards,
Humaid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:17 pm 
Fishaholic

heartening my friend! It is sad the only population that's on an increase ever since inception are homo sapiens. All others have been reduced to grave numbers and some have become extinct, like the dodo. Its sad the way things are we might just have tales and used tackle in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi mate,

Don't be discouraged as i can read in your post that you got some small fishes. sometimes it happens that we don't get what we want but i am sure one day your dream is going to be fulfilled. so keep trying :-) :-)

regards and tight lines
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Some pics from the Local fisher men.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Humaid,

No trip report is a negative report. Spending time beside water and trying to outwit the willy dweller of water (read-fish), is in itself a pleasure.

Be happy that you got the opportunity to spend some time trying to catch some fish.

Have faith and lot of paitence and I am sure, you will start getting them.

Regards,

Ali. :D

Ps.. Photo posted by you are really beautiful. Some lovely fishes..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Waow Really beautiful Fishes.
Humaid u caught Sting rays flouders and Mackreals enough for a start na yaar. Nice catch for the table. Next time there wil be more in store.
Catfishes are everywhere dont know why they dont hav much pradators :evil:
Many tell me that fresher the bait will hook Pradatory fishes and if the bait is not fresh it will attract moray eels, catfish and rays. but dont know if it really works coz moray eels pick almost anything.
I believe u were using fresh bait coz u caught som live mackreals.
I remember fishing at Bhagmala jetty had i to cast on my right hand side of the jetty id get only catfish on every cast. and on the left hand side i d get all other fishes like Bream, MJs croakers.

About the bridge how was the flow of water down ? How were u using the lures ?ie where were u casting from? wat direction u were casting Ie towards the sea, upstream or parallel to the pillars?

Karwar is really a beautiful place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:05 pm 
Fishaholic

do not give up , you will catch fish if you continue till then enjoy the scenery and fresh air

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

Humaid, next time try using a moving deadbait to avoid morays. Movement also triggers strikes from predatory fish like barra and jacks.

Keep trying you will land that fish of your dreams...

Cheers
Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks a lot Bops.

I managed to land a few MJs after this trip. But still waiting to land a size worth mentioning. Thanks a lot for the tip on moving bait, will try that next time.

Regards,
Humaid